C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Warning graphic images

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Stingray noob
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warning graphic images

So I had been meaning to update an older thread that I had started 2 months ago but had not had the car looked at by a c2 mechanic to find out all the ins and outs of the car. Short story is that my wife inherited a 65 stingray from her father. I Brought it to a general mechanic to drain gas tank, check fluids, breaks etc and everything looked great. Between work and it raining every day in NJ my wife and I only took it out a few times. Yesterday I took my stepfather for a ride but the car never made it back safely with my stepfather headed to the ER (he's ok, just a bad headache. Some impatient kid decided to turn left at a light and we collided head on. Waiting for the insurance company to check out the car. Any thoughts on if it's fixable or if they would total it? It's more of a driver and not sure if everything is original. My father in law bought it in 81 and completely rebuilt the motor (327) and added a few upgrades. My wife is devistated to say the least. It was a huge part of her and her father's life.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:08 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

pictures?

ANYTHING can be rebuilt
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 09-24-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Stingray noob
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Stingray noob
So I had been meaning to update an older thread that I had started 2 months ago but had not had the car looked at by a c2 mechanic to find out all the ins and outs of the car. Short story is that my wife inherited a 65 stingray from her father. I Brought it to a general mechanic to drain gas tank, check fluids, breaks etc and everything looked great. Between work and it raining every day in NJ my wife and I only took it out a few times. Yesterday I took my stepfather for a ride but the car never made it back safely with my stepfather headed to the ER (he's ok, just a bad headache. Some impatient kid decided to turn left at a light and we collided head on. Waiting for the insurance company to check out the car. Any thoughts on if it's fixable or if they would total it? It's more of a driver and not sure if everything is original. My father in law bought it in 81 and completely rebuilt the motor (327) and added a few upgrades. My wife is devistated to say the least. It was a huge part of her and her father's life.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Yes it’s fixable. Have you seen the resurrections on this site? This one looks easy.

His unibody car is totaled.

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 09-24-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Yes its fixable, though we cannot see the drivers side wheel and suspension damage to know the full extent. I don't see it totaled but if it is, buy it back and get it fixed. Play your cards right and the car will be better than it was. I have a good friend who used Hagerty to essentially restore a driver Cadillac after it had been rear ended. He is a master self-adjuster...as it were. You might even want to hire a public adjuster to represent you if you are not comfortable or experienced muscling an insurance carrier.

Dan
Old 09-24-2018, 07:47 PM
webfiero
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh man, it hurts looking at the photos. If your stepfather’s head ache is the extent of injuries it appears you are very lucky. Hopefully now the luck will translate to the car being repaired back to new.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Certainly repairable,about $10k in parts needed, front clip,headlight buckets, core support, radiator,bumpers and brackets, maybe a hood. Can't tell from pics if the frame is bent or not, but it doesn't look too bad. Driver door opens, so that is a good sign. I would guess a reputable shop that knows midyear Corvettes will estimate it around $25k for repair and painted blended into the doors.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Do you have a picture of the front driver side wheel/fender area? Looks very fixable.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Our car after a deer strike didn’t look as severe but the repair was about the same. A whole new Sermershiem jig assembled front end. Absolutely repairable and the 20-25k is in the ballpark depending who does the work. Won’t the car get a salvage title if totaled in your state? If so I’d never let it be totaled. Sorry not at my work computer or would send pics of my whole front end removed. Sorry and glad no one hurt.

I knew I wanted a new press molded front end and asked Sermershiem (now Lee Bumb) for names of shops near me who they sold lots of front ends to. Working out well. Yes fixable. Not much worse than mine. Best wishes. And keep that heirloom.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Take heart...

Show your wife this magazine article....and this picture of the car today...her beloved car can actually be made better than it was...

Don't get talked into substandard parts or one piece front ends, insist on original or press molded panels.... Use a Corvette shop with a solid reputation....

Lawyer up.... that car was more than a car it was a piece of family history - a good lawyer (depending on STATE LAWS) can go after "diminished value", impact on your "enjoyment of life" and a whole lot of other things... Again this depends on state laws and the insurance coverage.

