C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT Home Welders

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:56 PM
mexicruiser
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought welder is the machine and “weldor” is the guy using it? Anyway, I have a Cebora welding eqpmt, great but hard to get spares, Stick to the popular quality usa made brands.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:11 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Can to translate that into English? I don't see the OP wasting any time responding to those trying to help him. Does this topic keep returning to advertise some brand of welder? That I do wonder even if remotely possible.
Nope, you got me. I sometimes make mistakes in typing and "speech-to-text"....I see you, "can to".
Old 11-23-2018, 08:40 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Can to translate that into English? I don't see the OP wasting any time responding to those trying to help him. Does this topic keep returning to advertise some brand of welder? That I do wonder even if remotely possible.
I have been doing some research on many of the suggestions posted. I really appreciate the input. There is no substitute for experience.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by skids
Yes I know, it's all good though. But it's also a welding power supply. Really. As an instructor, I cannot label a power supply as a welder. It's not correct.
OK nuff said. It doesn't matter.
Happy Thanksgiving

Do you have to take medication for that! Lol
Old 11-23-2018, 02:49 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61

Do you have to take medication for that! Lol
actually only four in the morning and two at supper. Blue ones evidently aren't strong enough
I'm gonna fire up my welder now
Old 11-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

I used a stick welder for years before buying a 110 wire feed, I used a Lincoln 110 for a job and really liked it. Went to buy one and was talked into getting a Weldmark? They said it was a repainted Lincoln sold as their second line. It never performed well. I never liked it.
The Lincoln could lay a nice even bead down with no effort and little experience. The other machine had erratic wire feed making that job nearly impossible.
I bought a Millermatic 211 with argon gas and inverter technology two years ago.
It runs on 110 or 220. It works so well it allows me to look pretty good. It was a big step up from the 110 on price but it really does a nice job and allowed me to give away the Weldmark and sell my old 220 buzz box stick welder.
With inverter technology the old Buzz Box sits quiet at all times till you pull the trigger. With Argon gas while working in a non windy situation you get clean zero splatter welds.
I don't miss chipping off the slag and cleaning up the mess from my old machines.
My son keeps telling me I need to upgrade to Tig but I am totally happy with this Mig set up.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:25 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
I have been doing some research on many of the suggestions posted. I really appreciate the input. There is no substitute for experience.
I get the impression bird watching would be a good hobby for you.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:46 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I get the impression bird watching would be a good hobby for you.
WTF are you talking about.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:50 AM
SubVette599
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I rarely comment in a thread unless I have something positive to contribute to the original topic. I'm going to make an exception in this case. First, as others have observed elsewhere on many occasions, why does anyone post a complaint about a poster raising questions on topics previously addressed being a waste of their time when they are wasting their own time in making such a response?. Why even open the thread in the first place? Second, no matter how many threads have occurred on a subject, there is always the possibility of newer information or folks who didn't see the prior threads having something valuable to provide. If this was Off Topic, I wouldn't feel these complaints are out of place. In a forum such as this one, these complaints are truly a waste of everyone's time.
The following 5 users liked this post by SubVette599:
Factoid (11-24-2018), Hermn59 (11-24-2018), jim lockwood (11-24-2018), LateOutDrsMn (11-24-2018), woodsdesign (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:28 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Subvette- I agree completely.

To the OP, I have at the age of 38 just about finished a semester of welding at the community college on stick MiG and tig including some destructive testing and also dialing down to 22 ga sheet. The shop is full of new Lincoln stuff which is as nice as you’d expect.

However, if you dig deeply into reviews of the harbor freight VULCAN line of welders I cannot find a flaw in them- I don’t mean the HF cheap stuff these are still expensive machines just not as expensive as the big 3 Lincoln/Miller/Hobart.

The reviews are not just hobbyist reviews either- just something to consider if price is a factor. I have a 110/220 MiG from them with auto settings and manual override.

