C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Warning graphic images

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray noob
So I had been meaning to update an older thread that I had started 2 months ago but had not had the car looked at by a c2 mechanic to find out all the ins and outs of the car. Short story is that my wife inherited a 65 stingray from her father. I Brought it to a general mechanic to drain gas tank, check fluids, breaks etc and everything looked great. Between work and it raining every day in NJ my wife and I only took it out a few times. Yesterday I took my stepfather for a ride but the car never made it back safely with my stepfather headed to the ER (he's ok, just a bad headache. Some impatient kid decided to turn left at a light and we collided head on. Waiting for the insurance company to check out the car. Any thoughts on if it's fixable or if they would total it? It's more of a driver and not sure if everything is original. My father in law bought it in 81 and completely rebuilt the motor (327) and added a few upgrades. My wife is devistated to say the least. It was a huge part of her and her father's life.
Almost anything is repairable it’s a question of time and money. That said the most important thing now is a quality repair.
Start getting recommendations and visit several shops.
If the at fault driver has sub par insurance use your own insurance carrier and pay your deductible. You’ll get you deductible back when your company collects fromthe other.
If your vette had all it original body panels I would sue the other company for diminished value.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

"Back in the day" stuff like that happened all the time and the cars were back on the road in a couple weeks. Of course the local guru around here is now pushing 80 and long since retired....
Old 09-25-2018, 08:02 AM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

wow Mark -- I didnt know that happened. Glad you are OK and obviously the car is
Old 09-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Don't be surprised if the other car's occupants try to collect from YOU...it happened to me with the uninsured @hole that was at fault in my accident. If you want to know more - or see an actual "diminished value" professional appraisal you can PM me your email address.....lots of advice here but only a few who have lived through a bad crash...
Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Where are you at in NJ? We have some very good restoration shops in the state, and some that are not so good. The shop that repaired Viet Nam Vett's car is absolutely one of the very best, but because of that, his waiting list is about a year long right now.

That is not a car that should go to a regular body shop, even if it is a body shop that does some collector car work. Body shops are not in the restoration business. They're geared up to do collision work on daily drivers. People rely on their daily driver, and need the car repaired and returned to them quickly. Insurance companies want collision work completed quickly too, because they're often paying for a loaner car. When a body shop takes in a collector car, even one that was in a collision, it's a low priority for them to turn the car around, because they know the owner isn't relying on it for daily transportation. If they're busy with collision work, body shops often let collector cars sit for weeks at a time, and only put someone on the car, when they have some down time. Body shops have a lot of employee turn over too, and you may have a string of different people, of differing abilities, working on your car. Don't let the insurance company talk you into taking the car to a body shop. The repairs that car needs should only be done by an experienced Corvette shop, or at the very least, a collector car restoration shop.

I'm sure there are members here that can recommend some reputable shops. I'm very familiar with a number of the shops in the south Jersey/Philadelphia area, and might be able to recommend one in central or north Jersey.

Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. Cars can always be repaired or replaced, people not so easily.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Where are you at in NJ? We have some very good restoration shops in the state, and some that are not so good. The shop that repaired Viet Nam Vett's car is absolutely one of the very best, but because of that, his waiting list is about a year long right now.

That is not a car that should go to a regular body shop, even if it is a body shop that does some collector car work. Body shops are not in the restoration business. They're geared up to do collision work on daily drivers. People rely on their daily driver, and need the car repaired and returned to them quickly. Insurance companies want collision work completed quickly too, because they're often paying for a loaner car. When a body shop takes in a collector car, even one that was in a collision, it's a low priority for them to turn the car around, because they know the owner isn't relying on it for daily transportation. If they're busy with collision work, body shops often let collector cars sit for weeks at a time, and only put someone on the car, when they have some down time. Body shops have a lot of employee turn over too, and you may have a string of different people, of differing abilities, working on your car. Don't let the insurance company talk you into taking the car to a body shop. The repairs that car needs should only be done by an experienced Corvette shop, or at the very least, a collector car restoration shop.

I'm sure there are members here that can recommend some reputable shops. I'm very familiar with a number of the shops in the south Jersey/Philadelphia area, and might be able to recommend one in central or north Jersey.

Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. Cars can always be repaired or replaced, people not so easily.
Glenn is absolutely correct.

The good news is you have an insurance company that is accustomed to dealing with classic cars and their typically finicky owners. The only real challenge now is finding the right shop to do the work. Be patient and the results will be everything you expect.

Good luck and I'm very sorry for your trouble... GUSTO
Old 09-25-2018, 09:40 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
In the pictures I posted above the insurance covered a respray and blend of the front of the car up to the undamaged doors....I kicked in the add'l amount to spray the whole car.....to avoid exactly the situation you describe..
Stingray Noob (hereinafter "OP")
As a guy who is no stranger to fighting with insurance companies (mostly non-auto) I cannot stress enough how important it is to take advice from Frank and the others here who have been through this with Corvettes. This is not a run-of-the-mill collision situation, you have a damaged classic which brings a host of issues to the table not otherwise operative such as loss of value and proper repair of a car made from plastic and in which many original parts are unavailable. As I mentioned in my earlier post and as Frank suggested consider using your own (public) adjuster. This is not about beating Hagerty out of anything, but understand that Hagerty's goal is to minimize its payout while staying within the confines of the policy language. Your goal is to be made "whole" and your car returned to pre-loss" condition within the confines of the policy language. These objectives conflict, so it becomes the adjusters role to represent your interests.

Hagerty has a good reputation for adjusting losses fairly as long as the policy holder is astute, otherwise Hagerty will take advantage of ignorance as will most any company in business to make money. You are fortunate to be in the Northeast where there are plenty of Corvette shops who can fix this car. As I said earlier and as Frank said as well, you can turn this car around so its better than it was before the accident.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 09-25-2018 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, were both of you wearing seat belts? And were they the stock lap belts? I gather you were driving but were uninjured so did your father-in-law hit the dash with his head? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Stingray noob
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
If you don't mind me asking, were both of you wearing seat belts? And were they the stock lap belts? I gather you were driving but were uninjured so did your father-in-law hit the dash with his head? Thanks.
The does not have any seat belts at all. Unfortunately my stepfather does not have the best reflexes and did hit his head on the dash. Definitely could have been much worse. Considering adding lap belts after everything is fixed or is that a no no?
The following users liked this post:
65air_coupe (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,789 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I had a similar type of accident in my Factory Five Daytona Coupe. A clear, sunny day at about 2:00 in the afternoon in Rhode Island heading back to CT. A kid in a Honda runs the light and makes a left turn right in front of me. Destroyed the one piece front nose and my radiator. My left frame rail in turn totaled his car by skewering his front right wheel, pushing it into the engine. We were doing about 40. I had no frame damage. Both the wife and I were wearing five point harnesses and were basically unhurt. At the scene, the punk admitted running the light and we had several witnesses. His insurance company Progressive later called me, asked if I was okay. When I said yes, he said the punk said it wasn’t his fault and tried to low ball me. I said my wife may have a concussion. He said he didn’t know she was in the car. I said yes and I want my car returned to perfect and was willing to fight for it. Never heard from him again and USAA managed the $16k repair and recovery from Progressive.

i hope you get it sorted quickly and “returned to perfect”.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:02 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

The does not have any seat belts at all. Unfortunately my stepfather does not have the best reflexes and did hit his head on the dash. Definitely could have been much worse. Considering adding lap belts after everything is fixed or is that a no no?
These cars had lap belts from the factory so adding them is a yes yes in my opinion.

Last edited by AkrHack; 09-25-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Stingray noob
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AkrHack
These cars had lap belts from the factory so adding them is a yes yes in my opinion.
Is there any reason my car wouldn't have them? Couldn't imagine it being legal to remove them. I know very little about the car because it sat for 3 years and had only a few short conversations with my father in law about it before he passed.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:17 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Is there any reason my car wouldn't have them? Couldn't imagine it being legal to remove them. .
Yes, someone removed them. No. it was not legal to remove them nor was it smart. Have them installed while its being fixed.

Dan

Old 09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

Hagerty will treat you well. I had a claim with them on my 67 and the experience was great. Don't give the car to a non-Corvette shop! Let an expert decide if it needs a new front end and, if it does, let an experienced pro do it. I did it on my 65 and it took me 6 months to get everything just the way I want it. A lot of collision shops will try it and just slap it on the car using a lot of screws to hold it in place. Good luck.

Doc
Old 09-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by JL66REDCPE
wow Mark -- I didnt know that happened. Glad you are OK and obviously the car is
Yeah John,
That happened 6:30 AM Coming home from Corvettes @ Carlisle at Exit 7 on the AC expressway which leads to the NJ Parkway South.

When I rolled across the guardrail My seat belt held me in the seat. My head did not hit the wheel but my upper body was thrown forward. The impact was strong enough for my cell phone to fly off my belt loop and ended up in the passenger side foot well.

What saved my butt from injury was the front bumpers and the brackets that support them They absorbed the impact. Of course ...all the metal support work was toast.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:52 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Glad you guys are ok - sorry 'bout the car. You may want to consider going with a 3 pt shoulder belt system. I'm in the process of doing that in my '66.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:54 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Is there any reason my car wouldn't have them? Couldn't imagine it being legal to remove them.
Corvettes always came with seat belts, as part of the car's standard equipment, but most other cars didn't come with them until 1968.

Federal law mandated that seat belts be installed in all seating positions starting with the 1968 model year. Prior to that, some states required them, but usually only for the two front outer positions. I don't see how it would be illegal to remove belts from any car built before they became required by law in 68. I'm not sure that it's illegal to remove them today, but since most states now have laws requiring that seat belts be worn, I would think that not having them in a car built since 68, would at least get someone a ticket for not wearing belts.

People removed belts for all kinds of reasons. The early belts were a pain in the neck, because they didn't have retractors, or at least not ones that worked well. The belts were always tangled up, and in the way, and since most people didn't wear them back then anyway, it wasn't uncommon for people to remove them.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning graphic images

Old 09-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Stingray noob
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm new to classic cars and never would have thought about cheap repairs lowering the value of the car. I will definitely make it clear from the start with Hagerty that I expect quality repairs. Once they give me some numbers and a list of recommended shops I will definitely follow up. Maybe now I can get details on what kind of mods my father in law had done to it since he bought it in '81.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm new to classic cars and never would have thought about cheap repairs lowering the value of the car. I will definitely make it clear from the start with Hagerty that I expect quality repairs. Once they give me some numbers and a list of recommended shops I will definitely follow up. Maybe now I can get details on what kind of mods my father in law had done to it since he bought it in '81.
There is ONE repro panel on my repaired split window - the body shop saved the fenders and nearly all other components including the one-year-only fiberglass headlight buckets. I found an original hood, headlight motors, front bumpers, nose support rods, front header support bar and radiator core support, water pump and original horns. Pain in the butt and added time onto the repairs but the results were worth it to me...

Again don't get talked into a one piece front end or just putting a front clip on the car joined over the front wheel arches...hopefully the repairs won't extend to that.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-25-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The OP needs a known quantity tri-state area Corvette restorer willing to do insurance work that has or will have a slot; and for that shop to represent the OP's interests, which I imagine a good shop would do. Suggest you post Hagerty's suggested shops and let folks here say what they know. Then you need to see who isn't so busy that they can take the work.

Dan

Quick Reply: [C2] Warning graphic images