C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Give me your opinion on this SWC

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by eric lipper
I keep waiting for one of these bargain basement 63's that everyone talks about to show up but, as usual, that seems to be elusive or they really need a paint job. A real paint job starts at $20K

Just my .02
First, there HAVE been a couple of deals crop up but few and far between - one person whom I advised bought two C2s a few months back - one a very nice fuel-injected split window and the other a later C2, both for the money that is being talked about here for just a split window. The buyer had an inside track with a long-time friend who just wanted the cars gone. I bought my red/red, all numbers matching base SWC for well under 1/2 of the prices being bandied about here 4-1/2 years ago. My search took two years - and that was BEFORE the current SWC insanity.

Second, the $20K 'real' paint job. You can get a stellar paint job for well less than that if you get a car that doesn't have hidden secrets. Some here will tell you in the $2,500 range - which always makes me laugh....

Third, waiting on a car to be assembled so you can buy it is risky. The price could go up 20% in that time or the builder decide its so nice he'll keep it. It could get sold out from under you to a pal Also (not knowing the member) it could be a sub-optimal build. If the builder gets in a rush to make a profit knowing you are looking at a bunch of other cars on here - shortcuts may be taken.

Fourth - the Muncie transmissions were introduced in May of 63 - my car has one of the first put in a Corvette.... I wouldn't let the later transmission in an early car be a deal-breaker. Likewise a nice C2-looking (with the lockout) Hurst shifter is a nice upgrade - its what I run...

Just some editorial comments....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-20-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:58 AM
eric lipper
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
First, there HAVE been a couple of deals crop up but few and far between - one person whom I advised bought two C2s a few months back - one a very nice fuel-injected split window and the other a later C2, both for the money that is being talked about here for just a split window. The buyer had an inside track with a long-time friend who just wanted the cars gone. I bought my red/red, all numbers matching base SWC for well under 1/2 of the prices being bandied about here 4-1/2 years ago. My search took two years - and that was BEFORE the current SWC insanity.

Second, the $20K 'real' paint job. You can get a stellar paint job for well less than that if you get a car that doesn't have hidden secrets. Some here will tell you in the $2,500 range - which always makes me laugh....

Third, waiting on a car to be assembled so you can buy it is risky. The price could go up 20% in that time or the builder decide its so nice he'll keep it. It could get sold out from under you to a pal Also (not knowing the member) it could be a sub-optimal build. If the builder gets in a rush to make a profit knowing you are looking at a bunch of other cars on here - shortcuts may be taken.

Fourth - the Muncie transmissions were introduced in May of 63 - my car has one of the first put in a Corvette.... I wouldn't let the later transmission in an early car be a deal-breaker. Likewise a nice C2-looking (with the lockout) Hurst shifter is a nice upgrade - its what I run...

Just some editorial comments....
FTF, thanks. I am boiling all of this information in my personal soup before I pull the switch on any car. The Borg Warner T10 that is missing and replaced with a Muncie is probably not a big deal but it still gives the car a little wart. If one of these cars gets away I will sleep fine because I have figured out that there are plenty for sale and lots of tire kicker but not a lot of buyers (at the moment). Of all of the cars that I have looked at over the last 90 days not much has sold.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:59 AM
eric lipper
Instructor

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer 2.0
I believe you are correct. That's a Muncie, and I am at 100% Sure. The BW T10 rear bearing housing is more offset at the bottom.
Borg Warner also has a large drain plug.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by eric lipper
Borg Warner also has a large drain plug.
The BW also has the cars vin number stamped on the side. Don't know about the Muncie, but would not match your car anyway.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

To me, those tags look good. The earlier production cars didn't often have multiple spot welds on the tags, and they also didn't have "grind marks" as prevalent in the spot weld areas. The offset "3" in the VIN looks consistent with an original tag.

The CCAS charge on validation for tags and blocks for the small block cars is very fair, perhaps the dealer should dig a little deeper and get the certs for the car as a condition of sale. He should also put in a proper reproduction radiator in place of that cheap aftermarket copper/brass mess.

Last edited by SupremeDeluxe; 09-20-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Eric, I probably missed this somewhere, but if Riverside Red is your preferred color, that same dealer has it. Is that one a turd?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM
eric lipper
Instructor

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer 2.0
Eric, I probably missed this somewhere, but if Riverside Red is your preferred color, that same dealer has it. Is that one a turd?
Its not exactly a turd -- the ad is wrong. It says it was originally riverside red but it isn't. The car was Sebring Silver.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
The offset "3" in the VIN looks consistent with an original tag.
I just learned something.

