C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Opinions on electric power steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Opinions on electric power steering

I have been looking at electric PS on the web for the last few days possibly for my 57 and see where there is a unit that some have gotten from a Saturn that they say will work on a C1.

I am keeping my stock frame and no aftermarket front suspension sub assemblies for me.

I am not concerned with the short comings that some say they have. My fun in the 57 is not about how fast I can take a corner. I am more into the straight line acceleration.

Has anyone here done one of these conversions with the Saturn components? If so, what did you pay for them and what do I need to look out for? I know there are kits assembled for this and everyone is getting $1450. for them and they appear to be the same as the Saturn system.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:37 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Would you place the Saturn EPS under the dash or...........
Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 AM
hlvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I have been looking at electric PS on the web for the last few days possibly for my 57 and see where there is a unit that some have gotten from a Saturn that they say will work on a C1.

I am keeping my stock frame and no aftermarket front suspension sub assemblies for me.

I am not concerned with the short comings that some say they have. My fun in the 57 is not about how fast I can take a corner. I am more into the straight line acceleration.

Has anyone here done one of these conversions with the Saturn components? If so, what did you pay for them and what do I need to look out for? I know there are kits assembled for this and everyone is getting $1450. for them and they appear to be the same as the Saturn system.
I have done this on a 59. Here is the link to a few pictures https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-a-c-1-a.html
The parts cost under $ 200. I fit it up before I put the body on, then disconnected it to install the body.
You will need some fabrication skills & equipment, but it is not real difficult. The most expensive part was the controller
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-...kAAOSwfZtbHGtc
I bought the EPS unit from a junk yard for $ 40 I think. There are other doner cars you can get it from that you don't need the controller, but I like is because you can adjust the amount of assistance you get.
PM me & I will see if I can get you some additional information
Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

hi Vette,
PM sent

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on electric power steering

Quick Reply: [C1] Opinions on electric power steering