C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Another Holley 3810 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:49 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by steve meltzer
tried to use a magnet to pick up the debris we saw...not clearly metallic...nothing on the magnet. TBarb, i'll check on that, but wouldn't that exhibit a problem all of the time, not jsut from a cold start up? thanx. s
It may or may not, still got to rule it out. All a process of elimination, disconnect the secondary throttle shaft to eliminate that after you work past the choke mechanism.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 AM
steve meltzer
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Drove the car this AM...started and ran great. But the acid test is in the AM when I predict the throttle arm will be stuck. thanx .more later. s
Old 10-18-2018, 01:54 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

tried to use a magnet to pick up the debris we saw...not clearly metallic...nothing on the magnet. TBarb, i'll check on that, but wouldn't that exhibit a problem all of the time, not jsut from a cold start up? thanx. s
The magnet's failure to pick up the debris doesn't prove that the debris is not metallic, just that it's not magnetic. The magnet would not pick up zinc or aluminum, for examples.

Last edited by SI67; 11-11-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:25 PM
steve meltzer
Pro

Yes, of course, the debris could be just dust or who knows what. Drove the car yesterday and the ambient temp was significantly cooler than it has been. Parked the car while i worked, went out there to go home and again, the throttle arm was "stuck", as it has been sitting overnight. Here's a picture of the fast idle cam, taken after work, when cold and stuck...sitting at the top of the steps. My wife inadvertently stepped on the gas pedal before I could watch carefully, so not sure what happened when it loosened up, but the fast idle cam didn't move. Car started great, fast idle appropriately in play, tho' I didn't look at the carb once the car started. Drove home: excellent. Once at home, the fast idle mechanism was in the same place as it had been when the throttle was stuck (top step).

with the car still hot from the drive home, i dc'd the choke rod from the thermostatically controlled coil. Went out there this AM: throttle stuck, as predicted, disconnecting the choke rod made no difference and the fast idle cam remained on the top step, as it was when i closed shop last night. So, i've got some info, but not sure what to do with it! Move on to dc'ing the secondary linkage as suggested by TBarb? thanx s
Old 10-18-2018, 01:27 PM
steve meltzer
Pro

sorry, here are the pictures. s

Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,524 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Excellent, Steve!

Here’s my next thought. Primary throttle plate binding when cold. Reasoning:

1. When the carb is warm, the plates move freely.
2. As the carb cools, the choke is off and the carb body contracts just enough to catch the plate.
3. When you depress the accelerator pedal, it frees the plate and the choke holds it open just enough to keep it free.
4. Once warm, it doesn’t stick as the interference is gone.

Something to try. Loosen all four carb mounting bolts. Retorque them in three steps in a crisscross pattern to a final torque of 70-80 inch/lbs.
The following users liked this post:
steve meltzer (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 PM
steve meltzer
Pro

Great! I actually thought of that, too, but hadn't put the plan into action. i'll post the list when i get that done. thanx. steve
Old 11-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

brian, what caused yours to bind? thanx. s
It was the Factoid fix, a slight adjustment with a screw driver in the slot of the fast idle arm. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:19 AM
steve meltzer
Pro

Still in the fight here, but tied up with other stuff.....loosening the hold down nuts on the intake studs made no difference. more later. s
Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

I'll post some pics of my carb on Thurs of Fri.
steve meltzer (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 AM
steve meltzer
Pro

thanx, that would be great. s
Old 11-13-2018, 06:29 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

when the engine is completely cold and you press all the way down on the throttle you are into the "choke unloader" which causes some extra resistance

Last edited by PAmotorman; 11-13-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
when the engine is completely cold and you press all the way down on the throttle you are into the "choke unloader" which causes some extra resistance
Clem, this is more of a lock up situation that requires a hard stab onto the throttle to free it up. The fast idle arm rides above the fast idle cam, a slight adjustment to this arm frees it up.
steve meltzer (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:58 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Hmmm, throttle was bound when I go back to it today, I thought the fast idle arm was getting stuck on top of the fast idle cam, that's not the case, the step cam moves freely of the arm. Will report back tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:05 PM
steve meltzer
Pro

OK, took the carb off the car so I could get a better idea about what the heck is going on. I believe that the small, curved/bent rod that links the primary throttle mechanism to the secondary shaft (on the left side of the carb) was causing my problem. By bending and straightening that linkage rod mechanism, the primary now moves easily and freely. Have yet to drive the car, but it seems like a good start, as, on the bench, the accelerator arm moves perfectly. thanx so much. steve
(I can post a picture if anyone is interested...just need to move to another computer)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:04 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

OK, took the carb off the car so I could get a better idea about what the heck is going on. I believe that the small, curved/bent rod that links the primary throttle mechanism to the secondary shaft (on the left side of the carb) was causing my problem. By bending and straightening that linkage rod mechanism, the primary now moves easily and freely. Have yet to drive the car, but it seems like a good start, as, on the bench, the accelerator arm moves perfectly. thanx so much. steve
(I can post a picture if anyone is interested...just need to move to another computer)
that rod is what closes the secondary after they are opened by vacuum
Old 11-17-2018, 05:42 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

In pulling the secondary's closed it also secures them firmly closed at idle. I noticed when I recently rebuilt my Holley and was re-assembling it, that link needed to be adjusted as it wasn't securing the secondary blades fully closed at idle. On my 3247, the primary linkage kind of goes a little over center on it's end of the link when the throttle is closed which locks the secondary's down as long as the link goes all the way to the end of the slotted cam.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Holley 3810 question

Old 11-17-2018, 09:35 PM
steve meltzer
Pro

yep, that's it, but please don't post such pretty pictures of pristine carbs and intakes...makes my POS, look like, well, a POS. thanx again. s
Old 11-18-2018, 05:14 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

From my research I just want to add to the information about the secondary closing link.

I always thought the same as Dan about the link holding the secondary blades closed at idle but that's not it's purpose. When lifting the throttle the link will mechanically close the secondary blade but the air above at atmospheric pressure will force them closed at idle because the blade area is offset.

The secondary link is adjusted correctly when at 1/3 to 1/2 primary throttle blade opening the link allows the secondary blades to be open approx the same amount as the primary blades. At this point, both the primary and secondary blades will continue to open the same amount all the way to WOT. When adjusted like this there will be some play in the link at idle, remember the air against the offset blade keeps the secondary blades closed at idle.

This will ensure that when the secondary blades open they are held against the link and open equally with the primary blades, that is the desired effect when the secondary is tuned correctly.
steve meltzer (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tbarb
From my research I just want to add to the information about the secondary closing link.

I always thought the same as Dan about the link holding the secondary blades closed at idle but that's not it's purpose. When lifting the throttle the link will mechanically close the secondary blade but the air above at atmospheric pressure will force them closed at idle because the blade area is offset.

The secondary link is adjusted correctly when at 1/3 to 1/2 primary throttle blade opening the link allows the secondary blades to be open approx the same amount as the primary blades. At this point, both the primary and secondary blades will continue to open the same amount all the way to WOT. When adjusted like this there will be some play in the link at idle, remember the air against the offset blade keeps the secondary blades closed at idle.

This will ensure that when the secondary blades open they are held against the link and open equally with the primary blades, that is the desired effect when the secondary is tuned correctly.
you got it
steve meltzer (11-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Another Holley 3810 question