C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Gears grinding 1st to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Last time I had a leaky wheel cylinder, I took the line off and capped it Took the cylinder apart and ran a Scotch Brite through it, cleaned up the rubber and stuck it back together. Sprayed brake clean on the brake shoes. Let the cylinder gravity bleed while I swigged down a cold one and put it back together.

Total cost was almost nothing and the brakes work fine.

That was two years ago. Could I qualify for your movie?
Can't say for sure, but could it be possibly for the wrong thread?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

Sure, try all the other tricks first, but I think it’s 10 to 1 odds the problem is the synchros.

BTW - transmissions can be fully functional without synchros - they used to build em that way on purpose. Even Dusenbergs came that way. You just have to know how to drive it properly in that case!
this is what I was thinking too. Older vehicles didn't have synchros, and we learned how to drive 'em. And, as someone else said, double clutching from first to second solves the grinding problem. Or, simply start out in second, another way to "avoid" the problem.

Yet, I know that there are some here who find that anything that doesn't function as designed is anathema to them. Well, to that, I say, "different strokes for different folks". It doesn't bother me when some minor, non safety related, feature doesn't work, and a work around does. I still get to enjoy the car, and I'm okay w/whatever it is I'm abiding.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes most likely synchros. I’d get it fixed instead of doing the ”.....shift, shift, skip, shift” thing.

But try the clutch tweak and fluid swap first.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-10-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Can't say for sure, but could it be possibly for the wrong thread?

No, just a response to post 16 and the other thread about tearing the whole front end off the car, spending a lot of time/money to fix a brake that was pulling to one side.

If you understand the problem, you can make a fix outside "the book" that'll work.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:55 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I guess shift- shift- skip- shift is what you do when you go putt-putt-PUTT-putt-putt...kind of like doing the bossa nova....you have to have a rhythim worked out!
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I guess shift- shift- skip- shift is what you do when you go putt-putt-PUTT-putt-putt...kind of like doing the bossa nova....you have to have a rhythim worked out!

If you pushed on the pedal in your T Model and you heard the gears clash, you'd pull her over in a minute!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:47 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
If you pushed on the pedal in your T Model and you heard the gears clash, you'd pull her over in a minute!
I've been teaching the new owner of the '15 T how to drive it and he is waaaaay out of his comfort zone with the hand throttle, spark advance, low/reverse/brake pedals, crank starting, etc. He definitely won't be texting on his smart phone driving that baby down the road!! Out of pure laziness I had an old 4Runner with a weak third gear synchro that I drove for another 10 years and 80k miles....just double clutched third gear, up and down. No big deal. Synchros are fine on the 'vette, but the bearings in the ST10 are too noisy for my taste, so it's coming out and I'm doing the whole unit. I hate doing hard to get at stuff twice!!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:54 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Update; It was very cold this morning in Atlanta but I had to take the Corvette out to see if the clutch adjustment helped. There seemed to be a little too much free play so I took some out. I started shifting slowly til the car warmed up then some quicker shifts and did not detect any grinding. It's a good sign and hopefully a rebuild won't be needed anytime soon. The plan is to change the transmission fluid over the winter. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Quick Reply: Gears grinding 1st to 2nd