C1 Did you restore your c1/c2 BEFORE the internet? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page >

[C1] Did you restore your c1/c2 BEFORE the internet?

Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Did you restore your c1/c2 BEFORE the internet?

Old 10-17-2018, 02:29 PM
iamq
CF Senior Member

Default Did you restore your c1/c2 BEFORE the internet?

When I did my body off restoration in 1979, all I had was the 62 assembly manual, the 4 page Rowley Corvette parts catalog, and the Corvette Central parts list, which was 2 pages(I still have them, the prices are a hoot). The only other source I had was a neighbor who was another car guy and Dave down at NAPA who got all the mechanical parts. When I got my car it was a one owner no hit car that was complete. If it wasn’t complete I don’t think I could have done it back then.. Today I’m restoring another car and its totally different with the internet. You can research parts from multiple supplies, price check one against the other, place an order, and have it show up in 2 days… The other nice thing is that people review the parts, good or bad which helps with the selection process. If you have a technician question the forums are a great place to get help and guidance from experts and a few not so expert, lol. Just reading random other threads gets you thinking about solutions to your problems or quicker/better ways to do what you are working on…

Just think about how many times you use the internet when you do almost anything on your car...

For those that restored your car before the internet, what were your sources of info for doing the restoration?

Here's a few pics from back then, sorry for some of the small size Polaroids... remember them...

Old 10-17-2018, 03:08 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I kept all my Pontiac GTO's running long before the internet with parts sourced from the dealer (until the early 1980's), junk yards (plenty of GTO's in CA wrecking yards even into the early '90's, swap meets, and, of course, Hemmings Motor News. Didn't use the internet until I restored my 1915 Ford in 2006. I used the internet in 2015 to size up my '61 Corvette prior to, and after purchase, with the generous help of forum members here. (Thanks, Frank!) The internet makes it very easy to source parts, but on the other hand, parts have become more expensive in general as everybody is now educated on values and parts rarity.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:19 PM
65 Pro Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought my first Corvette in 1971 a 65 cp that was damaged in the front end. I was only 17 years old and I learned how to do fiberglass work. Not too many sources of information back then. I did my first frame off restoration on a 64 Corvette’s in 1976, using a bottle jack, four by fours and a bunch of cinderblocks. It’s scored a top-flight the first time out but the judging sheet for and NCRS back then was about eight pages long and not very difficult, but a lot more fun. LOL
Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM
65 Pro Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette View Post
I bought my first Corvette in 1971 a 65 cp that was damaged in the front end. I was only 17 years old and I learned how to do fiberglass work. Not too many sources of information back then. I did my first frame off restoration on a 64 Corvette’s in 1976, using a bottle jack, four by fours and a bunch of cinderblocks. It’s scored a top-flight the first time out but the judging sheet for and NCRS back then was about eight pages long and not very difficult, but a lot more fun. LOL
my first 65
Old 10-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought my '67 in '73. In '75 i went to my close friend and parts manager at Ourisman Chevy and bought all the parts I needed. In the mid eighties I bought some soft parts from sources at Carlisle. Dennis
Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM
62cruiseer
CF Senior Member

Yes, it does make it a simpler process for locating and ordering parts. But, how are you finding the fit and finish of today's parts, compared with those you purchased almost 40 years ago? I've learned in only 6 short months, that most new parts are not created equal.

Today I’m restoring another car and its totally different with the internet. You can research parts from multiple supplies, price check one against the other, place an order, and have it show up in 2 days…

I need to know your supplier. That is way quicker than I get mine and I recently needed some weather strip clips quickly and ordered from a supplier in FL. Instead of shipping on Fed-X, which I gave them my shipper's account number to cover the cost, their shipping department handed it off to the USPS. So, the package came in on Monday and not last Thursday.

I called Thursday morning to let them know the tracking number given on their website was obviously for the USPS and they apologized and agreed to send out another shipment for Friday delivery. I understand mistakes and errors as they happen, I'm in the aviation parts business and know this well. But, this time, the package was sent to the billing address (my home) instead of the shipping address, which they used the day before. My home is gated, so the package couldn't be dropped off. Got a call from Fed-X on Monday telling us of this problem and we told them of the delivery address error and they said they would deliver to our business address; they come here every day for pick up and deliver. Still haven't seen the package yet and it's Wednesday. Most likely on the way back to the vendor.

The other nice thing is that people review the parts, good or bad which helps with the selection process.

Where do you find this info. I read about a few parts problems on this forum, but as far as finding out about the majority of parts, I find posters are reluctant to post this info. I really wish there was a clearing house for product reviews, it would be most helpful for those who haven't been doing this for years.

BH
Old 10-17-2018, 04:17 PM
1snake
CF Senior Member

I had already done several body-off restorations long before the internet was invented. I used the factory assembly manuals and lots of note taking & drawings. For me, the only thing the internet did was to make it easier to order parts. By far, the biggest help is a digital camera.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:19 PM
wmf62
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '07

yes, although I wouldn't call it a restoration; more like a resuscitation
Bill
Old 10-17-2018, 04:19 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

X2 on the wonders of digital photography. A HUGE help.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:46 PM
iamq
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer View Post

I need to know your supplier.

