C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Proving COPO authenticity???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:14 PM
raosterkamp
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Proving COPO authenticity???

Would an informed member confirm: IF a car is a TRUE COPO,should it ALSO have the Protecto-Plate?
There is a 66 nassau blue,red interior,white soft top being advertised by a well-known dealer in Ohio as : a COPO (one of only one).
Is this a legitimate car? I like the color combo,but dont want to pay thousands of dollars for a car that might NOT be worth all that much more (OR ,even less) than a comparable car with a protecto-plate!
Thanks in advance,Rick

Popular Reply

12-03-2018, 09:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi

I did not PM John Z. I prefer to wait for him to respond to the thread at HIS convenience so that all the members involved in this thread can see the answer.
I think this subject has probably been adequately beaten to death already, with plenty of info and references describing what a COPO is and what it's NOT. If Engineering work was required and it wasn't already a released RPO, it required a COPO, and that COPO number was assigned by the Sales Department if approved; the COPO number and notation also appeared on the tank sticker (Corvette Order Copy). Interior/Exterior color/trim combinations that Styling didn't like didn't show up on the ordering information, but a Trim Override could get it built if the Zone Office approved the override - didn't need any Engineering work or a COPO, as the parts were already in the plant and being used for other approved trim combinations.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

no such thing as a COPO. 99.99% of COPO were taxis and fleet cars and trucks. what you have is just a "Trim Override" by the central office. if the parts and or paint was already at the plant for a RPO then its not a COPO
The following users liked this post:
raosterkamp (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

There were several cars built under COPO over the years. (central office production order) This could have been as minor as a color combination that wasn't regular production or some major modification for a GM exec. One that comes to mind is the pink 69 Z28 Camaro that Clem bought new. I've seen a lot of COPO cars over the years.

The ZL1/427 69 Camaros in 1969 were COPO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Critter1:
mikelj (12-02-2018), raosterkamp (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by raosterkamp
Would an informed member confirm: IF a car is a TRUE COPO,should it ALSO have the Protecto-Plate?
There is a 66 nassau blue,red interior,white soft top being advertised by a well-known dealer in Ohio as : a COPO (one of only one).
Is this a legitimate car? I like the color combo,but dont want to pay thousands of dollars for a car that might NOT be worth all that much more (OR ,even less) than a comparable car with a protecto-plate!
Thanks in advance,Rick
As stated here many, many, many times previously, ,Chevrolet maintained no records of the individual options on any particular mid-year Corvette. (or somebody tossed them out long ago), Given the amount of fake documentation floating around these days, I doubt you can be sure any car is real without carbon-dated verifiable period photos and a certification from the still-living original owner and his 118-year-old salesman.. Good luck

Mike
raosterkamp (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

a trim override of non standard color combo suggested would be verified by the trim tag and the POP would reflect that.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:53 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
no such thing as a COPO. 99.99% of COPO were taxis and fleet cars and trucks. what you have is just a "Trim Override" by the central office. if the parts and or paint was already at the plant for a RPO then its not a COPO
Not true. There are a lot of COPO cars that were built for many reason that people are not aware of that actually are. That does not necessarily add any value to the car. It was simply the way GM handled things that were not necessarily RPO items.
raosterkamp (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 PM
raosterkamp
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

So to confirm my hunch: I would be wiser to purchase a car with the protecto-plate,2 regional top-flights,supposed original bill of sale? A 65 convertible, 365 hp,all options except factory air and original knock-offs for the same money($98,000 versus $99,000 for the red,white and blue car "COPO car" ??
Thanks again,this forum is a WEALTH of information for guys like me who LOVE the styling of the C2,but have very limited "hands-on experience" trying to make an INFORMED decision,instead of just letting my emotions throw me over the cliff of disaster!!
Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Not true. There are a lot of COPO cars that were built for many reason that people are not aware of that actually are. That does not necessarily add any value to the car. It was simply the way GM handled things that were not necessarily RPO items.
re read what I wrote. if the parts or paint were at the pant for a standard RPO then no COPO required. if GM engineering had to draw up something then it was a COPO. the COPO Camaros where only for that because of the H/D U-joints that where not used for 396 cars. GM was not in the custom car business of building one off cars.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM
68hemi
Race Director

So to confirm my hunch: I would be wiser to purchase a car with the protecto-plate,2 regional top-flights,supposed original bill of sale? A 65 convertible, 365 hp,all options except factory air and original knock-offs for the same money($98,000 versus $99,000 for the red,white and blue car "COPO car" ??
Thanks again,this forum is a WEALTH of information for guys like me who LOVE the styling of the C2,but have very limited "hands-on experience" trying to make an INFORMED decision,instead of just letting my emotions throw me over the cliff of disaster!!

not enough information about The two cars to make a comparison to comment on the value of each. It would take a lot of pictures and information about each car in order to do that and then you will still get quite a spread Of opinions as to the values.

