C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Do-it-yourself quartz clock replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:42 PM
pgiganti
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted the original message in this thread. I'm happy to say I've successfully installed a quartz movement in place of the frozen original '64 movement in my clock. I used both the written directions that came with the new movement and the video that was posted here. Using both I managed to get it right, though I found the written directions could really use a couple illustrations for clarity, and the video was only somewhat helpful because the guy's hands are in the way most of the time and the written advice with closeups flash by at lightning speed. If someone was to take the time, a better video or a few closeup views added to the present video would make the installation a snap.

After installing the movement successfully, more of a challenge was to get the hands of the clock "right." My clock had always read 6:30, and only when I took it apart did I realize that was because both hands were LOOSE on the stem (gravity gives you 6:30). My second hand was still tight, but I needed to crimp my minute hand to get it to grip the shaft. My hour hand was a mess at the stem and the hole was so big that "crimping" was out of the question. I had to find a suitable fiber washer, split it on one side, then super glue it on the back of my hour hand. That worked. While I was at it, I repainted the hour and minute hands Chevy orange.

The last real challenge was getting the hands all oriented correctly so that they didn't hit each other or the setting stem when rotating. That took a few tries. Cleaned the chrome and the lens to nice and shiny and put it back together. And last I crimped the four spots on the clock case using a small brass hammer (gently). The hands do sweep smoothly around with the quartz movement; no "ticking."

I work a fair amount with small parts and tools—though not clocks. All in all, I would give this about a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1–10 in difficulty.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:07 PM
pgiganti
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have since found a better video of the quartz movement replacement of the mechanical movement. It's MUCH better to instruct you how to do it yourself than the previous video suggested earlier in this thread.

You can view it here: https://www.clocksandgauges.com/quar...rsion-kit.html
Old 07-15-2021, 03:51 PM
Maryfromma63
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reconnecting the clock bezel to the clock.

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Frankie is correct, pretty much done the same way as the 68 and newer cars. You'll just have to count the teeth on the re-set pinion to determine black or red gears for the conversion. You'll also need to check the clutch to make sure it's not binding. Watch the video above, it's pretty easy.

Except... If you are replacing the lens... when you remove the bezel it's held in place by six rivets made into the bezel. So you separate this by using a tiny screw driver and pry the bezel off and if you are lucky you won't break all the rivets... if you do you'll need a new bezel.

The other thing is that you hold the reset shaft with set of pliers (over a rag) and then the **** itself screws off the shaft.

Willcox
My Bezel has come apart from the clock. It appears that all the rivets are intact. Is there a way to reattach without damaging the clock? It will snap back together but it comes apart again when I reinstall it in the car. If separates when you slide the clip in the back to secure it. Any ideas?
Old 07-16-2021, 01:43 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,330 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Maryfromma63
My Bezel has come apart from the clock. It appears that all the rivets are intact. Is there a way to reattach without damaging the clock? It will snap back together but it comes apart again when I reinstall it in the car. If separates when you slide the clip in the back to secure it. Any ideas?
After 3 years, probably time to start a new thread when asking a new question.
The following users liked this post:
Maryfromma63 (07-16-2021)

Quick Reply: [C2] Do-it-yourself quartz clock replacement advice