C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Overnight parking at events

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:08 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
If you were reimburse by the insurance company then that is true.
Yea, she was right.

It's pretty hard to argue that, but it's still not right. Just because the insurance company paid me, the thief (alleged), is now free and clear, and ready to profit on his stolen item.

I've been wrong before, but something like this just doesn't seem like it's the right thing to occur, at least to me that is.

Pat
Old 09-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rnixon
See Texas Penal Code 9.42 The way things are going with our criminal justice system , it may be necessary to implement something similar Nation Wide. It is my belief that the proper response to a criminal act, weather it be a personal assault or an act of War , should never be proportional, It should be merciless and devastating
Of course that's only the opinion of a Deplorable , or as Biden as recently labeled me " one of the Dregs of society ", but I have indeed used the threat of a weapon, to foil an attempt to steal my corvette
This. ******' thieves.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Yea, she was right.

It's pretty hard to argue that, but it's still not right. Just because the insurance company paid me, the thief (alleged), is now free and clear, and ready to profit on his stolen item.

I've been wrong before, but something like this just doesn't seem like it's the right thing to occur, at least to me that is.

Pat
No, it’s not right, a crime is a crime and the criminals should be made to pay. Did you report this to your insurance company so they can prosecute?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I read a great idea to recover your car if it is stolen. Hide an old cell phone in your car. Then you can use the "find my phone app" to track it down.
Also, I used to have an automatic fuel shut off valve in a 69 back in the day. The driver had to preform a specific sequence when starting the car or it would run out of fuel in a very short time.
In my case I had to put the car in reverse and push a hidden button to open the valve.
Maybe both the shut off and the cell phone is the best idea.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

Get a good chain and good locks and chain it to a lamp pole or guard rail!

The thief will either find an easier car to steal or he will have a big surprise when he drives off with it on the back of his tow truck.

When I went to Hershey, I chained the wheels of my trailer to the suspension with a big lock that was plainly visible.
It was there when I got back!
(there were plenty of other trailers without locks that were easier to steal)

The point is, make it A LOT EASIER FOR A THIEF TO STEAL ANOTHER CAR!

Last edited by Roger Walling; 09-20-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver

No, it’s not right, a crime is a crime and the criminals should be made to pay. Did you report this to your insurance company so they can prosecute?
Yes I did, but they didn't seem too interested either.

Pat
Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

"It's time the long arm of the law
put a few more in the ground
send them all to their maker
And he'll settle them down"
- Willie and Toby

Sadly in this day and age people do things far worse than steal Corvettes, and still get few if any consequences.
ptjsk (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
No revenue, no enforcement.
Maybe if they didn't spend our money on a 70.3 Million dollar high school football stadium, or a new 20 million dollar police substation , (cause the didn't like the old one) they could afford to do their job. Maybe they should raise out taxes some more to cover their new office chairs.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:56 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Back to the stolen corvettes...

https://www.autoanything.com/towing/...iABEgKlvPD_BwE
Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Someone mentioned leaving the doors unlocked to save the soft top. I understand your thinking but that might invalidate your insurance coverage, and also might (laws vary and I'm neither an LEO nor an attorney) make it a lesser crime than if they actually had to force their way in.

By the way - if you have not seen it, find some you-tube clips of those repo trucks that have the hydraulic forks. Forget hooking up the tow truck - these guys can drive up near your car, snake those things under the car, pull it out and drive away with it, in not much longer than it takes to read these words.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Using deadly force in defense of life is acceptable; using deadly force in defense of property is almost always not acceptable.

Using a firearm to disable a vehicle attempting to steal another vehicle (i.e. shooting out the tires or radiator of a wrecker or flatbed attempting to steal a car) might sound OK, but it also might get you charged with illegal discharge of a firearm, endangering public safety, etc.

Smart move #1 - Leave the gun at home.

I have a criminal attorney friend that deals with some real low lifes. He tells me that he has seen more deadly firearm incidents occur simply because one or more fools brought a gun with them. What would have been a misdeameanor assault turns into a felony murder charge.

OK, horse beaten enough....

Know that if a thief wants your car bad enough, they will get it, your goal is to make it so difficult that they move onto an easier vehicle.

The name of this game is defense in depth, or multiple levels of security protection.

The absolute best thing you can do is keep the car from being moved, period. Chaining it to a tree or pole with a seriously heavy duty logging chain and equally serious lock is a good step. Multiple chains, multiple locks, multiple trees or poles is even better.

Also, if your wheels have openings in them, another serious chain run between the front and rear wheels, again with a serious lock, is a good step.

Wheel boots or removing a wheel are a minor complication to a thief. A wrecker or flat bed that can lift one end of the vehicle gets pasts this.

Kill switches, fuel limit devices, battery disconnect, steering wheel club, brake / clutch pedal club will stop a joy rider, but won't deter a serious thief.

I did see one interesting anti theft "device" a few years ago.

One guy drove his Corvette to the show, and parked it in the hotel parking lot. He parked in a well lit spot but in the very last sport in the corner of the parking lot.
His friend, who trailered his car to the show with an enclosed trailer and a dually truck the parked the trailer in the spot next to the Corvette, and also swung his truck so it was parked in front of the Vette.
The trailer / truck combination had the Corvette completely blocked in the parking lot. The corvette was also chained to the trailer axle with a massive logging chain. A good solution, but it required some team work, and the approval of the hotel for the unusual parking arrangement.

One other thing...I stayed at a hotel named SYNC in Bowling Green. They had nice rooms for rent, and they also had 5 one car garages attached to the hotel for rent. The garage doors were glass / see through, but they were lockable, and I think they also had alarms on them. That might be an interesting trend.

OK, enough for now.

Your absolute best protection is good insurance.

Last edited by emccomas; 09-22-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Lola T70 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:20 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
Using deadly force in defense of life is acceptable; using deadly force in defense of property is almost always not acceptable.

Using a firearm to disable a vehicle attempting to steal another vehicle (i.e. shooting out the tires or radiator of a wrecker or flatbed attempting to steal a car) might sound OK, but it also might get you charged with illegal discharge of a firearm, endangering public safety, etc.

Smart move #1 - Leave the gun at home.

I have a criminal attorney friend that deals with some real low lifes. He tells me that he has seen more deadly firearm incidents occur simple because one or more fools brought a gun with them. What would have been a misdeameanor assault turns into a felony murder charge.

OK, horse beaten enough....

Know that if a thief wants your car bad enough, they will get it, your goal is to make it so difficult that they move onto an easier vehicle.

The name of this game is defense in depth, or multiple levels of security protection.

The absolute best thing you can do is keep the car from being moved, period. Chaining it to a tree or pole with a seriously heavy duty logging chain and equally serious lock is a good step. Multiple chains, multiple locks, multiple trees or poles is even better.

Also, if your wheels have openings in them, another serious chain run between the front and rear wheels, again with a serious lock, is a good step.

Wheel boots more removing a wheel are a minor complication to a thief. A wrecker or flat bed that can lift one end of the vehicle gets pasts this.

Kill switches, fuel limit devices, battery disconnect, steering wheel club, brake / clutch pedal club will stop a joy rider, but won't deter a serious thief.

I did see one interesting anti theft "device" a few years ago.

One guy drove his Corvette to the show, and parked it in the hotel parking lot. He parked in a well lit spot but in the very last sport in the corner of the parking lot.
His friend, who trailered his car to the show with an enclosed trailer and a dually truck the parked the trailer in the spot next to the Corvette, and also swung his truck so it was parked in front of the Vette.
The trailer / truck combination had the Corvette completely blocked in the parking lot. The corvette was also chained to the trailer axle with a massive logging chain. A good solution, biut it required some team work, and the approval of the hotel for the unusual parking arrangement.

One other thing...I stayed at a hotel named SYNC in Bowling Green. They had nice rooms for rent, and they also had 5 one car garages attached to the hotel for rent. The garage doors were glass / see through, but they were lockable, and I think they also had alarms on them. That might be an interesting trend.

OK, enough for now.

Your absolute best protection is good insurance.
Yeah but how do you fit all that crap in the Corvette ? Too me if something is too much of a hassle, or it might result in a problem then I forget it and do something else. Not worth the worry
Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

How many of you folks chained your corvette up in 1965? Darn near none of you.

How many chained up c7’s do you see ar Carlisle? Darn near none of them.

You guys who are worried so much- enjoy whatever it is you’re trying to enjoy. I love this thread.
mike coletta (09-22-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Like others here, I remove the steering wheel of my '67 if I'm on the road. Just pop off the horn button by hand, remove six Phillips head screws and you're done. Easy to do on any 63-67.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:51 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I won't go to all the trouble of chains, etc. but I feel I should do something to protect my car when I have to leave it in a parking lot so I have a Hella red key battery disconnect inside my locked glove box and a wireless motion detector. Both take only a few seconds to deploy. If a thief gets past those, it becomes Adam Boca's problem.

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by RatDog:
Lola T70 (09-21-2018), USMC 0802 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

True story: a good friend flew out to Colorado on business and while there, he was smitten with a 67 vette that he saw in a dealer's lot. After his meetings he went and bought the vette, then proceeded to drive it home to NY. Along the way, he needed to get some sleep. So he booked a ground floor motel room. Being concerned about possible theft of his new to him 67 vette, he needed a way to secure the car. He ended up tying one end of the string to the car, and the other end to his big toe!

This was back in the 80's, but we still have a huge laugh about it every time we get together.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:57 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Chapter2
True story: a good friend flew out to Colorado on business and while there, he was smitten with a 67 vette that he saw in a dealer's lot. After his meetings he went and bought the vette, then proceeded to drive it home to NY. Along the way, he needed to get some sleep. So he booked a ground floor motel room. Being concerned about possible theft of his new to him 67 vette, he needed a way to secure the car. He ended up tying one end of the string to the car, and the other end to his big toe!

This was back in the 80's, but we still have a huge laugh about it every time we get together.
Does he only have 9 toes now?

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Overnight parking at events

Old 09-20-2018, 02:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I left my '61 overnight inside the humongous Orlando Convention Center overnight, because they had "security".

I was a bit paranoid so I got to the Sunday portion of the show super early.....the beefy female rent-a-cop that was guarding the cars looked less trustworthy than the spectators at the show...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-20-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog

Does he only have 9 toes now?

Steve
Haha.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

these guys can drive up near your car, snake those things under the car, pull it out and drive away with it, in not much longer than it takes to read these words
x2. Pros stealing cars like this will make sure its quick. Insure it and sentiments aside realize its a car...a material object. Insure it!
Surprised at the few I know who have nice stuff but are too cheap to pay for full coverage...no sympathy there.

Theres always another .

Quick Reply: Overnight parking at events