C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Turn Signal Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 AM
eric lipper
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 1963 Turn Signal Cancellation

Have driven my new to me 63 SWC for a couple of weeks and oddly enough have only found one problem beyond the fact that the foam in the seat is too dense so I am sitting too high. The turn signal won't cancel every time. I know it has to do with how many degrees the wheel passes through. My guess is that the cancellation cam is not in the right spot. I assume that I should just put the car up on jackstands and start figuring it out. Any guidance?
Old 10-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Messed with these a lot. The electrical connections are taken care of at the switch on the steering column down near the pedals. It’s connected to the mechanical section under the horn button via a cable. The upper end of the cable has a loop that goes around a pin that moves an actuator that does the cancellation. The cable may need adjusted, the loop may have come off the pin or there may be something misaligned or broken. Not at home now so I can’t share pictures. The adjustment procedures are on the shop manual.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by eric lipper

I assume that I should just put the car up on jackstands and start figuring it out. Any guidance?
I think you should start firguring it out by all means but putting it up on jack stands seems like a waste of time.

Why not start with pulling the steering wheel hub for a look?

If you upper shaft bearing is loose, that might contribute to your problem. Will the steering wheel move up/down?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:56 PM
eric lipper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Messed with these a lot. The electrical connections are taken care of at the switch on the steering column down near the pedals. It’s connected to the mechanical section under the horn button via a cable. The upper end of the cable has a loop that goes around a pin that moves an actuator that does the cancellation. The cable may need adjusted, the loop may have come off the pin or there may be something misaligned or broken. Not at home now so I can’t share pictures. The adjustment procedures are on the shop manual.
FTF, thanks. I will pull out the shop manual and sort it out. I suspect its something simple because it usually cancels turning left but will only cancel right if the turn is at least 90 degrees.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 PM
eric lipper
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think you should start firguring it out by all means but putting it up on jack stands seems like a waste of time.

Why not start with pulling the steering wheel hub for a look?

If you upper shaft bearing is loose, that might contribute to your problem. Will the steering wheel move up/down?
No the shaft bearings on this car are all good. The reason for the jackstands is so I can spin the wheel easier.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

This is what you will find under the horn button... The two metal "hoops" at 2 and 8 0'clock in the picture are your canceling cams....the metal wire loop from the switch cable (shown disconnected) goes around a small arm which is activated by the turn signal handle to move the electrical switch...near the floorboard...

This arrangement is 63-only.

Also note the wide copper horn contact ring on the upper bearing; 63-only as well...finally there is a cylindrical bushing on top of this bearing in 63, not a spring like later midyears...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-28-2018 at 06:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Maryfromma63 (03-18-2024)
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Before you do too much work, get down under the steering column where you can see the electrical switch. You'll see the stiff wire that runs from the mechanism under the hub, down the column to that switch. It attaches to the switch where the wire runs through a sping loaded connector. It is designed so you can depress the spring and slide it up or down the wire to change the "neutral" point of the switch. If the wire/connector position is not exactly where it belongs, you'll have problems with cancellation, usually in one direction only. You can depress the spring and slide the the connector up or down a little to see if that helps. ... The problem may end up being in the hub or the switch itself, but I'd try the easy adjustment first.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I think we all agree with that - the cable adjustment (length actually) limits movement of both the electrical switch and the signal engagement/canceling mechanics...

I've put many a car on jack stands to freely turn the steering wheel and fix turn signal problems - excellent approach...
Old 10-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by kellsdad
Before you do too much work, get down under the steering column where you can see the electrical switch. You'll see the stiff wire that runs from the mechanism under the hub, down the column to that switch. It attaches to the switch where the wire runs through a sping loaded connector. It is designed so you can depress the spring and slide it up or down the wire to change the "neutral" point of the switch. If the wire/connector position is not exactly where it belongs, you'll have problems with cancellation, usually in one direction only. You can depress the spring and slide the the connector up or down a little to see if that helps. ... The problem may end up being in the hub or the switch itself, but I'd try the easy adjustment first.
Is this the process for '63 only? My '64 has the same problem. It cancels on the left side only and only occasionally on the right side. The right side only cancels the it is a full 90+ degree turn. I have replaced the cancelling cam and that helped the left side. The one replaced had cracked.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

All the discussion in this thread is for 63-only....
If you don't see the switch on the steering column mast jacket near the floor board - you ain't got a 63 system:

Old 10-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
All the discussion in this thread is for 63-only....
If you don't see the switch on the steering column mast jacket near the floor board - you ain't got a 63 system:

Weill I ain't got one of them!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:53 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Have driven my new to me 63 SWC for a couple of weeks and oddly enough have only found one problem beyond the fact that the foam in the seat is too dense so I am sitting too high. The turn signal won't cancel every time. I know it has to do with how many degrees the wheel passes through. My guess is that the cancellation cam is not in the right spot. I assume that I should just put the car up on jackstands and start figuring it out. Any guidance?
Eric,

The cancelling cam is a plastic sort of half round part that screws to the bottom of the hub. When you place the signal lever in the left/right position the mechanism shown in Frank's picture moves off center and one of the pawls will contact the cam on return and move the mechanism back to center which cancels the blinker. You can unhook the cable at the switch below or just check the adjustment as it's pretty straight forward and I would be surprised if that was the problem.

I remember reading a post where someone had to bend one of the pawls to correct a cancelling problem but I don't recommend it. Check that the larger slotted hold down screw is snug while allowing unobstructed movement of the ring. Check that the plastic cancelling cam is in good condition and look the pawls over for damage from previous hands. The 1963 steering assembly is actually quite easy but there does not seem to be much info out there on it.

If you take it apart and need an opinion just post up some pics.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:45 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb
. The 1963 steering assembly is actually quite easy but there does not seem to be much info out there on it.
GM has not been able to recapture the simple elegance of the 1963 Corvette turn signal mechanism since Rube Goldberg died. ( .... Yes. That was sarcasm.)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

tbarb is correct - the canceling cam is this nylon do-hickey.....I misstated that the metal "hoops" above were the cams (they are pawls) in my typing zeal... I think the 63 turn signals are elegant in their simplicity and the segmentation of the electrical vs the mechanical function...
This part is nearly indestructible and most likely NOT your problem.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-29-2018 at 10:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eric lipper (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:14 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

'60'64 Corvair (and I believe '62-'63 Chevy II) used the same/similar turn signal design as '63 Corvette. Here's a link that provides some useful information.

http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5897

Here is a trouble shooting diagram from that link.

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeM:
eric lipper (10-29-2018), Frankie the Fink (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 AM
eric lipper
Instructor

Thanks guys. I will tackle this in the next week or two and let you know what the issue was.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Here are the full two pages out of the Corvair Manual
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1963_Turn_Signals.pdf (136.1 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-29-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Turn Signal Cancellation

Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks guys. I will tackle this in the next week or two and let you know what the issue was.
Eric,

I forgot to mention after you clean the associated items put it together dry, (no lube) so nothing gets sticky and can hang up.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

May need this thread.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:34 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kellsdad
GM has not been able to recapture the simple elegance of the 1963 Corvette turn signal mechanism since Rube Goldberg died. ( .... Yes. That was sarcasm.)
Bet some major dude in the GM hierarchy had a 13 year old know-it-all kid who drew it up, similar to its late 70's - late 90's multifunction steering column stalk of agonizingly cheap plastic, used on every car. Someone's brother-in-law had a multi-year contract.

Last edited by dplotkin; 10-29-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 1963 Turn Signal Cancellation