C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Your thoughts on this 1963 Split Window

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear

I should have suggested to look on the web sites of the two big auction houses to see what gets good money vs what doesn’t. If you are building to see as opposed to keep you really should look what people are buying.....IMO
Firstgear, thank you for the advice. I have studied the sales from the two biggest auction houses. It seems the resto-mods do very well. I will see how this one does. My next one will be going to Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale. Thank you again for the input.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:46 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I don't often agree with Mike M but in this case I have say it's just ugly. It's not that I don't like flares but not those and not those aspect ratio tire/wheel combos either. And then using the stock sidepipe covers makes it seem cheap. It looks like you spent too much on the engine bling and had to cut corners somewhere. I do like the 67 style side vents.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:35 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

1st of all IMCO there is room here for everybody from 100% pure stock and correct to radical custom and anywhere in between. Of course that doesn't mean we all agree or share the same tastes. I like your car a lot. I appreciate the work and time that went into it. I will be the 1st to admit my tastes run all over the place. The biggest critique I have on your car is it's probably 80% old school custom with some modern tech mixed in. I have absolutely no issues using large diameter black wheels but I don't think the modern design flat face works. I think the wheels need a lip regardless of the center design. I like the paint on the hood but not the modern script or any of the C7 emblems for that matter. I don't like the black on the roof though as I don't think it does anything to enhance the lines of the car (I'm guessing it's the shape of a stingray?). Last I'm not crazy about the seats. Either C2 seats covered to your choice or a period correct racing seat. In my eyes your car has more of a hot rod look than a restomod look.
Please remember I did say I like it. Could I own it? Of course. You asked for criticism so that's my take which is worth nothing.
Good luck with the sale. I hope the final price exceeds your expectations.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 11-02-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Hideous. You asked.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Everyone has an opinion. For you, hopefully the bidders share one similar to yours. With the talent and experience on this Forum, I would have asked for input during the design or build phase. Good luck with the sale.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 PM
jackal396
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Great looking car, only thing I would change would be the tire and wheel combo, I just tend to like shiny wheels, nice motor.

jp
The following users liked this post:
Vintage Steel (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
1st of all IMCO there is room here for everybody from 100% pure stock and correct to radical custom and anywhere in between. Of course that doesn't mean we all agree or share the same tastes. I like your car a lot. I appreciate the work and time that went into it. I will be the 1st to admit my tastes run all over the place. The biggest critique I have on your car is it's probably 80% old school custom with some modern tech mixed in. I have absolutely no issues using large diameter black wheels but I don't think the modern design flat face works. I think the wheels need a lip regardless of the center design. I like the paint on the hood but not the modern script or any of the C7 emblems for that matter. I don't like the black on the roof though as I don't think it does anything to enhance the lines of the car (I'm guessing it's the shape of a stingray?). Last I'm not crazy about the seats. Either C2 seats covered to your choice or a period correct racing seat. In my eyes your car has more of a hot rod look than a restomod look.
Please remember I did say I like it. Could I own it? Of course. You asked for criticism so that's my take which is worth nothing.
Good luck with the sale. I hope the final price exceeds your expectations.
3Js, excellent and thorough input. I was hesitant on the wheels as I am not a fan of black wheels. However, black wheels seem to be the going trend and the black wheels fit the motif of this particular build. Yes, you are correct, the blacked out top is supposed to be the shape of a sting ray. Good eye noticing the C7 emblems. I do not think anyone noticed the emblems yet. I was trying to keep the classic hot rod look (original side pipe covers, etc.) with some modern enhancements. Thank you again for the feedback. It was very honest and thorough.
3JsVette (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:44 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage Steel
I was hesitant on the wheels as I am not a fan of black wheels. However, black wheels seem to be the going trend and the black wheels fit the motif of this particular build.
I have no issues with the wheels being black. Oh and no issues with the diameter and low profile tires. I'm with you on it fitting the motif of the build. My suggestion is Niche Wheels do not offer a vintage look because they are flat faced and a modern design. I think a an old school look with a lip would be more fitting to the rest of the build. Just about all the billet wheels companies offer custom finishes these days and I know US Mags offers the U500 a traditional looking 5 spoke in gloss black lip with satin black center. Since most of the build is more vintage than modern IMCO I think that type of wheel would stick closer to the theme. Please don't take any of this as harsh. It's certainly not meant to be. Don't forget I said I like it and I could own it.
You asked so I tried to offer constructive criticism.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I knew this was going to be to rough. The guys first post and several have gone straight for the throat! Would it not be boring as hell if we all agreed on a specific car, color, wheels, interior, and so on, and then everyone showed up at the cruise in or car show with the exact same car because this is what has been decided is the best combo! The Internet is a strange place where you invariably say things to someone you would never say to their face. Best of luck with your sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robert61:
Factoid (11-03-2018), ptjsk (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Hope it looks better in person. I am not a fan of the wheels, and that paint job confuses the hell out of me.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Brian
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Love it all motor, wheels, tires etc.; but the black paint needs to be dialed back. If it was just the hood it'd be ok, but that black roof detail in the shape of a stingray is awful and detracts from the lines of the corvette.

