C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Where to get wide flares?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,516 Likes on 2,782 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default Where to get wide flares?

I’ve always avoided C2’s with flares, particularly the cutout look that I think cuts right into the beltline and doesn’t look right (imho). That said, the bulging flares are really growing on me and I’m considering selling a couple of cars and finding a project C2 that is already past the restoration possibility and building a widebody. Here are the current two that I really like, so my question is does anyone know the source for these bulging fender flares?

I don’t know who owns this one, but I love the overall look.

Brian Hobaugh’s badass ‘65 race car.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Don't know where you can source the flares, but both of those are definitely great looking cars.

I've always thought the look of these type of flares were incredible.

Looking forward to following your project when you get one.

Pat
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:06 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,515 Likes on 799 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Don't know where to get them just thought I would share
Factoid (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Thanks, Pat, I check in on your build thread every time I see an update. It’s really well done!

I was just looking at eBay and it occurred to me that it might be more economical to buy one of the cutout flared cars and replace those flares with the bulging ones. There are several in the low 30’s that seem overall complete. I’m going to get my two ready for sale while I look and target early next year. Stay tuned!
ptjsk (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by reno stallion

Don't know where to get them just thought I would share
Reno, that’s another beauty on my hit list! Thanks for posting and encouraging me to irritate the wife...again!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:26 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

My 66 race car in 1986. Flairs were called Thumpers I believe. Might do a search on CF for that word. If I remember correctly there were discussions before about purchasing these flairs but with little luck if they were still being made.
Factoid (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 771 Likes on 432 Posts

This link has some good info:

Bubble Flairs
Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

CORVETTE PACIFICA shows they have a couple variations.

https://www.corvettepacifica.com/cat...fenders//reset

This is a thread with more pictures and discussion:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...re-help-2.html
Old 11-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

jfreema12@yahoo.com he calls them Road Race Flares. He also has wide quarters.

Last edited by Saddletan; 11-17-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Factoid (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Saddletan, this is awesome! I spoke to Jeff and he’s making my flares as I write this and I should have them soon.

It’s extra awesome as they are exactly the style I was looking for. Here’s what I mean:

This is the coupe I bought. Notice the classic mid-year belt line that passes unbroken just above the rear wheel. I think this is one of the most distinctive and beautiful parts of the body style.

I found this picture of a ‘64 coupe and what I thing is the biggest issue that turns people off to flares. This flare corrupts the whole belt line and design of the car. In my opinion, it is horrible (I apologize if this car belongs to a forum brother, it’s just my opinion!) and looks tacked on with no regard for the beautiful lines of the design.

Brian’s design is far superior. Notice how it complements the belt line. While there is a slight lift just behind the rear wheel (I will address this on my build), the overall shape of the flare is significantly better and that is what I was looking for in my search.

Here is the flare Jeff builds. Yes, it is an extreme “bubble” style flare, but it respects the belt line and in my opinion is how it would have been designed if GM designed it. Of course if you install a flare like this one, you need to lower the car and inch or two and then reduce the diameter of the tire which are all in the plan (currently planned 315/30-18 is 25.5”)

I will finish the flares in my garage and need to make some slight modifications to the bottom edges to better blend into the body and then hope to be able to have a local painter blend the paint. More to come!
Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

so hurt you are dissing the Black car...... Sob, sniffle.....
Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Lol, buck up bucko your car is a real badass!
6T7L71CPE (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:29 AM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

8^)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
Saddletan, this is awesome! I spoke to Jeff and he’s making my flares as I write this and I should have them soon.

It’s extra awesome as they are exactly the style I was looking for. Here’s what I mean:

This is the coupe I bought. Notice the classic mid-year belt line that passes unbroken just above the rear wheel. I think this is one of the most distinctive and beautiful parts of the body style.

I found this picture of a ‘64 coupe and what I thing is the biggest issue that turns people off to flares. This flare corrupts the whole belt line and design of the car. In my opinion, it is horrible (I apologize if this car belongs to a forum brother, it’s just my opinion!) and looks tacked on with no regard for the beautiful lines of the design.

Brian’s design is far superior. Notice how it complements the belt line. While there is a slight lift just behind the rear wheel (I will address this on my build), the overall shape of the flare is significantly better and that is what I was looking for in my search.

Here is the flare Jeff builds. Yes, it is an extreme “bubble” style flare, but it respects the belt line and in my opinion is how it would have been designed if GM designed it. Of course if you install a flare like this one, you need to lower the car and inch or two and then reduce the diameter of the tire which are all in the plan (currently planned 315/30-18 is 25.5”)

I will finish the flares in my garage and need to make some slight modifications to the bottom edges to better blend into the body and then hope to be able to have a local painter blend the paint. More to come!
No "Bubble Flare", old style 2 1/2" Road Race Flare, or even two ways I've Body Flared 2 1/2" Fronts & Rears can complement a C2's original center Belt-Line.

Looking directly into side of Car, you can't see the C2 center Body-line extend across any Bubble Flare, as it break's Center Line as soon as flare starts.