I am very pleased so far and confident in the purchase.
The following users liked this post:
woodsdesign (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 781 Likes on 534 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

FWIW, I have a big Lincoln TIG welder that I bought new 22 yrs ago. It has performed flawlessly ever since and it runs almost every day. I also have a small portable Lincoln MIG welder that does a nice job. However I recently needed a portable TIG machine and borrowed an Eastwood inverter type. It does a surprisingly good job and they are cheap ! I used it to put a Chromoly roll cage in my C-3 and it laid down some nice beads with good penetration even though I had to turn it up pretty high to do so. You do need a bottle of Argon to go with it. You might want to look into it. I feel TIG welding is best for thin metal welding because of the great control it gives you.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:52 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SubVette599
I rarely comment in a thread unless I have something positive to contribute to the original topic. I'm going to make an exception in this case. First, as others have observed elsewhere on many occasions, why does anyone post a complaint about a poster raising questions on topics previously addressed being a waste of their time when they are wasting their own time in making such a response?. Why even open the thread in the first place? Second, no matter how many threads have occurred on a subject, there is always the possibility of newer information or folks who didn't see the prior threads having something valuable to provide. If this was Off Topic, I wouldn't feel these complaints are out of place. In a forum such as this one, these complaints are truly a waste of everyone's time.

Well I have to disagree while not really wanting to flame you. I think if someone is posting deadbeat posts we should feel free to say something. Deadbeat I mean same recurring topic and no participation. Like "which crate motor" or "what order do I bleed my brakes". Another one that's sure to create a brawl of words is "my ammeter" way off" also how ''bout "how do I fix my temperature gauge reading". My big grivance is when the OP really doesn't participate and everyone's effort solves nothing. Many times creating a riot.

So if I feel it's another deadbeat post I will say something. That is if I bother to look. But I have to say many times the OP is sincere and you can recognize this pretty easily with his responses.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:58 PM
SubVette599
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you card0! You do the same!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:14 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

For any who do not know this, there is a feature on the Control Panel (CP) for each member called "Edit Ignore List". This allows you to list the name of any forum member whose posts you would rather not see. I added one name to my list many years ago. It's hard to get irritated by a post when you don't see it. And I find life too short to waste time fretting over some stranger whose words I don't like.
Hermn59 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:24 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
For any who do not know this, there is a feature on the Control Panel (CP) for each member called "Edit Ignore List". This allows you to list the name of any forum member whose posts you would rather not see. I added one name to my list many years ago. It's hard to get irritated by a post when you don't see it. And I find life too short to waste time fretting over some stranger whose words I don't like.
Thank you, I did not know that feature was available. I used it, and now the thread shows only useful replies.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:34 PM
LRI-Chad
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I weld quite a bit. I own a gun company and we are often using a TIG for really small stuff. I just recently bought a wire feed. Personally, I like TIG welding a whole lot more. A lot more control and no splattering blast radius of molten shrapnel to deal with.

That said, the wire feed I got is a MillerMatic 211. It's not a 110 machine, but I think with welders you get exactly what you pay for and this does a pretty nice job of stuff. The cart isn't huge so its not too big of a footprint in the garage either which is always nice. Might be one of those instances where its worth crying once.

I see similar discussions often when colleagues are wanting to move into the world of cnc equipment. They talk themselves into buying a small footprint machine to save on costs, then regret it soon after because the work envelope is too small for a job. A welder will fall into this as well as its one of those tools that you wonder how you survived without it. Something will pop up where amperage becomes your best friend...

Good luck.

Last edited by LRI-Chad; 11-24-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:07 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Well I have to disagree while not really wanting to flame you. I think if someone is posting deadbeat posts we should feel free to say something. Deadbeat I mean same recurring topic and no participation. Like "which crate motor" or "what order do I bleed my brakes". Another one that's sure to create a brawl of words is "my ammeter" way off" also how ''bout "how do I fix my temperature gauge reading". My big grivance is when the OP really doesn't participate and everyone's effort solves nothing. Many times creating a riot.

So if I feel it's another deadbeat post I will say something. That is if I bother to look. But I have to say many times the OP is sincere and you can recognize this pretty easily with his responses.

Have a nice day.
Man, did you forget to take your medication again? Lighten up dude .

Last edited by mike coletta; 11-24-2018 at 05:08 PM.
vjjack04 (11-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To OT Home Welders

Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,523 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Some people posting on this thread are like novice welders.

Not much penetration, lots of spatter, and too much gas.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Or a bird watcher trying to see eggs hatch while sitting at his computer - all he gonna get are re-run video.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:07 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

I have a Millermatic 211 also. It offers 110 or 220 with a quick change plug connection. LR1 you might take another look at your machine. BTW, I have used it on both 110 and 220, it worked equally well on both voltages although I did not try and weld 1/4 plate with 110, it was smaller material. Takes all of 30 seconds to switch voltage.

Quick Reply: OT Home Welders