C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1964 Fat Boy Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:23 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
The ss mesh I used to fashion a guard for my fuel lines powdercoated matte black. Originally, I was going to add polished stainless “spears”, but have since decided not to as that bit of bling doesn’t fit with my build ideas.
Sounds good - will you just have the mesh painted, or will you also be infilling the whole scoop, fading through shades of black / gray to white. ?

BTW: Very neat job on the cut-outs - they look good. - Regards GV
Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Powder coated matte black, no blend, no fade, no bling.

By the way, every ‘64 I’ve seen where they open up the vents, they square off the trailing edge. Why? I hope I’m not missing something and later have one of those Homer Simpson Doh! moments.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:24 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Powder coated matte black, no blend, no fade, no bling.

By the way, every ‘64 I’ve seen where they open up the vents, they square off the trailing edge. Why? I hope I’m not missing something and later have one of those Homer Simpson Doh! moments.
No; I don't think you're missing "anything" - from what I can see, it seems everyone who has squared off the trailing edge, has done so it runs parallel with the leading edge of the door, whereas what your proposing has much more symmetry and is aesthetically more sympathetic by slanting the trailing edge so it runs parallel with the leading edge of the vent and … also the fender wheel opening - not sure of if the mesh style chosen will blend, is there a mesh style that blends with the front grille of the car ? - GV

PS: last pic shows the spears you speak off - you might be right; a bit too much "bling" for Fat Boy - he's not a pooch, more like a psychopathic junk yard dog.

This pic (above) with the "deep" scallops is a personal favourite

Old 03-09-2019, 04:23 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I agree with GV, I like the deep scallops the best, but I also agree that if you're going to leave it completely cut out, the way you did it where the trailing edge parallels the leading edge is the best looking. Just a thought, would it look cleaner if you rounded the corners on the trailing edge of the opening to match the corners on the leading edge, or would that look strange? Just a thought....maybe someone with more skills than I can photo shop one of your above pics.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Great comments and thanks for the pictures, GV!

i don’t know what it is about sidepipes on a C2. IMO, they just look wrong and make the car look overweight, detracting from the sleek lines. Of course many feel that way about my flares, so I’ll just shut up now!
Old 03-09-2019, 08:24 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by roadster65

This pic (above) with the "deep" scallops is a personal favourite
This seems to flow well with the large fender flares.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:26 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

i don’t know what it is about sidepipes on a C2. IMO, they just look wrong and make the car look overweight, detracting from the sleek lines. Of course many feel that way about my flares, so I’ll just shut up now!

I agree....kind of like nose rings on attractive women....some can pull it off, but nobody looks better than they would without it. However, '68-'72 C3, side pipes all day long!!!

Old 03-09-2019, 02:48 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

i don’t know what it is about sidepipes on a C2. IMO, they just look wrong and make the car look overweight, detracting from the sleek lines.
… and therein you have it in a "nut-shell" … detracting from the sleek lines

In fact I would go so far as to say, they (sidepipes) don't detract from the sleek lines; they don't enhance either, what they do is "distract" the eye from the sleek lines; in effect, they become a focal point and draw the eye away from the rest of the car.

In fine Art, there is a rule, not to place the main subject in the centre of the picture, but to place the main subject off-centre to allow the eye to pick up on other matter and nuances within the picture, same principle applies to good photography.

There are two basic areas of vehicle modification, Hotrodding, enhancing the mechanical performance (function), and Customising, enhancing the bodywork and interior (form) - or Performance and Looks, like the construction of a great artwork, each part should be in symmetry with the whole, so as not to distract the eye to focus on any one part in particular, but each part blends into the whole so that the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. Doane Spencer's 32 Hi-Boy is a classic example of this principle, where less is more.

Like all great Art work, there is a key focal point, in the case of "Fat Boy", it's the wheels and fender flares; the theme, black and white, and the cachet of a "Bandit" everything else is subtle detail applied to support these directives.

I think sidepipes could "work" on Fat Boy, if they don't distract the eye from the main focal point, the wheels and fender flares, and are tied into the black and white theme - the pics below show how this might be achieved - where the sidepipes are coloured either white or black, so as not to distract the eye from the sleek lines of the rest of the car.

Black sidepipes would tie in with the black bumpers, wheels, vent mesh, door handles, and interior trim, and maintain a continuum from front to rear. - Just a thought - GV

Black - Continuum theme flowing through front to rear - front bumpers, sidepipes, mirrors, door handles, wiper arms, rear bumpers, wheels - all black tying each part together. - This car would look good if the "stinger" protruding from the hood scoop were black also.

PS: Black sidepipes would also blend in with the shadows of the underbody, and be less conspicuous.

Similar treatment to above with exception being sidepipe cover is predominantly white with blackouts to maintain the tie in black theme

Interesting treatment to the side fender vents - scallops aerated and openings flared / pumped - would've looked better canted to same degree as angle of wheel arch.

This car "fails" - by painting the Hood Stinger red in an effort to tie the exterior into the red interior and the red brake calipers, it has become a "distraction to the eye" and consequently looks too "busy" - these exterior parts should've all been painted black to enhance a continuum of theme. - Also the side pipe cover being white makes the side profile look "bloated" - would've looked better in black, blending with the underbody.

Last edited by roadster65; 03-09-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:48 PM
sixtysixtom
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Well said
Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

While I’m lounging in Costa Rica, I’ve been working on the punch list. I have lots of cracks, chips and other body work to complete. One is this lip that runs around the engine bay. I plan on cleaning it up and filling it. Should it be body color or engine bay black?

Last edited by Factoid; 03-10-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Mark, I can't speak to what it "should" be, but on my car the lip are the engine bay is body color.
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 PM
scotty t
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 104 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Modified

Same flares?
Found here https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...thread.545759/
​​​​​​​
Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

I recently discovered that the installed dual fans on my Dewitt’s radiator won’t clear the front of the upper control arm. I have another solution, but my point is that even the most researched solution doesn’t guarantee success once you start mixing aftermarket components. I think you are well aware of this issue!

i will let you know how well the brakes work once I am roadworthy.
Also very interested as to what your fix is with the Dewitt's radiator as I plan to use the same set up with the same control arms.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Uh oh Mark! I have the Dewitt and Spals and haven’t thought to test fit with my Global uppers either. Curious also as to the fix. I know it was tight with my previous VB&P uppers as well. Damn, just when I feel nothing else can go wrong.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:47 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

I believe the lip surrounding the engine compartment is body color, any one I have ever seen is body color.
Factoid (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Damn, just when I feel nothing else can go wrong.
Something else can ALWAYS go wrong
69ttop502 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

Im a little late to the party with regard to side pipes, but i have always loved the look and sound of factory C2/C3 side pipes, i dont feel they take away from the lines of the car, they add an agresseve element to them. I have finally been able to wrestle a set of vintage factory side pipes from my brother in law, he has had them in his garage for the better part of 20 years, this summer i will find the time to install them. Now i can see fat boy with a factory looking set like the artist rendering of the white coupe all blacked out. that is a very nasty look.
Factoid (03-11-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Fat Boy Build

Old 03-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Also very interested as to what your fix is with the Dewitt's radiator as I plan to use the same set up with the same control arms.

Thanks,
Greg
Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Uh oh Mark! I have the Dewitt and Spals and haven’t thought to test fit with my Global uppers either. Curious also as to the fix. I know it was tight with my previous VB&P uppers as well. Damn, just when I feel nothing else can go wrong.
literally 1/2”! I looked at several way to modify the shroud, but it is really well designed and everything is a precise fit.

I used this Flex-a-lite black magic fan on the aluminum radiator in my ‘41 ***** with a 502 bbc and a/c without issue. On the hottest days with the a/c on it never got above 190. It also will fit although it is 1/2” taller, it will be fairly easy to seal. I’m going to order it from Summit once I have my engine installed in a couple of weeks hopefully. Still waiting on the engine from Blueprint. They said four weeks which was last week, but I figured 6-8. I have at least a weeks worth of work to do before it gets here, maybe two. I’ll let you know.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-188/overview/
Old 03-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gavin65
Im a little late to the party with regard to side pipes, but i have always loved the look and sound of factory C2/C3 side pipes, i dont feel they take away from the lines of the car, they add an agresseve element to them. I have finally been able to wrestle a set of vintage factory side pipes from my brother in law, he has had them in his garage for the better part of 20 years, this summer i will find the time to install them. Now i can see fat boy with a factory looking set like the artist rendering of the white coupe all blacked out. that is a very nasty look.
Gavin, that first white coupe with the stinger and black sidepipes that GV posted above is pretty badass and they would look good on Fat Boy. I’m going with no sidepipes now, but the rocker trim is powder coated matte black and may prompt a rethink in the future. Also, with the Ridetech Track 1 rearend, there is less room than stock underneath for my 3” exhaust even with oval tubing, so I may end up there out of necessity, we shall see.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Something else can ALWAYS go wrong
Yes, but that is the beauty of hotrodding, many things can also go really well!

Quick Reply: [C2] 1964 Fat Boy Build