C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Overnight parking at events

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

As Frankie pointed out, I had the unfortunate experience of having our car stolen.

The worst part of this entire ordeal is that I now find it extremely hard to take an overnight trip, and expect to enjoy it.

I know that many say to just insure it and not worry about it, but that's easier said than done.

I now take more precautions than most. The obvious precautions are a hidden battery switch, and a removable link that powers the fuel pump. If I'm going to stay overnight, I have a 1/2" coated cable that I run through both the front wheels with a case hardened lock.

Additionally, I have another heavy lock that runs through the back rim and captures one of the bars to the four link.

I hate to have to resort to these measures, but after being bitten once, I don't want to get bit again.

Yet the fact still remains, if they want it bad enough, they're going to get it.

At least this time, if they target my car again, they will have to work much harder to get it.

Time is of the essence with car thieves. I think they would/may pass on my car as the extra precautions that I take would definitely cost them additional moments of time.

All in all, it sucks to have to resort to these tactics just to simply enjoy our hobby. But reality is that there are some bad people out there, and they'll steal anything that they can get their hands on.

Pat
The following users liked this post:
Robert61 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:57 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Also, as far as individuals stating what they may, or may not do with a firearm.

Public forum(s), social media, cell phones, text messages, computers etc....are a boon for attorneys. I sure as hope to heck no one on here ever has to resort to use of a firearm against an individual....for any reason at all, because I can guarantee you that these statements made here will make it into the court process as evidence.

Pat
GTOguy (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Pat I certainly know your pain. I had a camaro stolen 3 times. They final time after they stripped it they burned it to the ground. Then I replaced it, it was my daughters car at this point, with a Trans Am. We had it no time when a woman pulled up where my daughter worked and saw the perp pulling the driver glass out. She got the license number of the getaway van. The cops came and took a report but told my daughter they weren't going to do anything about it. I called and was able to get ahold of this officer and we had quite the conversation about him telling her they weren't going to do anything. My wife was asking me to stop because she was afraid they would come and arrest me. Then his supervisor got on the phone and she said he said I was being belligerent. I then informed her how I felt about the lack of police interest in car theft. But in the end they were exactly right with the license number in hand they did absolutely nothing to investigate the attempted theft.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Get a portable security camera. At least you'll be able to see who vandalizes or steals your car: https://reolink.com/best-security-ca...hing-your-car/
Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Originally Posted by R66
This went way too far to the right on the pistol.
It's the CF, it's what we do - LOL!

Enjoy your trip, I hope it is uneventful for you and R66...

Old 09-19-2018, 11:13 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
I guess the real question here should be how did we allow our country to become a place where criminals are considered before victims. Not just on car theft but everything.
I can answer that one, but it's for CFOT, not here. Jordan Peterson believes it's mostly due to what our universities have taught for the past 30+ years. I agree with him. As Abe Lincoln said (about 1860) : "Today's University students will become tomorrows government". That has happened. The Clinton's are a textbook example. 'nuff said........
The following 3 users liked this post by GTOguy:
59BlueSilver (09-19-2018), ptjsk (09-19-2018), Robert61 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
Pat I certainly know your pain. I had a camaro stolen 3 times. They final time after they stripped it they burned it to the ground. Then I replaced it, it was my daughters car at this point, with a Trans Am. We had it no time when a woman pulled up where my daughter worked and saw the perp pulling the driver glass out. She got the license number of the getaway van. The cops came and took a report but told my daughter they weren't going to do anything about it. I called and was able to get ahold of this officer and we had quite the conversation about him telling her they weren't going to do anything. My wife was asking me to stop because she was afraid they would come and arrest me. Then his supervisor got on the phone and she said he said I was being belligerent. I then informed her how I felt about the lack of police interest in car theft. But in the end they were exactly right with the license number in hand they did absolutely nothing to investigate the attempted theft.
My wife and I have been victims lately of several thefts and the Police were not even interested in investigating. In one instance an employee was caught redhanded with his crime, admitted to it, we had dozens of witnesses (customers who he ripped off) video surveillance of his last crime and his admission on tape that he was responsible. Even though we were out about 50K, the detectives were not even interested. We had to retain a lawyer to force the D.A. to do something and they let him off with 6 months probation and a small fine.

