C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT Home Welders

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 AM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

I picked up a big red Lincoln 225 TIG / stick unit and (separately) a Power MIG 180C.

Love the 225. The 180C had issues out of the box.

When it was delivered, the cardboard box was in excellent shape. After unpacking everything I noticed that the top cover is askew. Where the wire goes in, the front panel and the side door rub it's so close. On the other side, there is at least a 0.5" gap.

This was a brand spanking new unit.

I was able to contact the vendor. They said to contact Lincoln. Talking to Lincoln, they asked a bunch of questions and then referred me to a local repair shop.

The local guys do not sell welding equipment -- they are just a repair house. They took it in and did the fix. It needed to be completely stripped down and the case realigned. They found a bad crimp and found that it was mis-wired as well.

I'm rather surprised that Lincoln let this out of their factory. Clearly the tape on the box had not been tampered with and looked to be factory, so I can't say that someone tweaked it. The shipping box was not damaged either.

In any event, its back from the shop, ready to do some welding. It just cost me some time.

Be aware that, though Home Depot, etc. sell the 180HD and other variants, which are apparently different. The 180C has a cast aluminum (v.s. plastic) drive roll, Max Track wire guide and continuous voltage. For more info, see:

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...8-180C-vs-180T

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)

FWIW...

-- Joe
Old 11-25-2018, 11:15 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Well I have to disagree while not really wanting to flame you. I think if someone is posting deadbeat posts we should feel free to say something. Deadbeat I mean same recurring topic and no participation. Like "which crate motor" or "what order do I bleed my brakes". Another one that's sure to create a brawl of words is "my ammeter" way off" also how ''bout "how do I fix my temperature gauge reading". My big grivance is when the OP really doesn't participate and everyone's effort solves nothing. Many times creating a riot.

So if I feel it's another deadbeat post I will say something. That is if I bother to look. But I have to say many times the OP is sincere and you can recognize this pretty easily with his responses.

Have a nice day.
Dude,
I didn't mean to stir things up by starting a "dead beat" thread. I didn't realize that it had been discussed that many times before. The truth is that I know absolutely nothing about welding so I never bothered to read any threads. I really don't even know enough to make an intelligent comment so I just went into a monitoring mode.
I am guilty of not doing a search on the topic. I probably should use this feature more often.
Additionally, I also didn't realize how complicated welding is. I thought there would be a few suggestions for me to research and make a decision.
The only comment I will make on "dead beat" threads is that most of us have been a member of this forum for a long time so many topics resurface on a regular basis. I look at this forum every day and I routinely skip over topics that are old news to me. But, sometimes I chime in if I think I may be able to help somebody who is new to the topic.
Your point is well taken but my suggestion is to simply skip the threads that you feel are redundant. JMO
The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:02 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Or a bird watcher trying to see eggs hatch while sitting at his computer - all he gonna get are re-run video.
My last comment to this brother....funny?

Old 11-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,543 Likes on 2,794 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Funny

Quick Reply: OT Home Welders