C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Press mold vs layup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi

QUOTE FROM Lotsofcubes
" I've never seen a SB car with a 65-66 BB hood."

I have had two of them. I had a 1965 365 h.p. car that came to me with a 65/66 BB hood and at the same time I had a 1966 SB car that I traded hoods with the 1965 365 car and ended up with the car above.
And indeed beautiful. First for me.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1Cerberus4u
Well, after some consideration.... I have a 65 BB hood on the red car and a stinger on the black car.... Can someone say just paint and swap?
Cool.... it will become meaner.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 364 Posts

I too fell in love then the 65-66 BB hood long ago. This summer I saw an ad for sidepipe covers, I immediately made arrangements to buy them. When I arrived, the guy asked if I wanted this hood he had too, they were both off of his 65 BB he bought new, and raced for years. He had changed the intakes/carbs, & modified the hood to make it fit with a taller rise, added a spine, and some odd indentations. Anyway I think its cheesy but I took it...

My plan is to add the correct BB side vents, I have already bought them, I will remove the spine & indentations, and to rework the top to more of a stock looking hood with a larger rise. It's pretty cheesy as it is, but I have a vision for it. I have made many molds, one off race boat parts, and i have done a ton of fiberglass work, so we will see how rusty I am some time in the future...

Old 11-13-2018, 02:51 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
I too fell in love then the 65-66 BB hood long ago. This summer I saw an ad for sidepipe covers, I immediately made arrangements to buy them. When I arrived, the guy asked if I wanted this hood he had too, they were both off of his 65 BB he bought new, and raced for years. He had changed the intakes/carbs, & modified the hood to make it fit with a taller rise, added a spine, and some odd indentations. Anyway I think its cheesy but I took it...

My plan is to add the correct BB side vents, I have already bought them, I will remove the spine & indentations, and to rework the top to more of a stock looking hood with a larger rise. It's pretty cheesy as it is, but I have a vision for it. I have made many molds, one off race boat parts, and i have done a ton of fiberglass work, so we will see how rusty I am some time in the future...

I think it looks kind of cool. I think I would leave it the way it is and be different from everybody else .
Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

That's what I'm thinking... pull both hoods, check for fit and once fit is good, paint, replace....
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok, hood issue is in the process, now we need to get to wheels.... Of which I kinda hijacked Mark's thread (Factoid) on his new wheels....

So schott has two wheels, Magnitude http://www.schottwheels.com/new-magn...nt-w-38817.htm (think Magnitude painted black) or Accelerator http://www.schottwheels.com/accelera...ed-w-11611.htm Mark says he digs the Accelerator.... I'm on the fence. Accelerator is a much more modern look, while the Magnitude is a bit more of an old school look.... Then again, if you have any ideas.....
Old 11-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68hemi

I think it looks kind of cool. I think I would leave it the way it is and be different from everybody else .
Mr. Jack would be so proud to have his logo in the presence of that fine machine.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365

This is the image I was referring to regarding Mr. Jack. As we call him in these parts.
The following users liked this post:
Rob_64-365 (11-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Press mold vs layup?