C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wind Deflector for a convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:44 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Default Wind Deflector for a convertible.

I would like to reduce the wind noise in our C2 and found they make these Wind Deflectors for the C3 and up. I couldn't find the C2 version, but I could easily build one.

https://www.cabriosupply.com/chevrol...ctor-1968-1982

So the question: has anyone used one of these and are they worth the money and effort?

Thanks,
Ron b
Old 09-29-2018, 02:44 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
I would like to reduce the wind noise in our C2 and found they make these Wind Deflectors for the C3 and up. I couldn't find the C2 version, but I could easily build one.

So the question: has anyone used one of these and are they worth the money and effort?

Thanks,
Ron b
Interesting! Something I have been looking for as well. There can't be much wrong with the product itself.
I did send them an email...
The following users liked this post:
R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:20 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

There was a fellow on this forum several years ago who designed and made one for his C2 and posted up pictures of it. He was very proud of his achievement and how it solved the wind/noise problem. He was ridiculed so much for it that I don’t think he ever posted to the forum again.

You could try searching the archives for his post.

Steve
R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I have been in cars (e.g. Mercedes Benz') where I was amazed how well these air dams work (I'm no aerodynamicist). I suppose it's not unlike how a pickup truck bed tailgate gets better gas mileage on than off.

I would be interested if anyone makes a decent one for a C2 convertible.
R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
There was a fellow on this forum several years ago who designed and made one for his C2 and posted up pictures of it. He was very proud of his achievement and how it solved the wind/noise problem. He was ridiculed so much for it that I don’t think he ever posted to the forum again.

You could try searching the archives for his post.

Steve
That is really sad. Wish that guy could have seen the good side of this forum. Lots of super helpful folks on here, but yeah, I've seen the bad side as well.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:10 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Did some more searching and it looks like they do work. Stilll haven't found one for a C2. We drive R66 for enjoyment, she is no trailer queen, but neither am I. I found a couple of forum posts, but no real details. I think I'll pursue it this winter. I want it quickly removable with no permanent modification to the C2. I have some aluminum tubing and plexiglass to play with. I was hoping for some details on the angle at which it is mounted so I wouldn't have to play with design so much. Any input would be appreciated.
I have gotten non constructive criticism on just about every thing I have made for the C2, so I must have elephant skin. Everyone needs a laugh. Bring it on, I graduated from 8th grade, so I can handle it.

Ron
The following 2 users liked this post by R66:
Easy Rhino (09-29-2018), PaulUptime (10-03-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by R66
Did some more searching and it looks like they do work. Stilll haven't found one for a C2. We drive R66 for enjoyment, she is no trailer queen, but neither am I. I found a couple of forum posts, but no real details. I think I'll pursue it this winter. I want it quickly removable with no permanent modification to the C2. I have some aluminum tubing and plexiglass to play with. I was hoping for some details on the angle at which it is mounted so I wouldn't have to play with design so much. Any input would be appreciated.
I have gotten non constructive criticism on just about every thing I have made for the C2, so I must have elephant skin. Everyone needs a laugh. Bring it on, I graduated from 8th grade, so I can handle it.

Ron
all I can contribute is that all I have seen on any vehicle (including my 2010 Chrysler Sebring), the windscreen is vertical, no angle.
Bill
R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:47 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Bill,
I have never seen one up close, but I am assuming it has to stick up above the occupant's head by an inch or two. If you still have the Sebring, can you give me an idea of the height of it from the top of the sheet metal (e.g., top of the door or quarter panels)?
It looks like I will have a problem getting a support on each side from the floor area as the seats are back against the deck lid. My wife likes her seat all of the way back, so I am guessing this is not negotiable.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-29-2018, 06:58 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
Bill,
I have never seen one up close, but I am assuming it has to stick up above the occupant's head by an inch or two. If you still have the Sebring, can you give me an idea of the height of it from the top of the sheet metal (e.g., top of the door or quarter panels)?
It looks like I will have a problem getting a support on each side from the floor area as the seats are back against the deck lid. My wife likes her seat all of the way back, so I am guessing this is not negotiable.

