C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS3 Cylinder Head clearance to dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Jeff 57
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS3 Cylinder Head clearance to dash

​​​​​​Looking for “suggested” clearance between LS3 cylinder head and dash. Would any of you who have completed this swap in either a C1 or C2, please provide input on the clearance you have and comment on whither you still feel that the distance was adequate?
Thanks in advance
Jeff
Old 09-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Jeff. Here's a couple pics of the 62 I built. I notched the pass side where head was close to firewall. And recessed the center.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucebodyman
Jeff. Here's a couple pics of the 62 I built. I notched the pass side where head was close to firewall. And recessed the center.

Bruce,

Did you use after market LS motor mount relocation plates to relocate LS engine forward to match that of stock engine location? This would only apply to C1/C2s mounted on a stock frame or aftermarket frame not built for for an LS engine installation.

Holly/Hooker Headers as well as others sale them.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 09-24-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Both of my 63's have 1.5" right side 2.25" left side 9,000 miles no problems.
Mark

Last edited by mark6669; 09-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:57 AM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff 57
​​​​​​Looking for “suggested” clearance between LS3 cylinder head and dash. Would any of you who have completed this swap in either a C1 or C2, please provide input on the clearance you have and comment on whither you still feel that the distance was adequate?
Thanks in advance
Jeff
Jeff,

I installed an LS3 in a '63 convertible in a stock frame using Dirty Dingo mounts. For me, the position of the engine was dictated by the location of the TKO500 transmission/shifter to utilize the original shifter location. All this places the rear of the heads closer to the firewall than I would have liked but it has not seemed to be a problem. It is hard to measure, but the passenger side is about 1" clear and the driver side is about 2" clear. But the rearward location does provide more clearance on the front of the engine!

Jon
Old 09-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Bruce,

Did you use after market LS motor mount relocation plates to relocate LS engine forward to match that of stock engine location? This would only apply to C1/C2s mounted on a stock frame or aftermarket frame not built for for an LS engine installation.

Holly/Hooker Headers as well as others sale them.
that car had a chassis concepts frame under it. It was built for LS engine. Had I used an adjustable mount I wouldn't have had to notch the pass side of firewall. It was the first one I built. Live and learn.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:09 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine is close, probably an inch or so. As others have said, placing the engine in the "stock location" makes it tight to the rear, this is where a muncie/tko bolted to it via a 621 clone bell housing will end up in the same location as with SBC. I haven't had any issues, it's a bit of a pain neatly routing or hiding the harness around the rear of the engine due to lack of space, but very doable. Having the engine back as far as possible makes a *lot* of room at the front and also helps the car turn !
Old 09-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Jeff 57
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’d like to thank everybody for their reply.
My takeaway; If I maintain at least 1 inch between the cylinder head and the fiberglass I shouldn’t have an issue with heat off the heads.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Cylinder Head clearance to dash

Quick Reply: LS3 Cylinder Head clearance to dash