C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 57 conversion from gen. to one wire alt.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:57 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default 57 conversion from gen. to one wire alt.

I'm converting the 57 from generator to alternator with a voltmeter instead of ammeter . Need diagram on best way to wire it . I understand that the red wire from the alternator should go directly to the bat. on horn relay and on my new voltmeter just shows two terminals grd. for ground and "I" for a wire to go directly to a terminal on the ignition switch or other switched 12 volt source . In the original wiring diagram you have a heavy black wire coming from the solenoid to one side of the ammeter along with a small red wire going to the cigar lighter . And on the other side of the ammeter you have the large red wire that goes to the horn relay and the light switch and another small black wire running from that same red wire on the ammeter to the ignition switch . What wires if any can be eliminated ? What does the small black wire to the ignition switch and the small red wire to the light switch power ? Are the original two large wires from the ammeter ( red and black ) supposed to be connected to carry the charge back to the battery ? If anyone has a diagram for any of this , I would appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:02 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,248 Likes on 837 Posts
Default Some good information here..............

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ersion.151223/
Old 12-27-2018, 08:04 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

With a 1 wire ALT I would just run a #8 wire from the Alt to the Battery and call it a day.

The volt meter + should be hooked to a switched source and the neg to ground.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
With a 1 wire ALT I would just run a #8 wire from the Alt to the Battery and call it a day.

The volt meter + should be hooked to a switched source and the neg to ground.
Thanks for the reply . I know that would work and take care of the charging part but still need to know what to do with the original wires . The small red wire to the light switch and the small black wire that runs to the ignition switch would still need power and with the wires disconnected from the ammeter I don't see how that would happen . That's why I asked if the wires from both sides of the ammeter should just be connected together .

Old 12-28-2018, 07:52 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Default Found it

I got all of the answers that I was looking for over on the TRI-FIVE Corvette section . Thanks to Don ( acardon )
Old 12-28-2018, 09:26 PM
PattiR
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I got all of the answers that I was looking for over on the TRI-FIVE Corvette section . Thanks to Don ( acardon )
please share your "answers"
Thanks,
Dennis
Old 12-28-2018, 11:42 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PattiR
please share your "answers"
Thanks,
Dennis
Connect all four wires at ammeter location and insulate . ( do not use these wires for voltmeter ) . ( The voltmeter just has a ground and a + terminal that goes to a 12 volt switched source ) . Remove the red wire from the horn relay that goes to the generator . Leave the red wire on the horn relay from the junction fuse box . Remove both wires from the generator that go to the regulator. Run a new 10 gauge or larger wire from the alternator to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid . Don also said that you need a voltmeter instead of an ammeter because the ammeter is only rated for 40 amps. I'm using a 100 amp alternator with a voltmeter .

The following users liked this post:
PattiR (12-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 57 conversion from gen. to one wire alt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] 57 conversion from gen. to one wire alt.