C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

advanced brake system help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Yes, the way that works is the valve slides back and forth to activate the warning light. Normally, the sensor is open as the pin rides in the groove, only activating when the valve slides one way or the other. If the o-rings wear out or the valve hangs up, air and fluid leaks across the circuit causing your problem.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

The other option is to put a tee in the front lines and go directly to the MC and a manual proportioning valve for adjusting rear bias (really just allows full pressure to the rear or attenuates the pressure based on how much you adjust it. This may be the better solution as you can fine tune your brake bias. Depends on how much originality you want to maintain.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:24 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
Yes, the way that works is the valve slides back and forth to activate the warning light. Normally, the sensor is open as the pin rides in the groove, only activating when the valve slides one way or the other. If the o-rings wear out or the valve hangs up, air and fluid leaks across the circuit causing your problem.

you can get a plug that installs in place of the pressure switch which locks the pressure valve in place while bleeding .
I tap on the calipers with a nylon head hammer which helps move air pockets
Old 12-02-2018, 09:23 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Don't over-think this. The '67 brake system doesn't need to be redesigned or re-engineered - it's about as simple as a brake system can be. All it needs are correct parts and a Motive Pressure Bleeder. It takes less time to bleed the system with a Motive Pressure Bleeder than it does to remove the wheels.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 AM
jkg2101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have and used the Motive bleeder device. over and over again with this car

i appreciate all the advice, but i have tried all of the usual, and not so usual stuff

i was hoping i could tell from a measurement of brake line pressure whether there was still air in the system, or something else. with caliper pressures of 500-700 psi, i am not sure if that has helped me out. i wish i knew what normal manual brake pressure is, in this system, from someone else who has been through similar processes

justin
Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 AM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Did you fool around with the bleeders on the bottom of the calipers? Rebleed again but leave the bottom bleed screws alone.

Last edited by skids; 12-03-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:37 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jkg2101

i was hoping i could tell from a measurement of brake line pressure whether there was still air in the system, or something else. with caliper pressures of 500-700 psi, i am not sure if that has helped me out. i wish i knew what normal manual brake pressure is, in this system, from someone else who has been through similar processes

justin
The line pressures you are seeing are more than adequate to operate the brakes. The test for air in the system is simply whether or not the pedal is spongy.

Are you sure the Wilwood calipers have the same piston size as stock C2 calipers? If the piston is smaller by any amount, front braking effort will be reduced.

Are you sure the master cylinder has the correct size piston? If the piston is larger than original by any amount, all braking effort will be reduced.

What brake pads are you using? If the coefficient of friction of the pad material is too low, all braking effort will be reduced. If the pads have to warm up before they will bite, initial braking effort will be low.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Is there a chance you installed the calipers upside down? The brake line needs to be on the bottom.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:53 PM
jkg2101
Racer

calipers are stock size pistons, and master cylinder is the stock repro item, so i assume it is stock size. spongy pedal is the problem!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:33 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

calipers are stock size pistons, and master cylinder is the stock repro item, so i assume it is stock size. spongy pedal is the problem!
So, despite your best efforts, there is still air in the system.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:04 PM
jkg2101
Racer

i took the system apart again - the distribution valve was open at both ends normally -
i re-bled everything and it feels exactly the same - spongy pedal with long travel. it feels like the master cylinder bore is too small - maybe a 7/8" bore when I need a 1". i have a exact repro unit - i wonder if this thing was machined with too small of a bore? probably not.

seem to be out of ideas. i know everyone has suggested there might be air in the system, but i used a motive power bleeder each time. i am pretty sure right now there is no air in the system. i am using wilwood calipers, but they say they come with piston sizes that are identical to stock, and the instructions call for stock master cylinder...
Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 PM
jkg2101
Racer

i'm going to take it out and try to bed in the new pads. maybe it just needs some use and I will report back. I will not drive it on public busy roads so dont worry, you are all safe!
i'll let you know since i am sure many are waiting for the final word on this (just kidding)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 PM
rnixon
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If everything was sized correctly, and everything appears to be operating properly, rotors not glazed, pads not hard ceramic, and I was sure there was no air in the system, I might take a look at the brake hoses.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:47 AM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

it feels like the master cylinder bore is too small - maybe a 7/8" bore when I need a 1". i have a exact repro unit - i wonder if this thing was machined with too small of a bore? probably not.
It's easy to measure the M/C bore. Just unbolt the M/C, pull it forward, remove the rubber boot if there is one present, and measure the bore. The bore is the same diameter from end to end, so whatever you measure at the back of the cylinder will be your bore size.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 12-10-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

If you use too much pressure in the Motive system I believe you can introduce air into the system because of tiny air bubbles that mix in the brake fluid. I would think less than 10 PSI would be plenty to move the fluid quickly.
If you let it sit overnight those tiny bubbles will be come big bubbles that you can bleed.
An old friend of mine inherited a 1966 Corvette, it had one bad caliper when he picked up the car. He replaced that caliper and like you fought to get air out of it.
He tried many times to bleed the system. A friend of his told him to gravity bleed the system after letting the car sit 24 hours for the air to gather into large bubbles.
He did the gravity bleed and it has been just fine ever since and he tells me the stock 66 brakes work great and he has no desire to add power brakes.
If you added performance friction to your car it will take more heat to get them to start working. More heat means more pedal pressure to get the brake pads to start working.
Performance brakes work very well at the race track but not so well around town or on gentle stops.
Your issue is soft pedal so it does sound like you have trapped air somewhere in that system.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:51 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Can you post a photo of the calipers as installed?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

I believe you need to unbolt the rear calipers and hold them vertical to bleed them, however it doesn’t sound like the rears are your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To advanced brake system help please

Old 12-10-2018, 04:32 PM
jkg2101
Racer

its funny because the rear calipers are almost horizontal, so i did unbolt them to bleed them, although the piston bores are small in the rear, so I am not sure that is really needed

the wheels are back on, but i bet i can post some pics later on from my computer. the wilwood calipers look mostly just like the stock ones - they mount in same spots but use braided stainless hoses, so less of a concern for a hose to collapse.

i am looking forward to driving it and trying to bed the pads. i feel the pedal is just a little harder now than before my last go around with bleeding maybe. i have done all this on many cars, and i suspect everything is OK but maybe these wilwood street pads just need a little break in?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:42 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)

... i feel the pedal is just a little harder now than before my last go around with bleeding maybe. i have done all this on many cars, and i suspect everything is OK but maybe these wilwood street pads just need a little break in?
I think they need more bleeding based on what you report. Most here have suspected and continue to suspect air. Spongy pedal is air, or maybe bad rubber lines, but probably air. Hate to say it, I know you want to go riding. I would bleed and bleed, wait, bleed some more until that pedal feels right. It CANNOT be spongy.

Dan

Old 12-11-2018, 05:36 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Do your rear calipers have two bleed screws like the stock corvette calipers? If so, both need to be bled to get a firm pedal.

Quick Reply: advanced brake system help please