Where did you get this info
Right now I'm working on a 58 Impala and I know the internet is not perfect, I've had lots of suppliers mis dates with no notification, or miss the dated by a month... or the part totally wrong but easy to send back and eventually get a credit.. I used to drive miles on a rumor that a junk yard might have a car with a part I wanted, only to come home empty handed, and a whole day shot..

Most of the supply houses dont have many reviews, but Amazon and Ebay are filled with them, I discount the good by 25%, and the bad by 50%.. and use the rest..
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM
iamq
CF Senior Member

Defenetly the digital camera has been a great help, the Polaroid was useless for any detail stuf...
Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM
DZAUTO
CF Senior Member

2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Since Jr-Hi (in the 50s), I had always wanted a true HOTROD in 57 Corvette skin----------------lots of healthy engine, 4sp and posi.
Finally, after college (70), in 1973 I came across a 56 that was reasonable (well, sorta). It needed most everything.We had NOTHING to guide us, no assembly manuals or anything else.
In 74 we just started taking it apart---------------totally. We patched all the broken fiberglass areas, I built a healthy 327, rounded up a 3.70 posi (it already had a Muncie). We did all the body and paint work in a friend's garage and then put it together. We made a concentrated effort ot make the body straight and restore all the missing trim parts.
In 93, EVERY piece of trim, bumpers, windshield, etc, etc was removed and it was repainted. Dale Earnhardt had autographed the underside of the hood, so that was protected with clear coat.
The engine went from a 2x4 327 to FI350 to SB400 (still with FI). In the 80s or 90s(?), I bought an assembly manual, but very seldom referred to it.
Today I have my HOTROD in 56-57 Corvette skin. Just what I wanted.

The day I brought it home in 73.

A few days later with Ralley wheels.

Several months later.

Lots of chrome (which I regret now--I used to work at a plating shop).

Today.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:28 PM
iamq
CF Senior Member

Very nice!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 PM
AZDoug
CF Senior Member

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Long before, a couple times, and if anyone has never had the pleasure of sifting through endless,and unsorted Hemmings Motor news ads (in the 1" thick monthly publication), you haven't lived, or gotten eyestrain, or wondered what numbskull would have Corvette parts interspersed with Nash, Ford,and Hupmobile parts in one endless two page, five columns per page ad of 7 point type looking for a particular part..

Doug
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZDoug For This Useful Post:
mark6669 (10-19-2018), mcb55-210 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:00 PM
phil2302
CF Senior Member

My 66 has never been restored just maintained. With previous cars that we did restore living about 10 miles from LICS really limited our need to shop online.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 PM
DansYellow66
CF Senior Member

Not pre-internet but pre-my entrance to the internet. Also prior to digital cameras. Internet probably would have been a great help but I suspect my budget expenditures would have gone up with the additional help.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:12 PM
65GGvert
CF Senior Member

Trick question, you couldn't restore a Corvette before the internet.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:14 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Tom,
That is the first time I have seen any pre-resto pics of your car AND the first time I have ever seen a C1 with C2 side exhaust.

To the masses.
The term restored had many meaning to people back in the day which early on to most meant making a car LOOK like it did when it was new. Most people did not care about factory correct parts and used what was available from their local parts store.
The vast majority of cars that were restored in the 70s would fail miserably in NCRS current day judging. Not saying you have a poor example, bad work or anything like that. It is just that so much has been discovered about these cars in the ensuing years that a Top Flight car from the 70s may not make any flight certificate today. We did the best we could with the info available. I was a faithful HMN subscriber for 30 years but not since I became Internet savvy as much as an old guy can be. Yes, a digital camera can be a big help but if you don't have just a worn original car that needed resto it did no good for the guys that had bought day 2 cars that had been customized to the point of missing many original parts. All you could do prior to NCRS was try to find an original car to compare to. Most people had no idea what an AIM was or if you could get one.

Last edited by 68hemi; 10-17-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,369 Times in 1,246 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I remember in mid and late 90’s helping Dad restore his first 67. I remember going to Carisle events with rolls of film hoping to find other 67 built in June of 67 and was a small block to take pictures of details. All we had for books was a AIM, the Noland Adam book, the GM service manual, GM parts book for 53-72 and Paragon catalog. Also he had friends that worked at the Chevy parts counter that would look up and find odd ball parts.He had a few friends who were long time NCRS members and judges who he would call every now and then for help. But that was it. Then I found this site

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 10-17-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:10 PM
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My first restoration (actually, more of a "resto-mod", although that term didn't exist in 1959) was a '53 I found on a used car lot in 1958 for $900; it became my "Woodward Car", with a blown Buick "nailhead" V8. Next up was a '61 I restored body-on in 1966, then a '65 coupe I restored body-off in 1969, then a '65 Tanker I restored body-off in 1971, then a '67 coupe I restored body-off in 1973. During the 70's I also restored several 60's V-12 Ferraris.

In those days there was no internet, no digital cameras, long-distance phone calls were VERY expensive, and most communication was with letters, envelopes, and stamps. It was a whole different world, and it's amazing that we got anything done at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnZ For This Useful Post:
mcb55-210 (10-18-2018)

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: