C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 01:40 PM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Default electrical issue

last year i had my alternator rebuilt , told the guy to boost up the amps in case i ever wanted to add a/c , he did. this year i looked down and my ammeter was pegged to 40 + , replaced external (solid state regulator ) with old points style , all good pushing out 12 volts .the other day cruisin down the road i get a quick miss ,a while later multiple quick misses, get to the cruise in and stay for a couple hours leave and no issues . Yesterday take the wife out to dinner we go to leave and dead as a doornail ! open the hood move the firewall connectors around and i tighten the battery shut off wheel bingo starts right up ! I get home and wiggle the battery shutoff and get a quick miss do it a couple more times same thing , so i figured the battery disconnect is junk . I disconnect it today and run the cable directly to the battery and no problems starts right up , put my meter on the batt and only getting 11.4 volts , go to alt and same thing 11.4 , did my alternator fail do i need a new one ? if i replace it should i go to just a 2 wire internally regulated ? whats the wiring procedure if i do ? Thanks in advance !
Old 09-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You may have other issues but first thing is to get a knife blade disconnect -- those round **** things are crap....

You can test that round **** do-hickey by throwing it way out in a lake -- if it floats its good; if it sinks its bad...

You'll hear differently from folks but I've had 3 fail in different ways - one came apart, one corroded to pieces and another got to the point I didn't have enough hind end to tighten it sufficiently for a good connection....

And before anybody asks these weren't the cheap ones either...

BTW - your alternator should be "pushing out" 13.8V-14.2V; not 12V with the engine running....
You can measure that across the battery terminals with a multimeter and the engine running...

Make sure your V/R is grounded...

You can swap in a Wells VR-715 solid state alternator (available anywhere for about $28); its plug and play and if it fixes your problem you'll know it was the V/R....if not, it makes a cheap spare for an emergency...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-22-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:12 PM
number3
Pro

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You may have other issues but first thing is to get a knife blade disconnect -- those round **** things are crap....

You can test that round **** do-hickey by throwing it way out in a lake -- if it floats its good; if it sinks its bad...

You'll hear differently from folks but I've had 3 fail in different ways - one came apart, one corroded to pieces and another got to the point I didn't have enough hind end to tighten it sufficiently for a good connection....

BTW - your alternator should be "pushing out" 13.8V-14.2V; not 12V with the engine running....
You can measure that across the battery terminals with a multimeter and the engine running...

You can swap in a Wells VR-715 solid state alternator (available anywhere for about $28); its plug and play and if it fixes your problem you'll know it was the V/R....if not, it makes a cheap spare for an emergency...
ive got 2 of those spares frankie ! the cover seperated from one because of the heat and the other one got water in it , the cheap plastic covers warped from the heat . Everything was fine till now and yup mine was bad it sank ! Im only getting 11.4 at the batt and the same at the alt , and yes the regulator is grounded would the loose connection to the ground terminal on the batt have fried my alt ?? thanks
Old 09-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Mechancal V/Rs are actually pretty robust and don't have sensitive circuitry - they are basically points and armatures. Its possible to crack it open and look for burned or stuck points or fried wiring... I put a VR-715 under the stock cap and have been running it for 3-1/2 years..

You can have the alternator "load tested" at a bunch of places BTW...for free...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-22-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:39 PM
number3
Pro

Mechancal V/Rs are actually pretty robust and don't have sensitive circuitry - they are basically points and armatures. Its possible to crack it open and look for burned or stuck points or fried wiring... I put a VR-715 under the stock cap and have been running it for 3-1/2 years..

You can have the alternator "load tested" at a bunch of places BTW...for free...
thats why i went back to it . but when i go straight to the alt im only getting 11.4 , before it was putting out what it should but not now , whats the best way to check if alt is good or bad ?
Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Make SURE that gang connector on your V/R is on TIGHT - I pushed my 66 Mustang 200 yards home because that connector got knocked sideways...

It never hurts to take the leads off the horn relay and clean things up - that's a major distribution point for current to a lot of places.

