C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Door Fitting on the '63.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Darn......nothing seems to want to cooperate.

Trying to get the doors to fit is pretty crazy. For some reason, I can't get them to come up to proper height, and it looks like I'll have to shim quite a few shims just to get them to come out towards the surface of the body.

I sure can't believe that opening up the hinge holes would be necessary, but I'm running out of options!

I do have a well informed friend coming over tomorrow. I will attempt to have him show me that there must be another way to get the doors up to proper height (absent opening up the hinge plates.

Pat
I don't have time to read through 3 pages of replies, and maybe this has already been mentioned, but I'm guessing the door hinge rivets. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you have resolved your problem, but if not, message me or look at my 63 split window rebuild thread.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-10-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:40 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Yea, I think you guy's are right. I need to open the gaps a bit more. I definitely don't want them too tight, especially after paint has been applied.

Thanks,

Pat
And don't forget to bevel the edges. It helps protect against chips and panels hitting each other. And non-uniform edges can really bug you after the paint is on. I could have done a little better on my Corvette but I made sure they were perfect and uniformly beveled (eased - rounded - what ever term is preferred) on my Cobra and it shows up as attention to detail.

Quick Reply: Door Fitting on the '63.