One of the detectives told me that if violence is not involved in the crime, then they really don't have time to mess with it. "That's what insurance is for" and the criminals know it.

It's a sad world we live in.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I can answer that one, but it's for CFOT, not here. Jordan Peterson believes it's mostly due to what our universities have taught for the past 30+ years. I agree with him. As Abe Lincoln said (about 1860) : "Today's University students will become tomorrows government". That has happened. The Clinton's are a textbook example. 'nuff said........
yep and I'm a firm believer in this. My granddaughter is in her 3rd year now but they haven't ruined her yet. Its certainly not from a lack of trying. And one other institution that gets involved in things it shouldn't. But I'll leave that one alone I'll have everybody pissed off.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:34 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer 2.0

One of the detectives told me that if violence is not involved in the crime, then they really don't have time to mess with it. "That's what insurance is for"

It's a sad world we live in.
The assumption is that everything is insured. What if it isn't? What about the deductible? What about the higher rates you will pay,and they will often raise your rates for something that is not your fault?.
Doug

Old 09-19-2018, 01:47 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Chapter2
, no one gets killed, .
The world would be a lot better off if a fair amount of certain people were killed. A career criminal causes a lot of damage, loss and grief during his tenure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy 60 minutes did story on this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Minutes.mp4

Doug

Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettegeezer
Doing something stupid would also include driving into NJ
!
You will never find me in NJ, NY, IL, or CA for that reason.

Doug

Old 09-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Thanks for bringing this up right now. I'm going to a 2 day show this weekend and a week long show the following week. I can get my preworrying started early.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:13 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
The assumption is that everything is insured. What if it isn't? What about the deductible? What about the higher rates you will pay,and they will often raise your rates for something that is not your fault?.
Doug
Yea, we weren't covered for what he did. That 50K was out of our pocket. Eventually my wife closed her business, she felt that she couldn't trust anyone any more and refused to hire a replacement employee. I am happy she finally just quit, it was a real strain for 2 years trying to repair the damage.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Originally Posted by AZDoug
The world would be a lot better off if a fair amount of certain people were killed. A career criminal causes a lot of damage, loss and grief during his tenure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy 60 minutes did story on this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Minutes.mp4

Doug
I was implying that the OP could potentially get shot....you approach a thief with a gun, and you don't expect HIM/HER to be packing heat? You think the thief is acting alone? A potential fatal mistake. Over a car? A car. Seriously?

Last edited by Tonio; 09-19-2018 at 02:21 PM.
ptjsk (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:25 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Prior to the automobile, a horse was a person's primary method of transportation.
Stealing a horse was a hanging offense.
Why not hanging (or executing) someone today for stealing a person's method of transportation?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Tonio
Drifting

I'd like to think that as humans we've made some progress in our evolution from cavemen.....lol
Old 09-19-2018, 02:38 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have a Viper security system on my car and it works very well. As soon as you get close to the car the alarm is telling you to STAND BACK. The car will not start with the system activated. I don’t think they are very expensive but you have to get into the wiring under the dash.

Get notified of new replies

To Overnight parking at events

Old 09-19-2018, 02:42 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Prior to the automobile, a horse was a person's primary method of transportation.
Stealing a horse was a hanging offense.
Why not hanging (or executing) someone today for stealing a person's method of transportation?
I have no problem with that.
But, back in 1870, if your horse was stolen someplace in the middle of nowhere, that could be a death sentence for you. If your truck is stolen 30 miles out in the boonies, today, the same thing could happen. Lots of places out west don't have cell coverage.

"Men are not hanged for stealing horses, but that horses may not be stolen "– George Savile...

Doug
Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Kind of depends where the show is, but I always pick a high end hotel and if possible with secured parking. I stay away from the motel 6 and highway hotels. Also makes a difference is the town or area. I have never had a problem in the areas I drive the '62 (or other collector cars) to. I do like the idea some have said of having someone to look after the cars at night. If they all parked together in a limited access area with someone watching it might prove to be a very safe venue
Old 09-19-2018, 02:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Chapter2
I'd like to think that as humans we've made some progress in our evolution from cavemen.....lol
right.... and, as the world's policemen, there are places where we are either trying to get them to come out of the caves or to go back in....
Bill
Tonio (09-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Overnight parking at events