C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] remove camshaft on SBC

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default remove camshaft on SBC

any suggestion for an easy in-car camshaft removal procedure?
What I have in mind: beyond the obvious (water pump, timing cover etc) removing radiator (don't have the X-brace) should give enough clearance to pull out the cam. Correct?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Yes, you can remove the cam pretty much removing the components you mentioned. SBs may require removing the oil pan, too. I was able to pull my cam even though I have an X brace and a bog block. It was necessary to unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor slightly to clear the X brace but it worked. You probably won't need to do that.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Remove the fuel pump push rod. Drop the pan. You can get the timing cover out without dropping it but chances are, you'll have a leak if you try to jam it back in there without using new gaskets.

Did I mention the distributor? Remove the lifters?

Last edited by MikeM; 09-21-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:25 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
Remove the fuel pump push rod. Drop the pan. You can get the timing cover out without dropping it but chances are, you'll have a leak if you try to jam it back in there without using new gaskets.

Did I mention the distributor? Remove the lifters?
tnx, did not have fuel pump removal on my list yet
Old 09-22-2018, 04:22 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Unbolt the idler arm from the frame and pull the steering down to get the pan out. While you are there you can remove the rear crank bearing cap and oil pump to replace the rear main seal.
Mark
Old 09-22-2018, 05:30 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Get some 6" long bolts (two) to screw in the timing gear bolt holes so you ahve something to hang onto the cam with when it is first coming out, and also going back in. I think those are 5/16" bolts. but not sure if they are fine (24) or coarse thread (18 pitch).

Doug
Old 09-23-2018, 01:59 AM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Get some 6" long bolts (two) to screw in the timing gear bolt holes so you ahve something to hang onto the cam with when it is first coming out, and also going back in. I think those are 5/16" bolts. but not sure if they are fine (24) or coarse thread (18 pitch).

Doug
The cam bolts will be 5/16 x 18
Old 09-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,545 Likes on 2,794 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I don’t understand the “drop the pan comments”? There is no need and a bunch of additional work unless the intention is to replace the pan gasket due to a leak. Simply loosen the pan bolts more in the front to less in the back enough to remove the timing cover. When you reinstall the timing cover, replace the seal on the bottom and add a dab of rtv to both corners where it meets the two main pan gaskets.

Another important tip is to loosely install the timing cover gaskets, reinstall the balancer and then torque the timing cover and pan bolts to spec. This allows the balancer to center the timing cover and seal helping prevent future leaks.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:55 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Factoid
I don’t understand the “drop the pan comments”?

If you've done it and it works for you, go for it. It didn't work for me twice I don't recommend anyone else try it. Burned once, shame on you. Burned twice, shame on me.

The OP might get away with it, might not. He has always struck me as the type to avoid doing things twice.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Factoid
I don’t understand the “drop the pan comments”? There is no need and a bunch of additional work unless the intention is to replace the pan gasket due to a leak. Simply loosen the pan bolts more in the front to less in the back enough to remove the timing cover. When you reinstall the timing cover, replace the seal on the bottom and add a dab of rtv to both corners where it meets the two main pan gaskets.

Another important tip is to loosely install the timing cover gaskets, reinstall the balancer and then torque the timing cover and pan bolts to spec. This allows the balancer to center the timing cover and seal helping prevent future leaks.
If you've done it and it works for you, go for it. It didn't work for me twice I don't recommend anyone else try it. Burned once, shame on you. Burned twice, shame on me.

The OP might get away with it, might not. He has always struck me as the type to avoid doing things twice.

​​​​​​​If you've done it and it works for you, go for it. It didn't work for me twice I don't recommend anyone else try it. Burned once, shame on you. Burned twice, shame on me.

​​​​​​​It won't do much good to try and center the timing cover with the balancer before you tighten it. There's two dowel pins that determine cover location. Not the balancer. Good thought though.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM

good read of my working habits Mike, I 'd rather get prepared as good as it gets (thnx forum!), then do it once without shortcuts.
I replace the seals/gaskets of anything that got unscrewed.

Get notified of new replies

To remove camshaft on SBC

Quick Reply: [C2] remove camshaft on SBC