C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Did you restore your c1/c2 BEFORE the internet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:22 PM
iamq
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 57 Posts

A guy once told me about a yard that had old cars, but warned me that the old guy that ran the place was a bit off. Every time he went there the guy was always bitching and complaining about something and DO NOT disagree with him or he wont let you in. Sure enough the first time I went it was the phone company he was pissed at and it was about 10min of rant before he asked why I was there and what I wanted? This happened every time I went there, the government or politicians were high on his list. The last time I went there his kids took over the place and most of the old cars were gone, but dad was still there standing at a 55 gal drum stripping wire from wire harnesses and bitching about the weather .

PS the kids delivered a complete front end for a 70's El Camino for $200 because I had hit a deer the week before.....
Old 10-20-2018, 03:32 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Seems like back in the day every junkyard had THE world's meanest guard dogs. I also remember the squawk box (hoot-n holler?) blaring from who knows where asking for a part.

Parts on an airplane-----took a vent grill and wiper linkage (from Pomona) in my carry on back to Michigan.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:10 AM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Chevy parts counter
local Corvette club members/newsletters/meetings
junkyards
swap meets (TMichaelis used to show up before dawn with a dozen+ of his employees carrying walkie-talkies and they would spread out through the meet, checking stuff as the sellers were unloading it, call Michaelis when they found parts so he could OK or dicker on price, and they'd clean out pretty much every rare or nice/NOS part by 8am... argh!)
Hemmings
NCRS Driveline newsletter
Corvette magazines (for sale section)

...Oh, and chroming didn't cost a small fortune.

Last edited by waynec; 10-21-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:04 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Pro-Team has a pretty attractive website. If you were shopping for a Corvette in the pre-internet 1980's you could find an ad in Hemmings Motor News for a guy in Ohio named Terry who usually had a large assortment of Solid Axles and Midyears with a minimal description and an address. I remember having to send a self-addressed stamped envelope (remember those ?) and a week later receiving a crude but lengthy computer printout, folded over about five times with the body type, engine, transmission type, mileage, exterior/interior colors and price. From there you had to inquire about photos …

Ray
Old 10-21-2018, 11:57 AM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

"Terry in Ohio" and TMichaelis are the same guy
Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by waynec
Yessir, I saw this as a pretty good example of how Corvette sales have moved from SASE's to the interwebs.

Ray
Old 10-21-2018, 01:13 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Do you remember Linda Layman? It was Terry's girlfriend or wife at the time he was in prison. He never stopped selling parts or cars during that time through her.

Last edited by 68hemi; 10-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:39 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

some of the 'repro' parts he sold were pretty bad. The spare tire cover for a C1 and the hinge pillar covering come immediately to mind. But they kinda, sorta looked like the original stuff
Old 11-01-2018, 09:48 PM
havasumark
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great question!!!
I started restoring my 62 before the internet, and just completed it this past week. (with internet) LoL!!. I can remember in the beginning browsing thru a catalog and writing down part numbers I needed. Then calling on the phone to place my order. I would read off the part number and quantity I needed for each part, then they would repeat it back to me. It took a bit of time but had lots of good conversation while completing the process.
Oh! and takin pictures of your process, then bringing the role of film to get developed. Of course now the process is so much different.
Funny, just last week my wife and I were talking about this very subject.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Do you remember Linda Layman? It was Terry's girlfriend or wife at the time he was in prison. He never stopped selling parts or cars during that time through her.
In prison for what? Corvette rustling?

As an aside, when i see someone who suddenly showe3es back up after lengthy hiatus, I say: " "George (or whatever the name). long time no see, when did they let you out of prison? Always good for laugh when otehr people are around. Usually...
Doug

Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I love junk yards, even with the information benefits of the CF and other sources.

I still keep a mopar new process 833 overdrive “four speed” for which I no longer own a car (my 70 challenger) I bought it from a yard in the boonies outside statesboro GA and hauled it home around 2003. The memory made me so happy.
still have my MY6 along with the Muncie
Bill

Quick Reply: [C1] Did you restore your c1/c2 BEFORE the internet?