Otherwise, its great and wish you luck in the auction.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I’ll stay away from opinions on the car, but I have to ask why you would spell “Stingray” with one word when the car is a ‘63 or a ‘67? Seems odd.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
I knew this was going to be to rough. The guys first post and several have gone straight for the throat! Would it not be boring as hell if we all agreed on a specific car, color, wheels, interior, and so on, and then everyone showed up at the cruise in or car show with the exact same car because this is what has been decided is the best combo! The Internet is a strange place where you invariably say things to someone you would never say to their face. Best of luck with your sale.

So your perception of this car/thread is that theirs a problems with the opinions that were asked for and offered and not about the car which was what was asked for?

Strange place indeed it is on the internet.
Brian VH McHale (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The car is what it is....I wouldn't jump through hoops to own it, but I don't really hate it...

Never been a fan of big flares, if it weren't for those and the Sting Ray facsimile on the roof it would be more appealing to me personally.
Others my like it as is...
Old 11-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeM
So your perception of this car/thread is that theirs a problems with the opinions that were asked for and offered and not about the car which was what was asked for?

Strange place indeed it is on the internet.

my point is if you were at a car show and someone asked for your opinion of their car you would be much less likely to say it's ugly, I don't like this, or that. And by you I mean anyone one not you specifily. I'll just stick by the old adage if you don't have anything good to say_______!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:59 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

my point is if you were at a car show and someone asked for your opinion of their car you would be much less likely to say it's ugly, I don't like this, or that. And by you I mean anyone one not you specifily. I'll just stick by the old adage if you don't have anything good to say_______!

The man asked for the good and the bad.

No need to put a personal spin on opinions that were asked for.

PS. I wouldn't hesitate say anything face/face that I say here. Especially if it was asked for.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:02 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Robert, I understand your sentiment, but the OP started a thread specifically looking for feedback on an admittedly polarizing custom, asking for opinions good and bad. He knew what to expect. I don’t think the opinions he received in return are inappropriate.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 11-03-2018 at 04:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
firstgear (11-03-2018), Rich Yanulis (11-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Your thoughts on this 1963 Split Window

Old 11-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

Robert, I understand your sentiment, but the OP started a thread specifically looking for feedback on an admittedly polarizing custom, asking for opinions good and bad. He knew what to expect. I don’t think the opinions he received in return are inappropriate.
Thank you all for your responses. I welcome the compliments as well as the criticism. I knew going into the forum there would be those who would be gruff and I am okay with it. It is the criticism, compliments and opinions I asked for. Especially since it is a 1963 Split Window, I knew the crowd could get rough. It seems everyone want to keep them as close to original as possible. On the flip side, I am getting a lot of good advice and opinions as well as compliments. I know this build is not for everyone. I am in the early stages of the second build and will consider all of the advice and criticism on the next build.

To clarify, when I started this build, it was already flared. I am not a fan of the aggressive flares myself. However, I built the car around the flared look and tried to design and/or create a car which would like it is supposed to be flared.

Thus, no hard feelings with any of the comments. It does not bother me. The car is what it is and I am sure there are just as many whom like it as those who don't. So...keep the opinions coming! Thank you again.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:02 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

If the car had had mild flares on it, era correct wheels/tires, one color paint, same engine underhood, same interior, I'd been fine with it. Still, probably wouldn't buy it but I'd like it much better.

Does this sound not quite as gruff?

Ps. All the car guys know that the black wheels thing and the rubber band tires appeal to the younger crowd and there are a lot of them sold to that group.

I ain't in that group.

Last edited by MikeM; 11-03-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Then you should listen closely to all of the input offered. Not one has yet thrown up a price. Just show my ignorance, $85k on a good day. If you have designs on selling at the big auctions you are building a name. The flares hurt it as much or more than anything. Not flaming just saying.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this 1963 Split Window