I built to what I liked 1st try an what I liked better Belt-Line 2nd try wise at 2 1/2" flare. Looking directly into side of either car's Belt-Line, it looks almost stock on either one, but looking Front to Rear or Rear to Front the Belt-Line's change jumps out at you, although the 2nd try at it appears to be more like a stock C2's.

Car below is not mine. Is the body's center belt-line Stock, or Flared, if Flared how much?

My car flared 2 1/2"

You build to what you "LIKE", you don't have to justify "Look" to anyone else but yourself. So build it to "Justify" "Look" you want. No one else's opinion matters, except for you Wife's...LOL

BUBBLED FLARES WILL GET CAR A LOT OF ATTENTION, ESPECIALLY FROM THE YOUNGER CROWD!!!!

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-05-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comment removed
Factoid (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

IMHO be sure you have a rear tire with the height to fill the new wheel opening. The white car with flair and the red car both look bad because tire is short leaving big gaps all around the tire.
Factoid (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

I certainly agree with the no need to justify AND only the wife’s perspective really matters!

I believe the purpose of a forum is to share perspective and information. Sometimes you ask for help or input and sometimes you simply share your thoughts and projects. Both approaches are valuable. I hate Facebook for a whole variety of reasons, but mainly due to the ugliness, fake news, and divisiveness that it spawns. A moderated forum is far more effective as like minded individuals can share often very diverse perspectives effectively and people join due to their love of these iconic vehicles, not simply because they are related, went to high school together or are neighbors - fences make great neighbors!

Poorhouse, I love your car and how you approached the need for more tire and to your point, it is hard to tell how much flare is there. However, for my tastes they are not aggressive and in your face enough. I want the old school, road race look where there is no doubt about the flare or the intent and I’m not really concerned what others think, I just hope they respect the intent and perhaps add some tidbit of info to their arsenal of experience.

Last edited by Factoid; 12-03-2018 at 12:03 PM.
ptjsk (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RJ1
IMHO be sure you have a rear tire with the height to fill the new wheel opening. The white car with flair and the red car both look bad because tire is short leaving big gaps all around the tire.
RJ, I’m generally with you. It is easy to accomplish at the top of the wheel well and also why I will have ride height adjustability. The challenge is up front. The wider the tire, the more room you need fore and aft in the wheel well. I will do my best to balance the wheel well issue, but I fear the front may need more room and the rear has to strike a balance so the overall look is not off. Thanks for your post!

Get notified of new replies

To Where to get wide flares?

Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 619 Likes on 361 Posts

I like the widened look, front and rear, & I like it to follow the factory styling. Reno Stallion is a great execution. I also think an extension to the front with a splitter would look good as well. The gen 1 camaro air dam that many people add to their C2 just doesn't do the car justice.

Last edited by Rob_64-365; 12-03-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

To me, an I believe to you, it's the wheel-well opening look on Brian's car that complements the original wheel-well's stock look more so than C2 original Belt-Line, but from looking at rear flares you are buying, they drop the wheel-well opening down below the center belt-line, more like the look of stock wheel-well.

Doing that for me makes bubble flares look better than rounded wheel that follows the tires shape, but from a racing stand point round wheel-well makes it quicker and easier to change tires.

As for as using 26" tall tires, it's the rear wheel-well more so than fronts, that 26" tires look to small sitting in opening made for 27 3/4" dia tires at least for me.

Once you get the new Flares and tires mounted, you might try mocking up rear wheel-well opening using cardboard like that of a 24 can pack of Coke's to see if just adding 1.00" to front side of opening might help mitigate look smaller 26" vs 27 3/4" dia tires that came stock look better. Could look at changing rear's shape too, if necessary. Some times what I see with in my mind's eye, doesn't always work for me when we mocked it up...

Just a thought.
Factoid (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
To me, an I believe to you, it's the wheel-well opening look on Brian's car that complements the original wheel-well's stock look more so than C2 original Belt-Line, but from looking at rear flares you are buying, they drop the wheel-well opening down below the center belt-line, more like the look of stock wheel-well.

Doing that for me makes bubble flares look better than rounded wheel that follows the tires shape, but from a racing stand point round wheel-well makes it quicker and easier to change tires.

As for as using 26" tall tires, it's the rear wheel-well more so than fronts, that 26" tires look to small sitting in opening made for 27 3/4" dia tires at least for me.

Once you get the new Flares and tires mounted, you might try mocking up rear wheel-well opening using cardboard like that of a 24 can pack of Coke's to see if just adding 1.00" to front side of opening might help mitigate look smaller 26" vs 27 3/4" dia tires that came stock look better. Could look at changing rear's shape too, if necessary. Some times what I see with in my mind's eye, doesn't always work for me when we mocked it up...

Just a thought.
You’ve pretty much nailed the challenge. The way I discovered the best wheel/tire size and profile for my ‘64 convertible was doing as you describe. I also tried various ride heights trying to optimize both performance and aesthetics. Easier said than done! Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Where to get wide flares?