Get informed!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Magazine_Article.pdf (4.38 MB, 193 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-24-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Unless you have collector car coverage to fall back on, expect some headaches dealing with his company. First off, you DO NOT want it going to a collision shop for someone to learn fiberglass repair on. By law, you do not have to use any shop strongly suggested by his company. It is your choice alone, where you have it repaired.
I have a restoration shop and do collector car insurance repairs on occasion, so contact me if you have questions about the process. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Bad ..But It Can Be Repaired

Spun out on an exit ramp on the Atlantic city Expressway. Road was wet and a Septic tank truck had been

leaking sewage from the coiled up hose on the rear. Came around the corner on the exit ramp at 25 MPH..Foot off the gas and the Vette just spun and rolled across the guard rail and then did 4 donuts and came to a stop on the shoulder.

Police showed up after I called and his car spun out and almost hit me. The exit road was covered with sewage. My Corvette Body guy installed a Brand new GM Authorized "Shimershine" front clip.Factory exact.

No worries....sorry to hear about your crash. She will live again as mine does.

Last edited by Viet Nam Vett; 09-24-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 PM
Stingray noob
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! The insurance company is Hagerty and I have heard good things. These are the only 2 pics I have as of now. It was towed to a body shop (of course he said they want to work on it) but Hagerty is going to send me a list of approved shops that they deal with. The body shop guy did show me that where the passenger door closes there is ZERO space and the driver side door has about a 3/4 inch gap. I would have thought that it would have been the other way around. He said the frame is likely twisted a little. The paint job is original and out of a 1-10 is probably a 5. Looks good in pictures but not so good in person. It would look really strange if the front have of the car looks perfect and the back like a 53 year old car lol. If they fix everything do you think they would paint everything?

Last edited by Stingray noob; 09-24-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:35 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Hagerty has never disappointed me when I've done work for them. They look out for the customer's best interest by paying to have things fixed right. That's all you can ask for.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! The insurance company is Hagerty and I have heard good things. These are the only 2 pics I have as of now. It was towed to a body shop (of course he said they want to work on it) but Hagerty is going to send me a list of approved shops that they deal with. The body shop guy did show me that where the passenger door closes there is ZERO space and the driver side door has about a 3/4 inch gap. I would have thought that it would have been the other way around. The paint job is original and out of a 1-10 is probably a 5. Looks good in pictures but not so good in person. It would look really strange if the front have of the car looks perfect and the back like a 53 year old car lol. If they fix everything do you think they would paint everything?
In my case their was red lacquer paint to deal with.... My Corvette Body guy told the insurance company that he will not paint the New Front Clip with Base Coat Clear coat and that a part of the doors would have to be blended in . He said ..the complete car must be painted with B C C C. He would not do the job as mixing Lacquer with the B C C C is a No No.

Hence a Complete paint removal down to Fiberglass and then start all over doing right. The insurance company didn't bat an eye. After all damaged metal was replaced the car was repainted as you see it in the first pic. Total Cost..??? 38K. it took 13 months as my guy is a perfectionist. Didn't cost me a $.01.

Not sure about Hagerty as they are an agent who rep's many insurance companies. They are a Good outfit and I know of Corvettes that were handled by them with no problem. I use "Grundy World Wide" as they are the insurance company backed by 5 underwriters in their group.

Make sure you get good parts and the job is done by a Midyear Repair shop. God luck.

Last edited by Viet Nam Vett; 09-24-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Damn, so sorry to see this. I hope everyone is ok.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Sorry, that sucks! Probably a good thing you have Hagerty (or your Step Father does), as I've always heard good things about them too.

Main thing is to find a shop that knows what they're doing.

Pat

Get notified of new replies

To Warning graphic images

Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! The insurance company is Hagerty and I have heard good things. These are the only 2 pics I have as of now. It was towed to a body shop (of course he said they want to work on it) but Hagerty is going to send me a list of approved shops that they deal with. The body shop guy did show me that where the passenger door closes there is ZERO space and the driver side door has about a 3/4 inch gap. I would have thought that it would have been the other way around. He said the frame is likely twisted a little. The paint job is original and out of a 1-10 is probably a 5. Looks good in pictures but not so good in person. It would look really strange if the front have of the car looks perfect and the back like a 53 year old car lol. If they fix everything do you think they would paint everything?
I paid the difference to take from the firewall back down to glass and prime/paint it all. Worth it if Hagerty doesn’t cover it. Sounds like the car will be in the family a long time. Do it right so there’s no regrets. Best wishes
Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

In the pictures I posted above the insurance covered a respray and blend of the front of the car up to the undamaged doors....I kicked in the add'l amount to spray the whole car.....to avoid exactly the situation you describe..

Old 09-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost anything is repairable it’s a question of time and money. That said the most important thing now is a quality repair.
Start getting recommendations and visit several shops

Quick Reply: [C2] Warning graphic images