C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Late Model LT1 in a C2?

Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 AM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Late Model LT1 in a C2?

Ok,
I have an opportunity to aquire a 2016, non supercharged LT1 engine, at a reasonable price. My question is how different is this engine to install in a C2 compared to an LS2/3 engine assembly. Are the mounts the same? Will it sit in the same location? Any guidance in this is appreciated.
Thanks, Chris
Old 11-05-2018, 04:50 AM
daz_au
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

From what I have read the physical aspects should be no more difficult, they make all the swap gear for them now.

What is different is the fuel system, the LS3 is a very simple setup using a C6 filter/regulator and a return-less fuel rail.

The LT engines are direct injected and require a precisely controlled delivery achieved using a PWM pump driver with feedback from a line pressure sensor. Here is an article :

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/unde...stem-swapping/

It might take a little while but the after market will catch up to the level of support there is around for LS swaps. One of the primary benefits of an LT with DI is fuel economy, but otherwise it would have to be real cheap to warrant the extra fuss (in my opinion).
The following users liked this post:
MrTrim (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by daz_au
From what I have read the physical aspects should be no more difficult, they make all the swap gear for them now.

What is different is the fuel system, the LS3 is a very simple setup using a C6 filter/regulator and a return-less fuel rail.

The LT engines are direct injected and require a precisely controlled delivery achieved using a PWM pump driver with feedback from a line pressure sensor. Here is an article :

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/unde...stem-swapping/

It might take a little while but the after market will catch up to the level of support there is around for LS swaps. One of the primary benefits of an LT with DI is fuel economy, but otherwise it would have to be real cheap to warrant the extra fuss (in my opinion).
one BIG problem with direct injection motors is that there is no fuel wash to keep the back of the intake valves clean, it is a particular problem with turbocharged engines, maybe not so musc with non-turbos
Bill
MrTrim (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

C7's come with both wet and dry sump engines, so better check which it is. Dry sump would be more work to swap.
Computer/ECM - taking the one out of the car would be a lot of work and buying a standalone one may not be perfectly compatible with the pull out motor. you should look into that.
Motor mounts are not a big deal.
No PS pump on the pullout, so would have to retrofit something, or buy an entirely new front accessory drive system.
Fuel delivery system, as mentioned above, is more involved, and $1000+.
No warranty.

This is what comes to mind.
MrTrim (11-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Late Model LT1 in a C2?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Late Model LT1 in a C2?