C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie 4 spd rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by dogboy
A good friend that owns a 65 convertible & is having a problem with the Muncie 4 spd. It seems he had driven it low on oil as I noticed a leak at the rear case gasket, now it is unable to shift. Any tranny shops that are reputable either in West palm beach area or Orlando FL that knows these tranny's. He called a place ,Vic's transmission, & was told $1,200., unseen, for a rebuild & that with the tranny already out of car, He was also told that parts are hard to come by. I told him to pull out the tranny as the car is up on a lift in his storage facility. Any removal tips & known shops that are reputable would be appreciated
If you want to take a road trip to an extremely reputable shop, come up to Dunnellon, FL and go to C J Transmission.

http://cjstransmission.com/

I couple of years ago, I pulled the 67 Muncie wide ratio trans from my 56 Chevy... Took it to them. They had it apart in one day.. Called me with diagnosis #1, which was basic synchros, sliders, etc.

After they got into it, they called me again... The input shaft/4th gear was really banged up. They said that all of my gears were "borderline"... Told me that they could/would rebuild it with my original gears, or I could go with a new gear set.

I opted for option #2.

LONG story short, they replaced all of the gears... They had them in 1-2 days. I had my trans back within a week.

Cost was approximately $1000. which included ALL new gears.

IIRC, the new gear set was only $250--$300...

Labor cost would have been the same regardless.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:45 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The thing was low on fluid for Cripe’s sake. It doesn’t mean it’s grenaded. This guy should get it checked out before buying some unknown piece and maybe have worse problems.

Parts swapping without a proper diagnosis is foolhardy.
I agree - I would pull the thing and at least pull the cover to inspect it before junking it. If the case, side cover, mid-plate, tail housing and especially the output shaft are good, everything else is easily replaceable with new parts for not that much money.

Quick Reply: Muncie 4 spd rebuild advice