C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 coupe - How to install tag light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:16 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
John's set up is what we see on correctly configured mid-year cars.

(was there any doubt?)
No doubt by those that know what they're talking about.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck Gongloff (12-04-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I was quoting the JG for Chuck's benefit as you never know with a 63 vs later midyears...
You also never quite know about the accuracy of the 63/64 JG for that matter...
My screws took a 1 pt hit as NTP in regional judging - I never said they were correct....

This is what LICS shows as part #5-30...

There are a lot of minor things on my car not correct, which is why its a lowly 93% Second Flight...it is inconsequential to me at this point as I am making things more incorrect with each passing day...

Someday when I'm bored, I'll go to Ace Hardware and find original screws

Santa may bring me a Detroit Speed headlight motor conversion.
Merry Christmas to all and Good Will to Men on Earth.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-05-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I was quoting the JG for Chuck's benefit as you never know with a 63 vs later midyears...
You also never quite know about the accuracy of the 63/64 JG for that matter...
My screws took a 1 pt hit as NTP in regional judging - I never said they were correct....

This is what LICS shows as part #5-30...

There are a lot of minor things on my car not correct, which is why its a lowly 93% Second Flight...it is inconsequential to me at this point as I am making things more incorrect with each passing day...

Someday when I'm bored, I'll go to Ace Hardware and find original screws

Santa may bring me a Detroit Speed headlight motor conversion.
Merry Christmas to all and Good Will to Men on Earth.

The reason that I asked.... is that I have the larger screws on my 63. They never quite looked right. I noticed the "smaller' ones in JohnZ's photo. I've seen a hodge-podge of screw head sizes used in midyears.

I have to remove the rear valence sometime...to remove my exhaust bezels to have them rewelded... and do a few other small jobs.

That would be the perfect time to swap out the screws, and yes, I'm sure that ACE Hardware could provide them.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
The reason that I asked.... is that I have the larger screws on my 63. They never quite looked right. I noticed the "smaller' ones in JohnZ's photo. I've seen a hodge-podge of screw head sizes used in midyears.

I have to remove the rear valence sometime...to remove my exhaust bezels to have them rewelded... and do a few other small jobs.

That would be the perfect time to swap out the screws, and yes, I'm sure that ACE Hardware could provide them.
I'm not 100% convinced that what we have is incorrect Chuck; I'd like to see Rich Yanulis post a pic of his survivor 63 bezel for grins...

The larger screws look off a bit, true - but then so does the whole ill-fitting rear valence for 63 !!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-05-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not 100% convinced that what we have is incorrect Chuck; I'd like to see Rich Yanulis post a pic of his survivor 63 bezel for grins...

The larger screws look off a bit, true - but then so does the whole ill-fitting rear valence for 63 !!
Nor am I convinced. Just got back from a buddy's house here in Pine Ridge. He has a Duntov 63 coupe and a survivor 64 coupe... parked next to each other. Both cars have the larger flat head recessed Phillips screws...

I had my 63 judged at Howey In The Hills last month. First time judged in 12 years. Last time was 2006 at a Mason Dixon or Mid Atlantic meet back in Maryland...

Nothing was said about my screws.. Scored at 97.9 raw score, which I was pleased with... I drove 71 miles there, so adding the 0.7 "driven" points, I scored a 98.6... but I never count mileage points...
Old 12-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Sorry I missed Howie this year Chuck - maybe I would have got to judge your car!
You deserve the score - your 63 is gorgeous....as to "correctness"...I've had the forum 'experts' comment that my gaps are bad, the job number on my splash pan is a "recreation" and now I'm screwy about screws..... Its a hoot....

Now go get your Top Flight at the Regional and once that's behind you we can install Vintage Air in the car
Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry I missed Howie this year Chuck - maybe I would have got to judge your car!
You deserve the score - your 63 is gorgeous....as to "correctness"...I've had the forum 'experts' comment that my gaps are bad, the job number on my splash pan is a "recreation" and now I'm screwy about screws..... Its a hoot....

Now go get your Top Flight at the Regional and once that's behind you we can install Vintage Air in the car
No VA and no Regional for me this year. I'm gonna be a "worker bee" at the Regional, so no time to have a car judged. Everything's new this year, a new time, a newish event combined with Carlisle, lots of changes. I promised I would be a gopher..a helper...a fire "putter-outer".... so I'll be busy from Wednesday through Saturday.

My exhaust bezels are split... like many. The welds have let go, and they need to be redone. There's a guy in Palm Coast and another guy in Bunnell that can do it, and do a great job. Both come to the Sumter Swap Meet every month... I could drop 'em off... pick 'em up the following month. I need to pull the valance to do that, so................... if I need to do other picky things...like the license light, that's the time to do it. I certainly wouldn't pull the valance to change a few screws.

My biggest "point hit" at Howey was a 25 pointer... as my windshield washers decided to quit on me. They worked fine on Thursday... and refused to squirt on Saturday. Go figure? I'll get them working again.

Might do the Regional next year, 2020...

Quick Reply: 64 coupe - How to install tag light assembly