Thanks,
Ron
From the C7 Forum, this company advertises and might be of some help in dimensions, etc.

https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...ck-p-6404.html
R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:15 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
From the C7 Forum, this company advertises and might be of some help in dimensions, etc.

https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...ck-p-6404.html
That C7 wind deflector is cool . . . it looks like a piece of plexiglass. Why not make a similar piece for the C2 and bolt it between the vertical part of the deck lid and the deck lid cover strip? That should be easy . . . maybe I'll give that a shot!
R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by R66
Bill,

Thanks,
Ron
the Sebring deflector is a screen mesh affair made specifically for the sebring. I see no reason why you can't make bracketry for a suitably sized deflector that will extend from the interior and offset back behind the seat back, OR something that will insert into the convertible top holes in the deck lid, OR even install the hardtop receivers in the decklid to give you something to bolt to, OR a combination of all

for reasons I don't understand, I can't post pictures; but here is a link to a picture

https://www.lovethedrive.com/catalog...yABEgKYhPD_BwE

Bill
R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:53 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by R66

Thanks,
Ron b
The worth or value is in the nicely finished frame. The cost is probably close to US $225 with shipping (in the 60's my mom would justify the purchase as the equivalent cost of ruined beehive hairdos).

The mounting of the soft top of a C3 is not that much different than a C2. I have never measured and compared the width of the C2 & C3 soft top mounts in the body to verify how similar they are (anyone).

The screen listed is 26 cm high x 104.5 cm wide (about 10 1/4 inches high x 41 5/32 inches wide). The brackets appear to be ~ 1 x 3/16 strap steel, that could be bent to adjust to wider or more narrow soft top mount bolt holes, and cut down to fit lower in the top storage. The frame appears to be very close to 5/8" steel tubing wrapped in leather with the screen sewn into the wrap. If the width is not too wide for a C2 and it does not bolt in with minimal bending of the brackets, fabricating new brackets should not be that difficult. There is no reason it would not work on a C2, if the brackets can be modified to fit the C2 mount width.

R66 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:26 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Thanks gentlemen.
I thought of what Tom is talking about attaching it on the vertical part of the deck lid where the vinyl trim bolts on, but am afraid of the vibrations from the wind breaking the fiberglass. Of course, I could brace it from the convertible top latches as Bill said to help eliminate some vibration. Might be the easiest.
A little harder, but I like the mounting of the one 63 340HP has on his and it looks like it could fold down or be made to fold down under the deck lid when cruising in town. I have a welder and some material to make it from. I am thinking the polycarbonate that I made the splash guards on the R66 and the "cow catcher" on the 68RS would be perfect. I worry about a screen interfering with the rear vision, but then again, is the screen fine mesh like window screens? That would be easier and a lot cheaper than the polycarbonate (yes, I am cheap). Then again, a couple of hundred $$ isn't that bad and is the the absolute easiest.
I also thought of going down to the metal divider of the jack storage area and clamping or bolting vertical supports there. I have some old truck topper bows that I could use for the frame and also I have bent EMT conduit in the past for this kind of thing.
They are sure proud of their products for the C7.
The wife isn't going to be happy if I spend a week or two building something, but she's learned to tolerate me and my crazy ideas for 50 years now.
Keep any more ideas coming, maybe we can come up with the ultimate C2 windscreen.
Thanks to all again,
Ron
I'll have all winter to work it out and refine it.