Last edited by 68hemi; 12-02-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

if the TF was in the last five years and you can confirm all the gingerbread items are still on the car I would place value on that.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:23 PM
68hemi
Race Director

re read what I wrote. if the parts or paint were at the pant for a standard RPO then no COPO required. if GM engineering had to draw up something then it was a COPO. the COPO Camaros where only for that because of the H/D U-joints that where not used for 396 cars. GM was not in the custom car business of building one off cars.
I did not sell Chevrolets new back in that time period but I did sell Dodges and AMCs from 1968-1974 and know how it worked for special non RPO items.

here is an example I had a customer that wanted a 1971 dodge coronet 4 door painted plum crazy. That color was an optional color for the hypo cars but not available on four door cars. I called my factory sales rep for assistance. He said it could be done but Would require extra lead time for the car to arrive. This meant that the order was not routed through normal channels as would be the case for a like type Chevy order and I suspect would be a COPO order. It had nothing to do with the availability of material on hand at the assembly plant.

I would like to hear from veteran GM employees like John Z on this subject.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would like to hear from veteran GM employees like John Z on this subject.
do some advance searches of JohnZ with COPO in the subject line. since we all know I wasn't there with everyone else on here expect him and one or two others I can recall reading that

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 12-02-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

DeLorean?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
DeLorean?
he was running Pontiac at the time
Old 12-02-2018, 05:00 PM
68hemi
Race Director

do some advance searches of JohnZ with COPO in the subject line. since we all know I wasn't there with everyone else on here expect him and one or two others I can recall reading that
I never have any luck using search features (likely a personal problem for me) and have better luck using Google that then directs me to forum threads. Not in this case.

I did not PM John Z. I prefer to wait for him to respond to the thread at HIS convenience so that all the members involved in this thread can see the answer.

Last edited by 68hemi; 12-02-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I'll Help
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nations-2.html post 39
That didn't require a COPO - just a trim override on the order form; all the red interior parts were already in the plant for use with black, red, and white exterior
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...experts-2.html

http://www.camaros.org/model.shtml#COPO
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I think this subject has probably been adequately beaten to death already, with plenty of info and references describing what a COPO is and what it's NOT. If Engineering work was required and it wasn't already a released RPO, it required a COPO, and that COPO number was assigned by the Sales Department if approved; the COPO number and notation also appeared on the tank sticker (Corvette Order Copy). Interior/Exterior color/trim combinations that Styling didn't like didn't show up on the ordering information, but a Trim Override could get it built if the Zone Office approved the override - didn't need any Engineering work or a COPO, as the parts were already in the plant and being used for other approved trim combinations.

The following 6 users liked this post by JohnZ:
Brian VH McHale (12-04-2018), Dr L-88 (12-04-2018), MarkC (12-05-2018), Nowhere Man (12-03-2018), raosterkamp (12-04-2018), ricks327 (12-03-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Get notified of new replies

To Proving COPO authenticity???

Old 12-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ

Thanks John. That's basically the way I remember it too. If a production change did not require parts or material from another car line or outside source, it would not require a COPO order. An example would be a Corvette being assembled using standard Corvette body and interior colors even though a particular combination of those colors wasn't available. No outside material was required.
However, if a car is to be painted a non Corvette color or trim color, or some other non production modification, it would require the COPO. Clems pink 65 Corvette is an example. No pink paint would have been at the St Louis assembly plant so it was much more involved than just grabbing a spray gun with a Corvette color. .
Many of the Show Job cars that were modified were COPO's were completed in the Show Job area of the St Louis plant or back in Michigan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Critter1:
Brian VH McHale (12-04-2018), Dr L-88 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:17 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

COPO or not is moot. The question is really... is the car original and does the oddity of red interior on a Nassau blue car warrant extra money? IMO the car in question had a HIGH dollar resto and it could have been fabricated into whatever at that time. I'm not a fan of the alignment on the trim tag next to the style but it looks really legit.

Really it comes down to what you like and if you think it is worth the money. I had an extremely odd 66... Ermine White with Green interior. Chevy allowed the color but they probably only built a handful. Mine was legit, and when it was restored it wasn't turned into a highly optioned car like many are (i.e. manual steering, brakes, windows, etc.). It had original glass even. But does all that originality and oddness mean more value? How many guys out there are dreaming of a white car with green interior? none. Just like how many guys are dreaming of a blue car with red interior? it's cool but someone's gotta love it. I've been dreaming of a nassau blue with white interior for decades.... I love the 96 Grand sport... but even I am having a hard time seeing extra value in this red interior car.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:39 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
Thanks John. That's basically the way I remember it too. If a production change did not require parts or material from another car line or outside source, it would not require a COPO order. An example would be a Corvette being assembled using standard Corvette body and interior colors even though a particular combination of those colors wasn't available. No outside material was required.
However, if a car is to be painted a non Corvette color or trim color, or some other non production modification, it would require the COPO. Clems pink 65 Corvette is an example. No pink paint would have been at the St Louis assembly plant so it was much more involved than just grabbing a spray gun with a Corvette color. .
Many of the Show Job cars that were modified were COPO's were completed in the Show Job area of the St Louis plant or back in Michigan.
I think that is supposed to be Clem's pink 69 Z/28, which was painted a 65 Impala color (Evening Orchid)

Quick Reply: Proving COPO authenticity???