C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Leaking '67 fuel pump, now gas in my oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Leaking '67 fuel pump, now gas in my oil?

Hi,
I haven't been on the forum for a while, life, work and travel...
So while away on one of my recent business trips, the wife calls to say the house smells of gasoline, this type of thing of course invariably only ever happens when I'm somewhere on the other side of the planet...
It probably had been a month since I had last driven it, when I got home I traced the leak to the air hole above the diaphragm, the pump is lower than the tank so it was dripping even though it hadn't run in a while.
The '67 pumps cant be taken apart, so I stopped the flow and a new one is on order, but since the diaphragm is compromised, would there now be gas in my 2 month old oil? I would imagine that it must have been leaking at least a bit the last time I drove it.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 12-05-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

I think I've answered my own question, oil would leak from the air hole regularly if the area above the diaphragm wasn't isolated from the block?

Paul
Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

If it leaked enough fuel to stink up the house, you should be able to smell it on the dipstick if there's any in the sump. Also see if the sump appears to be overfilled. Safest thing to do is drain and refill.

Live well,

SJW
Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Cost of oil and filter change vs potential cost of engine rebuild.

Yeah - that’s a tough call.
The following users liked this post:
vettsplit 63 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

not likely,

but change the oil and filter anyways
Old 12-06-2018, 09:32 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I think the gasoline would just about have to flow up hill to get in the crankcase from a fuel pump leak. Pull the dipstick and sniff it. If a slight smell of gasoline, don't worry about it. Strong smell change the oil. My bet is there will be little to no odor of gasoline on the stick.

However, if you're concerned about "the children" or "peace of mind", by all means, waste money on changing the oil if you get a slight whiff on the dipstick.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Thanks for the feedback guys, no overfill and no gas smell in the oil.

Paul
Old 12-06-2018, 09:19 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Cost of oil and filter change vs potential cost of engine rebuild.

Yeah - that’s a tough call.
Frankie I am with you. I just tore down a 327 that the bearing were down to the brass. Machine shop guy said that one of two things were most likely. Too tight on the clearances, (which I don't think is the case) or the oil was diluted with gasoline, so yeah. tough call. NOT.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Frankie I am with you. I just tore down a 327 that the bearing were down to the brass. Machine shop guy said that one of two things were most likely. Too tight on the clearances, (which I don't think is the case) or the oil was diluted with gasoline, so yeah. tough call. NOT.

No panic since the engine wasn't started and no odor or overfill. Machine shop guy limited you to too little information.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...earing-damage/
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MikeM
No panic since the engine wasn't started and no odor or overfill. Machine shop guy limited you to too little information.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...earing-damage/
Thanks Mike.... The bearings looked exactly like the ones in your link- insufficient lubrication, fuel dilution. Thanks for confirming exactly what t the machine shop guy told me 👍👍

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 12-07-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Hi guys,
I thought you might find this interesting. As mentioned in my second post, I figured there had to be a seal between the fuel pump and the block (my rebuildable '62 pump has one), otherwise oil would leak from of the air hole above the diaphragm.

Paul

Old 12-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I get a single drop of oil that hangs off the bottom of my 4657’fuel pump. Doesn’t really drip. Wipe tt off and it comes back. Removed the passenger side tire and snugged the mounting bolts yesterday and we’ll see what happens. I’ll rebuild it if needed but I don’t like the current rebuild kits. Any recommendations?
Old 12-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

My '62 pump doesn't have an air hole, but I've had oil leaks from the mounting flange to the block. I've changed and sealed the gasket in the past, stays dry for a few years, but I noticed when I changed the oil again last summer that its dripping again, didn't have the time to pull and reseal, one more thing on the list.
The kit I got for the '62 was from Paragon, no issues, but that was many years back...

Paul
Old 12-08-2018, 02:37 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Thanks Mike.... The bearings looked exactly like the ones in your link- insufficient lubrication, fuel dilution. Thanks for confirming exactly what t the machine shop guy told me ����

My point was, there is certainly more than just one reason for insufficient lubrication than fuel in the oil. It's not clear to me how your machinist came to that conclusion by looking at a pile of your parts.

Since the engine wasn't started, no gas was in the crankcase and thus, no reason to change oil.

Last edited by MikeM; 12-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:51 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Mike, I could have been more clear. I kinda hijacked the OP's thread when i got to talking about a 327 I disassembled that is in need of a fresh up. On looking at the bearings, which looked exactly like the ones in your link inder insufficient lubrication or fuel dilution, he said that looked like what the engine's history was. Sorry for making it appear I was the OP. That was a really good link, by the way, that shows diffferent bearings, and what malady the engine suffers from, be it dirty assembly, metal contamination, or other. Thank you for posting that. It is good information. PS- i saw a big block chevy that the bearings had been suffering from insufficient lubrication . They finally traced it to be due to the spin on oil filter adaptor having too small holes for sufficient oil flow. ( it was a pre 68 block) They enlarged the oil passage holes in the adaptor, and the bearing problem went away. Who'd a thought?

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 12-08-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Mike, I could have been more clear. I kinda hijacked the OP's thread when i got to talking about a 327 I disassembled that is in need of a fresh up. On looking at the bearings, which looked exactly like the ones in your link inder insufficient lubrication or fuel dilution, he said that looked like what the engine's history was. Sorry for making it appear I was the OP. That was a really good link, by the way, that shows diffferent bearings, and what malady the engine suffers from, be it dirty assembly, metal contamination, or other. Thank you for posting that. It is good information. PS- i saw a big block chevy that the bearings had been suffering from insufficient lubrication . They finally traced it to be due to the spin on oil filter adaptor having too small holes for sufficient oil flow. ( it was a pre 68 block) They enlarged the oil passage holes in the adaptor, and the bearing problem went away. Who'd a thought?
I never heard of such a thing....doesn't mean it didn't happen though...

Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
My point was, there is certainly more than just one reason for insufficient lubrication than fuel in the oil.
I agree. Diluted oil can certainly wipe out bearings, but more often than not, especially with non-hobby cars bearings that look like that often come out of engines that have not had its oil changed often or ever, that are never warmed up to boil off water and fuel so that sludge builds up sufficiently to obstruct orifices and on newer engines with tight clearances sludge is especially problematic.

Next time you are in traffic, look around at the cars and folks behind the wheels. Ask yourself, how many of these folks change their oil every 3,000 miles, every 7,500? How many even check?

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking '67 fuel pump, now gas in my oil?

Old 12-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by dplotkin
I agree. Diluted oil can certainly wipe out bearings, but more often than not, especially with non-hobby cars bearings that look like that often come out of engines that have not had its oil changed often or ever, that are never warmed up to boil off water and fuel so that sludge builds up sufficiently to obstruct orifices and on newer engines with tight clearances sludge is especially problematic.

Next time you are in traffic, look around at the cars and folks behind the wheels. Ask yourself, how many of these folks change their oil every 3,000 miles, every 7,500? How many even check?

Dan
More than you might think - modern cars have wider oil change intervals and "nag" lights in the dash to inform you when its time for the oil change....wife's 2016 Durango and my 2013 Tundra both do...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-09-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Gas in the oil is not a problem.

Many aircraft engines have oil dilution systems for starting in cold weather. The gas just evaporates off.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Not buying it....get enough gas in your car's crankcase and its not going anywhere -- just like it doesn't from your vented gas tank. Don't know about aircraft...

Quick Reply: [C2] Leaking '67 fuel pump, now gas in my oil?