Last edited by R66; 09-30-2018 at 03:33 AM. Reason: easiest
Old 09-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

With headrests, 3 point seat belts and rear wind deflector all you'll need is an Audi TT body to drop on the chassis and you're all set
SLWRNU (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I've tried to think of a good, simple way to add a rear windscreen to my C2. While I agree that appearances are not always the best, it makes a huge difference in a nice Sunday cruise that includes a stretch of 70 mph interstate. I'd be very interested if a vendor came up with an attractive solution.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Form follows functioning my opinion, the looks are secondary to the performance of the product. I want to make one that comes off easily or folds down on top of the top when I don't want it up.
I went to a car show yesterday and saw one like 63 340HP show in his reply on a C2, as well as a couple of the plastic ones on C6s and C7s. The one on the C2 looked a little large and obvious that it was an add on, but it looked functional where the C7 screens looked more like added toys and I wonder if they really helped that much. Of course all C6 and C7s that I have seen have built in head rests so the windscreen only has to be 3 or 4 inches above the seat. I didn't like the screen on the one on the C2 as it appears to reduce vision from the rear. The owner wasn't around, so I couldn't get his input.
Anyway, I am going to try the one 63 340HP shows on a C3, but with polycarbonate sheet. This will take a while to figure out how to install the brackets without cutting the vinyl trim covering the top hinge bolts, if I go that way. The one the C2 at the show had was pipe slip joints with the pipe attached to the inner fender housing, not my style.
Anyway, this will be a cold weather project so I'll post the results in a couple of months hopefully.
Thanks for the input
Ron
Old 10-01-2018, 09:04 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Our C6 came with a windscreen so I assume it was designed to work properly but I don’t know because we’ve never used it it’s still in the box.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Wind Deflector for a convertible.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:57 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Mine is the first convertible I've had in nearly 30 years. When the suns out I want to be out as well. But, they don't like baseball hats. Not, at least like they where meant to be worn. Sorry but I'm not wearing mine backwards. So, I bought a little English hat off Amazon. A little better but I still have to pull it down tight. It does help if I roll up the windows.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:59 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
Form follows functioning my opinion, the looks are secondary to the performance of the product. I want to make one that comes off easily or folds down on top of the top when I don't want it up.
I went to a car show yesterday and saw one like 63 340HP show in his reply on a C2, as well as a couple of the plastic ones on C6s and C7s. The one on the C2 looked a little large and obvious that it was an add on, but it looked functional where the C7 screens looked more like added toys and I wonder if they really helped that much. Of course all C6 and C7s that I have seen have built in head rests so the windscreen only has to be 3 or 4 inches above the seat. I didn't like the screen on the one on the C2 as it appears to reduce vision from the rear. The owner wasn't around, so I couldn't get his input.
Anyway, I am going to try the one 63 340HP shows on a C3, but with polycarbonate sheet. This will take a while to figure out how to install the brackets without cutting the vinyl trim covering the top hinge bolts, if I go that way. The one the C2 at the show had was pipe slip joints with the pipe attached to the inner fender housing, not my style.
Anyway, this will be a cold weather project so I'll post the results in a couple of months hopefully.
Thanks for the input
Ron
As an owner of C2 & C7 convertibles I can say that the backdraft on a C7 is not a big factor like it is on a C2.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:12 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
The worth or value is in the nicely finished frame. The cost is probably close to US $225 with shipping (in the 60's my mom would justify the purchase as the equivalent cost of ruined beehive hairdos).

The mounting of the soft top of a C3 is not that much different than a C2. I have never measured and compared the width of the C2 & C3 soft top mounts in the body to verify how similar they are (anyone).

The screen listed is 26 cm high x 104.5 cm wide (about 10 1/4 inches high x 41 5/32 inches wide). The brackets appear to be ~ 1 x 3/16 strap steel, that could be bent to adjust to wider or more narrow soft top mount bolt holes, and cut down to fit lower in the top storage. The frame appears to be very close to 5/8" steel tubing wrapped in leather with the screen sewn into the wrap. If the width is not too wide for a C2 and it does not bolt in with minimal bending of the brackets, fabricating new brackets should not be that difficult. There is no reason it would not work on a C2, if the brackets can be modified to fit the C2 mount width.

Here's the dimensions of the brackets I got from the vendor:
'Brackets are 9cm wide. From end of the wind deflector to the side of the car. Size of the brackets from wind deflector to the hood frame mounting position to the front is 13cm.'
R66 (10-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Wind Deflector for a convertible.