C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Put on 1959 hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Put on 1959 hubcaps

Hello members,

I bought new stock rims from Corvette Americas and trying to put the hubcaps on but without any success. I read from the forum tricks putting feet at bottom and hit with rubber mallet between 3 and 9 o'clock but it won't go on. I have spent about one hour trying to put on just one hubcap. I even put some white grease at the 4 nubs of the rims but still won't go on. Any other idea? I have never seen a hubcap that is so difficult to put on. I don't think I need to sand down the nub a little bit?
Old 10-03-2018, 03:34 PM
ack fia
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Aftermarket wheels / hubcaps

Originally Posted by kdnguyen
Hello members,

I bought new stock rims from Corvette Americas and trying to put the hubcaps on but without any success. I read from the forum tricks putting feet at bottom and hit with rubber mallet between 3 and 9 o'clock but it won't go on. I have spent about one hour trying to put on just one hubcap. I even put some white grease at the 4 nubs of the rims but still won't go on. Any other idea? I have never seen a hubcap that is so difficult to put on. I don't think I need to sand down the nub a little bit?
I just reinstalled the hubcaps on my 57 with aftermarket wheels. The only way I could get them on is shown in the picture. The caps just pop right on with the original wheels.

The following users liked this post:
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 03:50 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,430 Likes on 737 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

are the wheels painted?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:30 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Originally Posted by csherman
are the wheels painted?
Yes but all the paint came off from the nubs.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:36 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Originally Posted by ack fia
I just reinstalled the hubcaps on my 57 with aftermarket wheels. The only way I could get them on is shown in the picture. The caps just pop right on with the original wheels.
What kind of floor jack was that? Where can I buy like auto parts store?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:41 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Its just a generic bottle jack. Inexpensive at Harbor Freight.
Never saw a cap put on like that before. Very creative.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Thank you for the idea and I bought a standard bottle jack from the store. However, I believe it only works when it sitting up like on a level surface. I have tried horizontal setup like in the picture and the jack won't come out. I think it only work on level surface standing up. Was your model a special one that you can jack up horizontal?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:07 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Originally Posted by ack fia
Thank you for the idea and I bought a standard bottle jack from the store. However, I believe it only works when it sitting up like on a level surface. I have tried horizontal setup like in the picture and the jack won't come out. I think it only work on level surface standing up. Was your model a special one that you can jack up horizontal?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

It's just possible that reproduction wheels are made with slightly thicker steel. (I didn't even know there was a reproduction of the C1 wheels) That would be typical for newer wheels to meet todays safety specs. If that's the case, the wheel would be made to the same outside dimension but be slightly smaller on the inside dimension. That would make installiong the wheel cover very difficult.

As an example, a friend with a 65 mounted his new radials on late Chev S-10 Blazer spare wheels which are close in dimensions. He tried to install the covers but never was able to do so. I tried to help but I wasn't able to install the covers either. I measured the thickness of the old and new wheels and there was definitely a difference. The new wheels were thicker which reduces the inside diameter of the wheel. (I don't remember the exact dimensions) He eventually gave up because he didn't want to damage his 65 wheel covers.

Last edited by Critter1; 10-03-2018 at 08:43 PM.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Critter1
He eventually gave up because he didn't want to damage his 65 wheel covers.
Yeah, I was cringing at the use of a bottle jack. If it takes that much force, something else is wrong and you're at risk for damaging your wheel covers.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Hello members,

I installed the repro wheelcovers on a 62 with reconditioned nub wheels about 17 years ago . It was fairly difficult but eventually I got them on. The powder coating on the nubs was scratched off . I used a 4 lb. rubber dead blow hammer. After the initial l installation the covers now go on quite easily.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:10 PM
kdnguyen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
I installed the repro wheelcovers on a 62 with reconditioned nub wheels about 17 years ago . It was fairly difficult but eventually I got them on. The powder coating on the nubs was scratched off . I used a 4 lb. rubber dead blow hammer. After the initial l installation the covers now go on quite easily.
Should I grind down the nubs a little bit to put on the hubcap?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Should I grind down the nubs a little bit to put on the hubcap?
It might work. Also you might rub a little grease on the ground down nub. In my case it was just perseverance.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have never had to resort to a bottle jack of several tons capacity to install a dang wheel cover....likewise I've never had to park my butt on the ground and use my two feet to install one either.

That includes all major car brands over 50 years, not when they were new, not when they were old and had dinged up wheels and not with my brand new repro 63 wheels.

Someone needs to take some time and figure out what the real issue is.....something is out of spec or someone has soft hands or is not aggressive enough with their technique.

Installation on brand new, reproduction Corvette Specialties reproduction 1963 wheels - I realize the attachment is different than C1s (no nubs) but its still a friction fit with spring fingers on the cover. There are no issues with the dimensions, configuration or finish on the wheel:

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-04-2018 at 07:29 AM.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I have never had to resort to a bottle jack of several tons capacity to install a dang wheel cover....likewise I've never had to park my butt on the ground and use my two feet to install one either.

That includes all major car brands over 50 years, not when they were new, not when they were old and had dinged up wheels and not with my brand new repro 63 wheels.

Someone needs to take some time and figure out what the real issue is.....something is out of spec or someone has soft hands or is not aggressive enough with their technique.

Installation on brand new, reproduction Corvette Specialties reproduction 1963 wheels - I realize the attachment is different than C1s (no nubs) but its still a friction fit with spring fingers on the cover. There are no issues with the dimensions, configuration or finish on the wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLsoJpimKKE
I have never seen a full cover go on that easily that does not become a frisbee at the first pothole.
I have to align the cap on the rim. Squat down and put both knees on the cap at about 4 and 7 o'clock. Then take a large rubber hammer (dead blow is easier) and alternate from side to side tapping the cap on. I have had to adjust the tabs on some caps.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 AM
ack fia
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default hubcaps on repo wheels

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLsoJpimKKE
I have tried all of the suggestions here and none worked. The jack pump has to be at the bottom (or at least on the side). If the pump is at the top it will not work. What I do is put pressure on the cap and then tap around the edge, usually one tap and the hubcap pops on. I never put a lot of pressure with the jack, just enough so that the cap will pop over the nubs. Yesterday I did all four wheels. The only pain is getting the car in the right place. Jack is one that my Dad had many years ago.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I had the exact same experience with reproduction caps on my original wheels.
I would encourage you to keep trying.. Each attempt stretches the metal a little bit in the right way.
It's very frustrating, I know. I would estimate I spent 2-3 hours to get 4 of them on the first time.
The good news is it only takes me 5-10 minutes now.. After they sit on place for a while.... they take the proper shape.

The key for me was to NOT place any portion of the cap "all the way" on the rim.
You have to just start it in one place, then go around and even it up... then push it on a little further... rinse and repeat.

Last edited by SDVette; 10-04-2018 at 11:44 AM.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Put on 1959 hubcaps

Old 10-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by R66
I have never seen a full cover go on that easily that does not become a frisbee at the first pothole.
I have to align the cap on the rim. Squat down and put both knees on the cap at about 4 and 7 o'clock. Then take a large rubber hammer (dead blow is easier) and alternate from side to side tapping the cap on. I have had to adjust the tabs on some caps.
Well - you have now and I can show you three more if you like
Been driving with them for months at speed and down the brick streets of my small town....and they stay tight and flush to the wheel edge...
Old 10-04-2018, 01:25 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,430 Likes on 737 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I have seen that the wheels that are painted are much harder to install than ones that are powder coated
Happened to me.....
Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

One thing the jack would be good for is putting enough pressure on the cap to line it up to the center of the wheel and keeping cap there. And then tapping on the edge of the cap with a rubber hammer. I do not think he was implying to put the full force of the jack on cap.
kdnguyen (10-05-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] Put on 1959 hubcaps