C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Installing door solenoids on my 57 hood releases

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Everything is completed for the installation of the solenoid releases for the hood latches and the wiring of the relays etc. but I have a question for the electrical guys . I have both solenoids fused and wired separately with only one push button controlling both solenoids at the same time . I understand that each solenoid requires a 10 amp fuse but with a 10 amp fuse in each one , it will blow a fuse when both are energized at the same time . Is it under fused ? Should I be running 20 amp. or maybe 15 amp fuses in each one ? I've thoroughly checked all connections and everything seems to be wired correctly with no pinched wires .
Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you post a quick diagram of exactly how you have it wired?
Nick
Old 11-14-2018, 04:20 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nick Bernier
Can you post a quick diagram of exactly how you have it wired?
Nick
Hi Nick , As I said earlier , I don't know how to post pictures etc yet so if you send me your personal email , I would be glad to take a picture of the wiring diagram that I made up and send it to you . Later on I plan to figure out to send all of the pictures to the forum . Thanks , BJ

Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM
pwillia
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also will be very interested in seeing pictures of your installation and a video if possible.

Also, wondering what is the part number for the items you purchased from Summit Racing? It sounds from your description that they are door solenoids normally used for electrifying door opening locks and you are modifying them to use on the hood latches?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 04:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bj1k
Everything is completed for the installation of the solenoid releases for the hood latches and the wiring of the relays etc. but I have a question for the electrical guys . I have both solenoids fused and wired separately with only one push button controlling both solenoids at the same time . I understand that each solenoid requires a 10 amp fuse but with a 10 amp fuse in each one , it will blow a fuse when both are energized at the same time . Is it under fused ? Should I be running 20 amp. or maybe 15 amp fuses in each one ? I've thoroughly checked all connections and everything seems to be wired correctly with no pinched wires .
my WAG.... i'm guessing that the latches are exceeding the normal load capacity of the solenoids (doesn't take much to open a door latch...) and therefore are exceeding the normal amperage draw. try increasing the fuse to 15 and 20 as the load should be momentary and not adversely affect the solenoid. if you would have to hold the 'button' in other than momentary the solenoid(s) won't like that and will burn the solenoid and/or wires if it is over fused.
Bill
Old 11-14-2018, 04:35 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pwillia
I also will be very interested in seeing pictures of your installation and a video if possible.

Also, wondering what is the part number for the items you purchased from Summit Racing? It sounds from your description that they are door solenoids normally used for electrifying door opening locks and you are modifying them to use on the hood latches?

Thanks
Sure thing , I will be glad to share all of the information when it is completed . Everything is installed and they seem to have plenty of power but only for an instant due to the fuses blowing . It seems to be under fused so I need some information from some of the electrical experts on the forum as to using larger amp fuses . When everything is operating I will give all of the information as to parts ( Kit # ) etc. No point to doing so yet until I know everything works .

Old 11-14-2018, 04:44 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wmf62
my WAG.... i'm guessing that the latches are exceeding the normal load capacity of the solenoids (doesn't take much to open a door latch...) and therefore are exceeding the normal amperage draw. try increasing the fuse to 15 and 20 as the load should be momentary and not adversely affect the solenoid. if you would have to hold the 'button' in other than momentary the solenoid(s) won't like that and will burn the solenoid and/or wires if it is over fused.
Bill
Thanks for replying Bill . I knew that the original factory springs in the latches were too strong for the solenoids so I added adjustable counter springs on the front tabs of the latches to help lesson the pull for the solenoids . It takes very little pull now for the solenoids . I'm thinking to increase to 15 amp first and go from there but am looking for some different opinions . They are designed to work on 10 amps but that is working with only one solenoid as used in one door but it is activating both solenoids at once .

Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks for replying Bill . I knew that the original factory springs in the latches were too strong for the solenoids so I added adjustable counter springs on the front tabs of the latches to help lesson the pull for the solenoids . It takes very little pull now for the solenoids . I'm thinking to increase to 15 amp first and go from there but am looking for some different opinions . They are designed to work on 10 amps but that is working with only one solenoid as used in one door but it is activating both solenoids at once .
you have not only a spring tension to overcome but also the mechanical frictional load of the latch and its connection to the pin
Bill
Old 11-14-2018, 05:10 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wmf62
you have not only a spring tension to overcome but also the mechanical frictional load of the latch and its connection to the pin
Bill
I understand that . We will see. We need a solution for these latches and you have to start somewhere . It might take some trial and error but as you probably already know , I don't give up easily ..

Old 11-14-2018, 05:35 PM
pwillia
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was looking on the Summit website and saw some solenoids that sound like what you may have used based on the price that you mentioned in your original post (AUTSVL75)?

In the Q&A section for this part, there is a the following:

What is the size of fuse to use to protect the circuit on this solenoid?

Asked by STEVEN M on May 05, 2018

A:We suggest using a 40 Amp relay.
Not sure if that helps at all, but thought I would point it out.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:38 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pwillia
Was looking on the Summit website and saw some solenoids that sound like what you may have used based on the price that you mentioned in your original post (AUTSVL75)?

In the Q&A section for this part, there is a the following:

What is the size of fuse to use to protect the circuit on this solenoid?

Asked by STEVEN M on May 05, 2018

A:We suggest using a 40 Amp relay.
Not sure if that helps at all, but thought I would point it out.
The relays came with the solenoids so I would assume that they are correct but I guess I need someone with more electrical experience to tell me what amp fuse will be needed with 40 amp relays ..

Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

The relays came with the solenoids so I would assume that they are correct but I guess I need someone with more electrical experience to tell me what amp fuse will be needed with 40 amp relays ..
make sure you have the correct wire size for the fuse you are using....
Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Success, I went down to the garage this morning and popped a couple 20 amp fuses in and everything is working terrific . A slight touch of the button and the hood pops open . No more dealing with the primitive cable system . I hate cables . I already eliminated the cable system for the wipers by installing a aftermarket system . For anyone wanting to install the solenoid system I will try to post some pictures but if it don't work I can send it along with a wiring schematic through your personal email if you wish . The only thing that I had to overcome to make it work was that the springs in the latches were too strong so I added adjustable compensator springs to help pull the latches . It might have still worked without the compensator springs but it is less strain on the solenoids so they should last longer .
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Success, I went down to the garage this morning and popped a couple 20 amp fuses in and everything is working terrific .

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-15-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:16 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

I looked up all of the pictures in my camera ( 17 ) I don't know if that is too many to post on here . If it is , I can just email them to people that are interested in installing the solenoids . Any suggestions ?
Old 11-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,523 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Send them to me and I’ll post them in this thread so they appear in one place.

I’ll send you a PM with my email address.
The following users liked this post:
bj1k (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 PM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Very cool

I went with a hydrolic hood lift/close system.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing door solenoids on my 57 hood releases

Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Factoid
Send them to me and I’ll post them in this thread so they appear in one place.

I’ll send you a PM with my email address.
Thanks Mark . Pictures sent !

Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Old 11-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master