C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

This 1963 Grand Sport Pops up at Jay Leno's and I Hate It

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by RJ1
Jim thanks for your response. Good info. Yes my D&D was serial # 50. I bought it after it went though an auction here in Miami. It had come out of Cleveland and the owner said he did part of the build and D&D did some. I talked to Dean on the phone a few times after I bought it. He loved to talk about his cars and hear of there status, Great guy. Did he ever have to do jail time? Sold it on E Bay. Loved that car but was making room for a 67 435HP Top Flight roadster. Yes it was a young guy who bought it. He and a friend drove down from Pennsylvania with a trailer to pick it up. I think they worked for the phone company. Do you know what became of the car? Does he still own it?
You own the D&D prototype? Is that the one in your picture?
Thanks. Ray
I thought I recognized your car, Ray. I corresponded with Gary for a couple of years after he bought the car. He pulled the body, painted the frame black, and..... well, now I don't remember what else he did. I dropped the ball on our correspondence in late 2006 when my focus shifted to supporting my bride who was going thru chemo. I've always meant to try re-connecting with him.... just haven't done it.

Dean did do some jail time for selling the same car simultaneously to three different buyers. As I recall, he got out because his lawyer argued that he couldn't possibly deliver the car(s?) to the buyers if sitting behind bars.

The car in my avatar is from Mid America Industries and is my vintage racer. Heckuva lot of fun to go wheel to wheel with other Corvettes, Mustangs, and Cobras.

The D&D prototype my bride tracked is shown below. It's masterfully crafted from some positively awful D&D molds. The doors differ in length by 3/4". The door strikers have to be shimmed 1/2" to align with the door latches. That said, it's a rock solid car powered by a Real Deal TRACO 377. Dick Guldstrand Hizzelf re-engineered the downright goofy front suspension geometry which was found on all D&D Grand Sports with serial numbers 38 and lower.

From its appearance, you can see why the German thought he could sneak it into Germany as the real #003 GS.

Jim

Old 10-17-2018, 10:39 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I thought I recognized your car, Ray. I corresponded with Gary for a couple of years after he bought the car. He pulled the body, painted the frame black, and..... well, now I don't remember what else he did. I dropped the ball on our correspondence in late 2006 when my focus shifted to supporting my bride who was going thru chemo. I've always meant to try re-connecting with him.... just haven't done it.

Dean did do some jail time for selling the same car simultaneously to three different buyers. As I recall, he got out because his lawyer argued that he couldn't possibly deliver the car(s?) to the buyers if sitting behind bars.

The car in my avatar is from Mid America Industries and is my vintage racer. Heckuva lot of fun to go wheel to wheel with other Corvettes, Mustangs, and Cobras.

The D&D prototype my bride tracked is shown below. It's masterfully crafted from some positively awful D&D molds. The doors differ in length by 3/4". The door strikers have to be shimmed 1/2" to align with the door latches. That said, it's a rock solid car powered by a Real Deal TRACO 377. Dick Guldstrand Hizzelf re-engineered the downright goofy front suspension geometry which was found on all D&D Grand Sports with serial numbers 38 and lower.

From its appearance, you can see why the German thought he could sneak it into Germany as the real #003 GS.

Jim

Jim again thanks for the new information. From the picture your D&D looks really nice. You put a lot of work into it. It is probably worth a decent amount considering the back ground history and it being the prototype. It looks like the real GS that I have seen at Monterey Historics some years. Do you still race it?
I guess Gary didn't like the yellow frame!! I never had to do anything but a tune with the GS all the while I had it. I think it sat a little off center on the frame so he may have fixed that as well as painting the frame. It was barely noticeable. My wife was going though the chemo during that same year as your wife, Breast cancer.
Thanks, Ray
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by RJ1
Jim again thanks for the new information. From the picture your D&D looks really nice. You put a lot of work into it. It is probably worth a decent amount considering the back ground history and it being the prototype. It looks like the real GS that I have seen at Monterey Historics some years. Do you still race it?
I guess Gary didn't like the yellow frame!! I never had to do anything but a tune with the GS all the while I had it. I think it sat a little off center on the frame so he may have fixed that as well as painting the frame. It was barely noticeable. My wife was going though the chemo during that same year as your wife, Breast cancer.
Thanks, Ray
Ray, I can't take any credit for the car's appearance. It was gorgeous when we got it. Mechanically, tho, it was a mess. I'll take credit for making it a solid, safe track car my bride could trust: The rear suspension was on the verge of collapse because of the way Dean mounted the rear coil-overs. The sloppy wiring had no consistent color code and there were butt splices everywhere; looked like it had been done by a 10 year old. It had the weenie single pot, early C4 front brakes. The scattershield hadn't been properly dialed in and it was difficult to get the Muncie into gear. The flywheel/pressure plate assembly weighed close to 50 lbs. And I already mentioned the laughable bump steer issue. After I fixed these issues, the car was and is to this day bulletproof.

My sympathies to you and your wife. Breast cancer, which is what my bride had, not only affects the body it does a head trip on both of you also. My bride's cancer has metastasized in such a way she can no longer drive. We sold the prototype last year to a fellow in Wilmington (yes, that Wilmington). It's OK.

I went thru the archives here at Chaos Manor and found the attached picture. Look familiar?

Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Ray, I can't take any credit for the car's appearance. It was gorgeous when we got it. Mechanically, tho, it was a mess. I'll take credit for making it a solid, safe track car my bride could trust: The rear suspension was on the verge of collapse because of the way Dean mounted the rear coil-overs. The sloppy wiring had no consistent color code and there were butt splices everywhere; looked like it had been done by a 10 year old. It had the weenie single pot, early C4 front brakes. The scattershield hadn't been properly dialed in and it was difficult to get the Muncie into gear. The flywheel/pressure plate assembly weighed close to 50 lbs. And I already mentioned the laughable bump steer issue. After I fixed these issues, the car was and is to this day bulletproof.

My sympathies to you and your wife. Breast cancer, which is what my bride had, not only affects the body it does a head trip on both of you also. My bride's cancer has metastasized in such a way she can no longer drive. We sold the prototype last year to a fellow in Wilmington (yes, that Wilmington). It's OK.

I went thru the archives here at Chaos Manor and found the attached picture. Look familiar?

Jim thanks for the picture. Gary changed everything and bet I wouldn't recognize the car when he finished it. Do you know Steve Barber from Northern Cal SCCA racing days? I bought his old 65 Corvette race car when

I lived in LA many years ago. I think he then built a Pro GTO Camaro. Here is a picture of the car at Willow Springs.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:09 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by RJ1
Jim thanks for the picture. Gary changed everything and bet I wouldn't recognize the car when he finished it. Do you know Steve Barber from Northern Cal SCCA racing days? I bought his old 65 Corvette race car when

I lived in LA many years ago. I think he then built a Pro GTO Camaro. Here is a picture of the car at Willow Springs.
Ray, the name is vaguely familiar but I don't recognize the Corvette. It looks to have been built to rules which likely would have been in effect in the '70s, which is a little later than permitted by the vintage clubs with which I've run.

Now you've got me curious about the fate of your old #050; I might have to reach out to Gary.... if the email address I have for him is still current.

Jim
Old 10-19-2018, 09:59 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Ray, the name is vaguely familiar but I don't recognize the Corvette. It looks to have been built to rules which likely would have been in effect in the '70s, which is a little later than permitted by the vintage clubs with which I've run.

Now you've got me curious about the fate of your old #050; I might have to reach out to Gary.... if the email address I have for him is still current.

Jim
Jim if you get any updates on 50 let me know. I bought the 65 Corvette from Steve in 1985. He was a regular racer at what was called Sears Point back then. Thanks, Ray
Old 10-19-2018, 10:27 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
"wouldn’t you at least want the feel of the original car instead of something that rides like a C6 with a stripped interior?"

I have complained about these posting in the past that they put a bad light on this forum due to a lack of correct info which should NEVER happen in a post by an editor.
It is obvious from the above quoted statement that the OP has never spent any time in a REAL noisy, rattily, HOT race car.
The people that buy these are NOT racing them and would never get their wives to ride with them in one of these cars without at least A/C. These cars are for people looking for attention from the select few that even have an idea of what one of these original cars were and know they are not fooling anyone.
I agree with what you said. I cannot afford a real A/CCobra, but I have loved those cars since I first laid eyes on it. So I built an ERA 427 with a period correct motor. My oldest son and I did most all of the assembly. I so enjoyed doing that with him. While a replica we both cherish what it represents to us and the time we spent together.

BTW it is fun to drive.

Last edited by KEZ06; 10-19-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by RJ1
Jim if you get any updates on 50 let me know. I bought the 65 Corvette from Steve in 1985. He was a regular racer at what was called Sears Point back then. Thanks, Ray
I just sent a note to the address I had for Gary 12 years ago. Stay tuned.....
The following users liked this post:
RJ1 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

I just sent a note to the address I had for Gary 12 years ago. Stay tuned.....
Jim got your e mail. Thanks again. I will send Gary and e mail and see if I can get some pictures of the current set up of 050. Ray
Old 01-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Dante Lombardi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Dante Lombardi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leno's car was a D & D Corvette Grand Sport Replica. Dean was under contract to NEVER reveal that. Well, Uncle Dante' was no longer working with Dino.... SOOOO Yep, Leno's car is a D& D....no ******* arguments..Built one for Tool Time guy as well.... Tim's got one. They're all stuck-up ******. But us plebes sure make some nice sports cars for them!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dante Lombardi
Leno's car was a D & D Corvette Grand Sport Replica. Dean was under contract to NEVER reveal that. Well, Uncle Dante' was no longer working with Dino.... SOOOO Yep, Leno's car is a D& D....no ******* arguments..Built one for Tool Time guy as well.... Tim's got one. They're all stuck-up ******. But us plebes sure make some nice sports cars for them!
I know the car; I drove it once. It's #069 and Tim sold it several years ago to a fellow in the SF Bay Area. It has since gone to either Oregon or Washington state and I've lost track of it.

Quick Reply: This 1963 Grand Sport Pops up at Jay Leno's and I Hate It