You could have lost a diode in the alternator...
They will test your components in the car or removed if you carry it to them...

https://www.autozone.com/landing/pag...=in-our-stores

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-22-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:06 PM
number3
Pro

Make SURE that gang connector on your V/R is on TIGHT - I pushed my 66 Mustang 200 yards home because that connector got knocked sideways...

It never hurts to take the leads off the horn relay and clean things up - that's a major distribution point for current to a lot of places.

You could have lost a diode in the alternator...
They will test your components in the car or removed if you carry it to them...

https://www.autozone.com/landing/pag...=in-our-stores
good info frankie thanks for the help !
Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I've had several of the round **** type over the years on different Corvettes and they were all junk . I now have the knife type and they work great .

The following users liked this post:
number3 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:07 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

When you upgrade the amp output of the alternator they put more windings in the same size case with the same fan. So, it is easier to have internal overheating issues. That will cause internal failures.
I would look at getting a different alternator. JMO

Last edited by woodsdesign; 09-23-2018 at 06:54 AM.
number3 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:46 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

No need to remove the alternator to have it tested, you can do it yourself.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:41 AM
number3
Pro

Originally Posted by buns
No need to remove the alternator to have it tested, you can do it yourself.

Perfect ! thanks buns just what i was lookin for !
Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Sorry to hear of your alternator woes.

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year after my alternator was “upgraded” by a local shop to both a one wire set up and 95 Amps. It lasted exactly 4 months, likely due to heat as Woodsdesign stated. One night out with the missus I made it home on just the battery, which was impressive because my spal fan pulls 22A...

Had the alternator tested and it was kaput. I picked up another one and it tested at 70A and it’s been running great ever since. I think it was $65 at O’Reilly’s.

Good luck.
number3 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by number3
Perfect ! thanks buns just what i was lookin for !
Just note the caution when doing this and it’s not a test of max load.

The alternator and V/R tests are In the shop manual. I was trying to make it easy on you by taking the car to an Autozone. Let us know what you find.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:32 AM
number3
Pro

Just note the caution when doing this and it’s not a test of max load.

The alternator and V/R tests are In the shop manual. I was trying to make it easy on you by taking the car to an Autozone. Let us know what you find.
thanks frankie , i just might try using one of my spare vr 715's and see if that straightens things out . i am planning on adding a/c and cooling fan this winter . what amperage alt (if i need one ) would you suggest ?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Are you talking about aftermarket A/C and electric cooling fan(s) - the fans are big current draws ?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:40 AM
number3
Pro

Are you talking about aftermarket A/C and electric cooling fan(s) - the fans are big current draws ?
yes i ordered a kit from vintage air with the single cooling fan
Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by number3
yes i ordered a kit from vintage air with the single cooling fan
I would say not less than 70 amp maybe closer to 90, but call the Vintage Air tech line to confirm - those guys are very good about answering such things...a SPAL electric fan sucks down some juice..

Get notified of new replies

To electrical issue

Old 09-23-2018, 09:19 AM
number3
Pro

I would say not less than 70 amp maybe closer to 90, but call the Vintage Air tech line to confirm - those guys are very good about answering such things...a SPAL electric fan sucks down some juice..
I read somewhere that it needs a 20 amp fuse , so i'll call vintage tomorrow and see what they say. I also need to relocate the alt to drivers side , is there an extension harness out there to relocate it ? thanks again for your help frankie
Old 09-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Lectric Limited sells the relocation harness for a STtOCK alternator. I used it on the 63 and it keeps the voltage regulator and horn relay in stock locations. Not at home but I believe the part number is VAK-6365. I’ll confirm later.
number3 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:14 AM
number3
Pro

Lectric Limited sells the relocation harness for a STtOCK alternator. I used it on the 63 and it keeps the voltage regulator and horn relay in stock locations. Not at home but I believe the part number is VAK-6365. I’ll confirm later.
I just checked that number and thats exactly what i need ! many thanks frankie !!

Quick Reply: electrical issue