Chicago Corvette +/- Review - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Chicago Corvette +/- Review

Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Panama 58
CF Senior Member

Default Chicago Corvette +/- Review

Looking for positive or negative comments for Chicago Corvette. They may have a rebuilt carb that I am looking for and would like to hear member experiences purchasing from Al at this well established parts vendor. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Avispa
CF Senior Member

PM sent.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM
jrm5657
CF Senior Member

I have purchased Holley parts from Al and never had any issues. I have also sold some carbs to him and he paid good money for them. Delivery of parts has always been timely and payment for carbs was timely as well. I have not found a more extensive inventory of Holley parts than what they have.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 AM
DAN70
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Iíve bought some miscellaneous hard to find parts from them, with no problem.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:54 AM
62cruiseer
CF Senior Member

Dealt with Bob or John numerous times and always great service with no issues on the parts. Recommended!

Butch
Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,370 Times in 1,247 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I highly doubt they have the carb in house. They have a select few rebuilders that do “there” work for them and the lie to you about it
Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 AM
65 Pro Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Usually when you buy a carburetor from them they just happened to have the right dates and number in stock or they can get it for you really quick. Because they re-stamp them. And they are detachable. Buyer beware. I never bought any parts from them so I donít know anything about that.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 AM
65vette396
CF Senior Member

I bought a 3810 Holley on Ebay and it turned out to be from them. They delayed shipping as they "found out the metering block was warped". They found another one and sent the carb. They don't rebuild in house as stated above. The large bowl plugs on each end were epoxied in but it passed NCRS judging with the judge stating it was done for "safety reasons". They are usually higher on their stuff but have some hard to find parts. Supply and demand. Carb is on my car and running fine. Just beware of expectations and results. Make sure you see pics of the carb and stampings before you pay.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,831 Times in 2,308 Posts

I've had a few issues with date-coded things like alternators, etc...

I did buy a pair of dual quad WCFB 270hp clones from them 7-8 years ago and the carb were freakishly good. Seat-of-the-pants better performers than my "real deal" 270hp carbs... I sold these clones to forum member Bill Pilon who has been running the snot of them for about 3 years now. Neither of us did anything but adjust the mixture and idle speed...

So, for what its worth -- that's my experience... They also go by the name of graygacy and Mertzer Carbs...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-09-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Panama 58
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette View Post
Usually when you buy a carburetor from them they just happened to have the right dates and number in stock or they can get it for you really quick. Because they re-stamp them. And they are detachable. Buyer beware. I never bought any parts from them so I donít know anything about that.
This is exactly my concern. When I spoke with Al he was very casual and short about having the dates I was looking for without even checking an inventory list and that raised my suspicions. These would be easy to sand off and restamp. Another vendor who has the carb I need on eBay says that he can't send me pictures of the part # or date until I order the unit. He said, after I buy it he will send a picture and if it's not what I wanted he will refund my money. It seems clear to me that he also intends to "create" what I want once I order. He does say that it is stamped A4 already (this date would do, but prefer a month or two later) , so why won't he confirm it with me via a pic? Interestingly, the carb on my car now works, but isn't correct. In order for this vendor to extend his core discount to me for my existing carb.........he wants pictures of it!! I believe I will keep looking on both counts.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

What is it exactly that you are looking for ?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:27 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Panama 58 View Post
This is exactly my concern. When I spoke with Al he was very casual and short about having the dates I was looking for without even checking an inventory list and that raised my suspicions. These would be easy to sand off and restamp. Another vendor who has the carb I need on eBay says that he can't send me pictures of the part # or date until I order the unit. He said, after I buy it he will send a picture and if it's not what I wanted he will refund my money. It seems clear to me that he also intends to "create" what I want once I order. He does say that it is stamped A4 already (this date would do, but prefer a month or two later) , so why won't he confirm it with me via a pic? Interestingly, the carb on my car now works, but isn't correct. In order for this vendor to extend his core discount to me for my existing carb.........he wants pictures of it!! I believe I will keep looking on both counts.
Sounds to me like you would be better off re-stamping your own carb because that is the same thing you are going to end up with if you buy one from them.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Panama 58
CF Senior Member

I am still looking for a Carter AFB 3720 SA with a date between A4 and F4. It's a mid June '64 with automatic transmission. With the exception of the carb and overflow tank, all other key parts are original to the car. The carb that is on it now is a 3721 SB dated D5. This carb is for a '65 manual transmission with an April '65 date. It runs fine, but because so much of it is original, I want to find a correct one that either has been rebuilt or can be at a later time. The 3721 SB was a service replacement carb back in '65, but the ones for automatic transmissions should be SA and not SB.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You should call David Sokolowski as a start....if you don't have his number you can PM me...
Old 11-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Panama 58
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
You should call David Sokolowski as a start....if you don't have his number you can PM me...
Did that already. Best he could do was an M3 (December of '63). The same carb was used on 327/300, automatic transmission equipped Chevy Impalas, but have yet been able to mine anything from that group either. You would think that they would be plentiful. Thanks for the suggestion. Any others?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You could buy the Chicago Corvettes piece and if you donít like it return it. They are pretty good about that at least.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
You could buy the Chicago Corvettes piece and if you donít like it return it. They are pretty good about that at least.
Frank he would be better off cutting out the middle man (Chicago Corvette) and just talk to there preferred rebuilders and see what they have in stock
Old 11-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Panama 58
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
Frank he would be better off cutting out the middle man (Chicago Corvette) and just talk to there preferred rebuilders and see what they have in stock
Can you tell me who they are? I have no problem doing that.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Panama 58
CF Senior Member

Anyone know anything about Carburetor Center in El Monte, CA?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Panama 58 View Post
Can you tell me who they are? I have no problem doing that.
one of them is Custom Rebuilt carbs in NJ. I think Eric Jackson is too

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: