C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Instrument lights out... fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 04:12 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Default Instrument lights out... fixed

I got into my 67 yesterday morning to go to cars and coffee and noticed my instrument lights were out. Did a search on debugging this and easily found my tail lights were out. Checked the fuse (2nd up) and it was blown. i replaced it with a 20A fuse and everything works.

The blown fuse was a 30A fuse which of course isn’t correct for the 20A slot. Can’t imagine what would cause a 30A fuse to blow.

Is there anything i should check or just drive it drive it and see what happens?

Ed
Old 09-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

if you have factory AC you should have 30 amp fuse
Old 09-23-2018, 04:26 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

I do have factory AC but the fuse block says 20A. Why would it change for taillights?

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 09-23-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
I got into my 67 yesterday morning to go to cars and coffee and noticed my instrument lights were out. Did a search on debugging this and easily found my tail lights were out. Checked the fuse (2nd up) and it was blown. i replaced it with a 20A fuse and everything works.

The blown fuse was a 30A fuse which of course isn’t correct for the 20A slot. Can’t imagine what would cause a 30A fuse to blow.

Is there anything i should check or just drive it drive it and see what happens?

Ed

Probably just drive it and see. You might have a wire with a cut that found a way to get to ground. If it blows again, investigation is needed. Without a schematic handy (away from home) I can't tell you what to check, but the Chevrolet Service Manual has one you could look at.

Until then, keep a couple of spare fuses handy in the car.

Larry
Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Thanks Larry. I’ll drive it and see what happens. Not worried at all. Not sure how long it’s been like this because I haven’t driven it in the dark in quite a while.

Ed
Old 09-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emdoller
I do have factory AC but the fuse block says 20A. Why would it change for taillights?

Ed
read your owners manual or AIM. its in there. the tail light fuse controls your dash lights. GM thought it was a good idea with the extra lights for the AC add on harness to up the amp on the fuse
Old 09-23-2018, 05:37 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
read your owners manual or AIM. its in there. the tail light fuse controls your dash lights. GM thought it was a good idea with the extra lights for the AC add on harness to up the amp on the fuse

This is all I could find. Pretty confusing.
If anything, it looks like the second from the top should be 30A as it says heater on left and AC on right.

Last edited by emdoller; 09-23-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Ed:

Finally got back home and had a chance to check my 67 car. The Chevrolet Service Manual for 1967 shows a 25 amp fuse for this slot. Checking my car fuse block it also shows 25 amp fuse lettered in white. A 25 amp fuse is what is installed as well.

The under dash fuse block has the fuse size shown in white letters as well as what the circuit is used for. Over time some of this white lettering fades or comes off.........but it was there originally.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Old 10-12-2018, 07:42 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
if you have factory AC you should have 30 amp fuse
That would be for the fan blower motor. Non-AC cars use a 10 amp fuse.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Powershift
Ed:

Finally got back home and had a chance to check my 67 car. The Chevrolet Service Manual for 1967 shows a 25 amp fuse for this slot. Checking my car fuse block it also shows 25 amp fuse lettered in white. A 25 amp fuse is what is installed as well.

The under dash fuse block has the fuse size shown in white letters as well as what the circuit is used for. Over time some of this white lettering fades or comes off.........but it was there originally.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Thank you Larry! The user manual is a bit confusing.

Ed
Old 10-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Apparently I provided a correct answer to the wrong question. I should have read (reread) the entire thread. Ed was initially talking about the taillight fuse for this car. Somehow I thought he was asking about the blower fuse for AC and non-AC cars. I was in Illinois in September visiting family when I first read the question. Somehow over the next month I transposed the question to be something else.

My answer was correct for the fuse-block fuse for a factory AC car. In addition, a 30 amp in-line fuse is also installed on a separate red wire for the blower HI speed relay.

For taillights: AC or non-AC doesn't matter. 20 amp fuse in the fuse-block is the correct one for all. If something else was installed it was probably all that was available at the time. A quick check for "brighter taillight and stoplight bulbs" shows that some folks have installed #2357 bulbs in place of the original factory #1157 bulbs over the years to provide for brighter lights. These bulbs will use more current, so perhaps that may also explain the higher amp fuse that was installed.

I think this answers OP's original question + a bit of lagniappe Advancing age may also play a part.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 10-13-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument lights out... fixed

Quick Reply: Instrument lights out... fixed