C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] FrankenVette

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:31 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default FrankenVette

This was suppose to be an over the weekend engine swap. The engine provided was to replace the stock 327 on this 64 convertible. What I found out is, the new engine the owner built came from a 65 Impala SS with automatic. When I pulled the old engine along with the tranny, I discovered the trans leaked at the seal at the shift linkage. So the owner decided to upgrade, not a problem I said. So he ordered the 5 speed and had it ship to my house, the he took the flywheel to get re-surface. it turned out it was an 11" flywheel from an early 350, trouble number one. When I attempted to install the clutch, the mount holes did not align, the clutch that came with the 5 speed kit was a 10.5" clutch. Trouble number two, so I called for a larger clutch. Finally mated the engine and trans together and installed them. Attempted to install the distributor, it does not want to mount flush on to the block, trouble number three.
Tried to mount the new starter provided, it did not want to go in the starter hole on the bell housing. So I tried the old starter from the old engine, it mounted with the diagonal mount holes vise the straight across like it was mounted when I removed it. It mounts but does not engage to rotate the engine. Here's where I am asking the experts out there. By the way I am doing this for a friend.
I am thinking, in order for this new engine to work with the new trans, I need to duplicate the 65 Impala set up as if it had a four speed tranny. which will force me to get the clutch for that car and the started for that and maybe a distributor for that car and all my troubles will go away. Can someone set me straight so I can finish this car and move to my own project? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts

Looks like you have a couple things going on (hard to say for sure without pictures)
#1 basically two different clutch diameters, 10.5 and 11 (for what your dealing with) Some flywheels are NOT drilled for both (you probably know that by now) BUT bellhousings can be a problem
#2 distributor not going all the way down is probably misalignment with the oil pump drive. If you have a long handle screwdriver you can turn the pump to align.
#3 Same as #2 starter is/must be matched to diameter of flywheel. The smaller one has mounting bolts straight across from each other, the 11 inch has starter mounting bolts staggered. No mix and match here, must be the correct one for the diameter of the flywheel.
NOW for one more I hope you noticed and corrected. You stated the engine came out of a car with an automatic, if you are now installing a manual trans did you remember to add a pilot bushing to the end of the crankshaft to support the trans input? I hope so or you have to come apart and put one in or more problems later.
Good Luck
Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette5311
Looks like you have a couple things going on (hard to say for sure without pictures)
#1 basically two different clutch diameters, 10.5 and 11 (for what your dealing with) Some flywheels are NOT drilled for both (you probably know that by now) BUT bellhousings can be a problem
#2 distributor not going all the way down is probably misalignment with the oil pump drive. If you have a long handle screwdriver you can turn the pump to align.
#3 Same as #2 starter is/must be matched to diameter of flywheel. The smaller one has mounting bolts straight across from each other, the 11 inch has starter mounting bolts staggered. No mix and match here, must be the correct one for the diameter of the flywheel.
NOW for one more I hope you noticed and corrected. You stated the engine came out of a car with an automatic, if you are now installing a manual trans did you remember to add a pilot bushing to the end of the crankshaft to support the trans input? I hope so or you have to come apart and put one in or more problems later.
Good Luck
Yes, I did install the pilot bushing, my trick to making sure I do that during a clutch replacement or upgrade; I put a "remove before flight" flag there so I am reminded.

After several discussion among other chevy guys in my area, the bell housing is my problem with the starter.

Yes, I made a tool specially for that trick to rotate the shaft to align the female end on the oil pump to the male end at the center of the distributor. It still does not mount flush even when properly engage to the oil pump shaft.
I am going to call American power train and see what they recommend in regards mating the 65 Impala engine with automatic to a 64 Bell housing. I am regretting to hear their answer. Meaning I will have to remove the trans and engine again. hence this so called weekend engine swap is becoming a pain in my back end. thank you for taking the time.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:45 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

number one, the block has no idea it came from an impala....if you are using the existing bell housing, flywheel, and starter from the 4 speed 327 that was removed from the 64 you should not be having a problem. sounds like you are dealing with mixed parts, and possibly not experienced with these older cars. but if the 4 speed was all in working order when removed, the same parts should work with the 65 block and 5 speed trans.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:08 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Blocks and transmissions, auto, manual, 3, 4 or 5 speed, are all the same as far as your issue.
There are two different flywheels both manual and automatic (flexplate), 153 tooth and 168 tooth, depending on the flywheel teeth you use one of two different starter noses, the basic starter is the same with different mounting nose for the two flywheels.
The bell housing "may" make difference if it gives you starter attachment issues, i will let more knowledgeable people deal with that, though i don't think there is a real diff in the bells, you use different front bell cover plate depending on the starter/flywheel tooth count.

Doug
Old 11-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Mike C#2
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

The Hitachi style mini-starters with the un-supported drive at the front will work with either flywheel diameter and either a block mount or bellhousing mount starter bellhousing. That should save you from having to get parts other than a newer starter. Been running one on my Jimmy for years that had a bellhousing mount starter.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:25 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Is the spline count on the input shaft of the new 5 speed the same as the Muncie? Be sure to make sure the clutch disc is compatible with the trans you are going to use! Good luck..........
Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

BTW, just rotate the motor by hand or with the starter and the distributor will drop into its seated position. Double check that the rotor is where you want it once seated.
Doug
Old 11-13-2018, 05:06 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Is the spline count on the input shaft of the new 5 speed the same as the Muncie? Be sure to make sure the clutch disc is compatible with the trans you are going to use! Good luck..........
No, they are not. Hence when the 5 speed was ordered I had American Power Train provide all the matching disc and clutch for the new trans. The only original per say from the old engine and 4 speed trans is the flywheel, that was identified as early 70's 350 11" flywheel. So I got the 11" clutch and pressure plate to match the new trans.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:08 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZDoug
BTW, just rotate the motor by hand or with the starter and the distributor will drop into its seated position. Double check that the rotor is where you want it once seated.
Doug
Thank you, I will do that as it is the easiest to do right now.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:10 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike C#2
The Hitachi style mini-starters with the un-supported drive at the front will work with either flywheel diameter and either a block mount or bellhousing mount starter bellhousing. That should save you from having to get parts other than a newer starter. Been running one on my Jimmy for years that had a bellhousing mount starter.
Would you by any chance have a part number of where I can get one. At this point I am willing to try anything before I pull the engine and trans out.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I just posted this a few days ago - the clutch and flywheel combinations used by Chevrolet in Corvettes in production from 1956-1981; BTW, the 5-speed trans will require a different spline-count clutch DISC than production, as the input shaft spline count is different.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
CORVETTE CLUTCH SIZING.docx (14.2 KB, 43 views)

Get notified of new replies

To FrankenVette

Quick Reply: [C2] FrankenVette