C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C2] 1964 Fat Boy Build

 
Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 PM
  #681  
Factoid
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Factoid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX/Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,293
Recieved 532 Likes on 405 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by elwood13 View Post
The smell was there as it happened Thursday evening and he came home late Friday night from school. He tried to wash it Thursday night but this stuff was like that Eastwood frame coating and went everywhere. Took it to the pressure car wash Saturday morning and drove in the rain for a little bit. Stormed all day so I hit it today. There were some potential puke moments.
I lived on an old chicken farm on top of a mountain in upstate NY when I was in high school. There hadnít been chickens there in ten years, yet it reeked so bad when it rained that you couldnít go outside. Chickens are foul fowl.
Factoid is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 AM
  #682  
roadster65
CF Senior Member
 
roadster65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Posts: 414
Recieved 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Default

Glad your family is safe and well and no damage to the chattels Ö Man ! Ö that's one HUGE "ice ball" - engine lookin' good - GV

Originally Posted by Factoid View Post





My wife picked up one of the many baseball sized hail stone (boulder) that rained down on our house. Fortunately, no broken windows or damage, but our trees got a serious trimming and our pool is full or branches and leaves. Our neighbors car was destroyed and many broken windows and tile roofs up and down the street. This is man killer sized hale!
roadster65 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 AM
  #683  
FLYNAVY30
CF Senior Member
 
FLYNAVY30's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2002
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 3,968
Recieved 224 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Saddletan View Post
Never thought of a zinc in a radiator. Good idea.
Help me out here....what does the zinc do?
FLYNAVY30 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
  #684  
Gavin65
CF Senior Member
 
Gavin65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Ducthess Co NY
Posts: 521
Recieved 100 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

Glad that there was no real damage other than clean up from the hail, I have never in my life come across hail that large, its like dodging baseballs.
Gavin65 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 AM
  #685  
Gavin65
CF Senior Member
 
Gavin65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Ducthess Co NY
Posts: 521
Recieved 100 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

I believe its a sacrificial anode to protect against corrosion. I know I have used them in radiators before.
Gavin65 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM
  #686  
Factoid
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Factoid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX/Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,293
Recieved 532 Likes on 405 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Help me out here....what does the zinc do?
It keeps dissimilar metals from creating a current flow that dissolves the less noble metal. Aluminum is less noble than iron, but zinc is less noble than aluminum. The less noble metal becomes the anode which dissolves over time. Not a good thing for your radiator which is the thinnest metal. This galvanic corrosion is exaggerated in the presence of an electrolyte (your coolant), especially if that electrolyte is flowing. Antifreeze made for cooling systems using aluminum have special inhibitors, but they are less effective the more aluminum that is present. By the way, Greg, almost every cooling system in the navy uses zincs (sacrificial anodes) to protect the equipment.

Originally Posted by Gavin65 View Post
Glad that there was no real damage other than clean up from the hail, I have never in my life come across hail that large, its like dodging baseballs.
Our house has a heavy copper roof with substantial overhangs that protected the windows and doors. However, we also have cathedral ceilings and it sounded like bombs going off. Fortunately, the giant hail only lasted for about five minutes, but while you are going through it it seems like hours.
Factoid is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 PM
  #687  
FLYNAVY30
CF Senior Member
 
FLYNAVY30's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2002
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 3,968
Recieved 224 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Factoid View Post
It keeps dissimilar metals from creating a current flow that dissolves the less noble metal. Aluminum is less noble than iron, but zinc is less noble than aluminum. The less noble metal becomes the anode which dissolves over time. Not a good thing for your radiator which is the thinnest metal. This galvanic corrosion is exaggerated in the presence of an electrolyte (your coolant), especially if that electrolyte is flowing. Antifreeze made for cooling systems using aluminum have special inhibitors, but they are less effective the more aluminum that is present. By the way, Greg, almost every cooling system in the navy uses zincs (sacrificial anodes) to protect the equipment.
Interesting....that explains the death of the 5 year old aluminum radiator in my Suburban. Where do you purchase the zincs from?

Thanks!
FLYNAVY30 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM
  #688  
BrotherVette
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: SW FL & CT
Posts: 9
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Local marine supply stores will have a good selection.
BrotherVette is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 PM
  #689  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 302
Recieved 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Interesting....that explains the death of the 5 year old aluminum radiator in my Suburban. Where do you purchase the zincs from?

Thanks!
Amazon has tons around $10

I put mine in the temp sender hole since Iím using my EFI to control the fan that way I can keep my petcock.

We had them the size of candy bars bolted to the hull on the sub. My dad used to keep a few pennies in with his tools as sacrificial anodes too. Iím not sure they did much though

Last edited by ganshert; 04-15-2019 at 05:27 PM.
ganshert is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:02 PM
  #690  
Factoid
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Factoid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX/Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,293
Recieved 532 Likes on 405 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ganshert View Post
Amazon has tons around $10

I put mine in the temp sender hole since Iím using my EFI to control the fan that way I can keep my petcock.

We had them the size of candy bars bolted to the hull on the sub. My dad used to keep a few pennies in with his tools as sacrificial anodes too. Iím not sure they did much though
Copper is more noble than iron, so no. I bought mine from Summit and anytime I drain the coolant I want to check it so it acts as the drain anyway.

Had a good day today once I cleaned the pool out again. One more cleaning tomorrow and it should be back to normal.


I modified my DeWitts radiator slightly in order to mount the Black Magic fan. It is actually 1/2Ē too tall, but not a big deal.

Once the radiator was in I trimmed the hoses to fit. These are the stock hoses and they fit okay. I wonder if there is a better shape for the DeWitts radiator?

Finally, I made some spacers for the sway bar to ensure there was at least 1/4Ē between the radiator, sway bar and front pivot of the lower control arm. I ended up with two 1/8Ē spacers on each side and everything is copacetic.

Last edited by Factoid; 04-15-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Factoid is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 09:30 AM
  #691  
Gavin65
CF Senior Member
 
Gavin65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Ducthess Co NY
Posts: 521
Recieved 100 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

This is really looking fantastic, I am impressed with how quickly you have been working, getting close to the first start.
Gavin65 is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 PM
  #692  
Factoid
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Factoid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX/Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,293
Recieved 532 Likes on 405 Posts
Default

Thanks, Gavin!

i got after the wiring today.


Out with the wimpy 4 gauge battery cables. In with 1 gauge cables. I made them all to length crimping, soldering and covered with heat shrink.

Set up the crimped in the vice.

Coated the inside of the lug and exposed end of the cable with rosin flux.

Inserted the cable and cranked down on the vice.

Makes a nice crimp that then gets heated with a torch and solder is drawn into the hole making a bullet proof bond.

Positive, negative and a ground strap all now installed.

A rats nest of wiring!

Should have it all sorted tomorrow and Iíll finish the cooling system on Thursday. Woo hoo!
Factoid is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 PM
  #693  
elwood13
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
elwood13's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 1,197
Recieved 243 Likes on 187 Posts
Default

elwood13 is online now  
Old 04-16-2019, 11:02 PM
  #694  
Factoid
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Factoid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX/Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,293
Recieved 532 Likes on 405 Posts
Default

Bubba strikes again!

My engine harness was pretty chopped up. The transistor ignition harness was disconnected and there were several foreign wires in the engine bay including two black wires jammed through the grommet with the copper oil line. When I had the dash out I found their origin. A kill switch hidden under the dash. Okay. I replaced the engine harness.

Today I was ringing wiring and found that key in the START position provides 12v to the starter solenoid, but no other position does anything. Iím now thinking his kill switch was just a cob job for bad wiring under the dash. I hate going backwards!

Last edited by Factoid; 04-16-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Factoid is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM
  #695  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 302
Recieved 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

I replaced all of my wiring harnesses this winter. If I was you I would replace them all with new. Youíll likely end up hours ahead and know exactly what youíve got when youíre done. Plus it was a lot easier to incorporate my FI, headlight relays and fan relay circuits into the new harness on the bench.
ganshert is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:46 PM
  #696  
roadster65
CF Senior Member
 
roadster65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Posts: 414
Recieved 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ganshert View Post
I replaced all of my wiring harnesses this winter. If I was you I would replace them all with new. Youíll likely end up hours ahead and know exactly what youíve got when youíre done.
trying to be penny wise could make you pound poor - nice job on the battery cables - GV
roadster65 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM
  #697  
Gavin65
CF Senior Member
 
Gavin65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Ducthess Co NY
Posts: 521
Recieved 100 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

That truly sucks, and you had the cluster out already, would have made it far simpler to find.
Originally Posted by Factoid View Post
Bubba strikes again!

My engine harness was pretty chopped up. The transistor ignition harness was disconnected and there were several foreign wires in the engine bay including two black wires jammed through the grommet with the copper oil line. When I had the dash out I found their origin. A kill switch hidden under the dash. Okay. I replaced the engine harness.

Today I was ringing wiring and found that key in the START position provides 12v to the starter solenoid, but no other position does anything. Iím now thinking his kill switch was just a cob job for bad wiring under the dash. I hate going backwards!
Gavin65 is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:20 PM
  #698  
Factoid
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Factoid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX/Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,293
Recieved 532 Likes on 405 Posts
Default

So, the ignition key doesn’t supply 12v to IGNITION when in the START position. I could use a relay, but any other ideas? I have a mini starter that doesn’t have an R terminal.
Factoid is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM
  #699  
Tom Austin
CF Senior Member
 
Tom Austin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Ellicott City Maryland
Posts: 1,567
Recieved 161 Likes on 128 Posts
Default

Sounds like you need the wiring harness pigtail for the mini starter? I had the same issue with my mini starter - I have an extra harness!
Tom
Tom Austin is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 PM
  #700  
jet-tech
CF Senior Member
 
jet-tech's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Grapevine TX
Posts: 356
Recieved 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

I think you may need this R terminal diode kit, https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10038/10002/-1
jet-tech is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-17-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] 1964 Fat Boy Build


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: