C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Wouldn’t shift intonreverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Wouldn’t shift intonreverse

A couple of days ago, tried to go for a ride but I couldn’t get into reverse to get out of the garage. Several years ago I had experienced the problem of the transmission getting stuck partially in reverse and a forward gear. Result no movement. This is a 63 with a Muncie 4 sp. This time I assumed all I needed to do was jack her up, crawl under and adjust the shift linkage as I had done for the previous problem. But what I found was the tip of the reverse lever out of the stock shifter was striking the frame cross member.

Bubba happened to be passing by and we decided the fix was to loosen the bottom transmission mount bolts and try jacking up the tranny a little until the shift lever would clear. With my cut-off wheel I fashioned 2 u- shaped shims out of washers and slid them under the mount and tightened up the bolts. The lever now clears and reverse is easy to engage.

This car is just coming out of being restored after being flooded last tear in Houston’s Harvey encounter and been driven numerous times and had about 300 miles. The engine and transmission were both out of the car. All I can figure is that the rubber transmission mount had settled a bit and caused the interference. Is this something others have experienced?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:29 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by kingwoodvette
All I can figure is that the rubber transmission mount had settled a bit and caused the interference. Is this something others have experienced?
I don't think this is completely uncommon of any car from the 60s with a rubber composition mount. It would be a good idea to replace it.

Quick Reply: [C2] Wouldn’t shift intonreverse