Thank You
Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

I don't see an offset. Could be my computer screen.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't see the offset either.....

A word on Riverside Red (called Roman Red in '62 but its the same color).....

I have seen so-called Riverside Red cars that ranged from a fairly 'hot' red to an orange red ....when I bought my car the Riverside Red was off a bit; the painter said it had too much black in it and had an orange cast to it. We painstakingly found a red that matched an original lacquer 62 in the painter's shop as well as original paint under my door sills to get the correct color. The true color is almost a "tomato" red.

So, just be aware in your search that things ain't always what they seem in online pictures....like Daytona Blue and the Supreme Court's definition of obscenity....it can't exactly be described but you'll know it when you see it..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

A word on Riverside Red (called Roman Red in '62 but its the same color).....

I have seen so-called Riverside Red cars that ranged from a fairly 'hot' red to an orange red ....when I bought my car the Riverside Red was off a bit; the painter said it had too much black in it and had an orange cast to it. We painstakingly found a red that matched an original lacquer 62 in the painter's shop as well as original paint under my door sills to get the correct color. The true color is almost a "tomato" red.

So, just be aware in your search that things ain't always what they seem in online pictures....like Daytona Blue and the Supreme Court's definition of obscenity....it can't exactly be described but you'll know it when you see it..
Pretty but it does not look red enough to me. I know it's your car and it looks right to you and that's all that matters. Now the red in the avatar picture looks correct.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Pretty but it does not look red enough to me. I know it's your car and it looks right to you and that's all that matters. Now the red in the avatar picture looks correct.
Its all the same paint and the same car just different lighting.

Exactly why judging from pics is tough.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I don't see an offset.
Guys,
Take a good digital photo of your VIN Tag.
Put a straight edge along the bottom of your numbers.
The first leading "3" will be slightly lower than the rest of the sequence.
(at least mine is that way)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:09 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
Guys,
That is correct. I have noticed that detail is not usually captured in repro VIN tags.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:32 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
That is correct. I have noticed that detail is not usually captured in repro VIN tags.
Really, look at the picture in post 37. Looks like the second 3 is lower, the 7 and 0 is taller, and so on. These numbers were put in a gang stamp. I doubt if any were held tight enough to have an even level to each other.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
Guys,
No way!
I may find out mine's fake...

Seriously, I DO see the offset after another hard look but holy crap that's a fine thread to hang originality off of...

Old 09-20-2018, 09:39 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1598020468]No way!
I may find out mine's fake...

Seriously, I DO see the offset after another hard look but holy crap that's a fine thread to hang originality off of...[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth brother.
They were stamped with a combination of equipment loaded, held and wacked by humans and we know people never make mistakes or that there is ever an equipment failure or that things change with wear.

Get notified of new replies

To Give me your opinion on this SWC

Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 AM
Dad's 59
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Swc

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Both. But the price is only perhaps 10-15k too high.....not that big of an amount when you are approaching 150k....Ten years ago, this car would have been half the price. Love it how people on this forum always say cars are a loss and not an investment! Glad my life experiences have been the opposite.
I agree!!!!!!! I too was the opposite🎓👀☝🙇👙💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸 💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸🐆
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I thought everyone lusted over a '67 435 car. What happened????????????

It is a comfort to me knowing my cars don't have to compete with all these minor details being discussed here that don't mean squat when I'm shining them up or just driving down the road, enjoying. them.

But, I don't own a Lear Jet. Couldn't fly one if I did and I don't have a fat balance sheet to show off to prove I'm not just a tire kicker.

Too much drama for me.

PS. The OEM Riverside Red had a LOT of orange in it.

Last edited by MikeM; 09-21-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
I thought everyone lusted over a '67 435 car. What happened????????????

It is a comfort to me knowing my cars don't have to compete with all these minor details being discussed here that don't mean squat when I'm shining them up or just driving down the road, enjoying. them.

But, I don't own a Lear Jet. Couldn't fly one if I did and I don't have a fat balance sheet to show off to prove I'm not just a tire kicker.

Too much drama for me.

PS. The OEM Riverside Red had a LOT of orange in it.
That is true -- hence the comparison to a tomato color - but too much and it gets to be real apparent...

I'd still love to have a BB '67 convertible with side pipes, ironically I opted for the cheaper (at the time), but equally distinctive, split window.
What a difference a few years make...

Quick Reply: Give me your opinion on this SWC