C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone here live in Virginia in the 60’s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Anyone here live in Virginia in the 60’s?

I found a place that reproduces vehicle inspection stickers. I can get one dated 1967 with my current license tag number on it for $25.

Their website says that Virginia inspection stickers back then were applied to the top center of the windshield. I recall them being located at the bottom corner of the windshield on the driver’s side.

Does anyone remember which it was? Today, I’m pretty sure they are on the bottom left corner.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-09-2018, 07:30 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The annual inspection sticker was always in the lower middle of the windshield until this year. In 2018 they were moved to the lower left, driver’s side, of the windshield. Back in the 60’s we had city stickers which were required that were placed next to the inspection sticker. Your couldn’t get the city sticker until your property taxes were paid. I hate the stickers. My 66 is registered as an antique so there is no annual inspection or property taxes.
The following users liked this post:
RatDog (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

MarkC is correct...

I lived in Tidewater the ENTIRE '60s and was partners in my Dad's used car lot....
Here is my '59 MGA parked in our driveway in Virginia Beach, Va in 1967....

My old '75 LeMans GT (which my brother still owns) on the street in Norfolk, Va much more recently late '90s or later......also showing city sticker...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-09-2018 at 08:18 AM.
RatDog (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:10 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, Mark and Frankie. I have a high school photo of my '59 AH Sprite taken in 1964 when my family lived in Alexandria. It shows the windshield but the photo quality is poor so I can't see the sticker.

That's really an obnoxious place to put it.

Take care,
Steve
Old 12-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I got pulled over for speeding once in that LeMans - the Virginia Beach cop had me and the wife both out of the car reading us the riot act.

She put her purse on the hood in front of the expired inspection sticker so the cop didn't see it.. I got off with a warning....did I marry well or not !?

You should tell that repro sticker outfit their website is bogus...your repro sticker should look exactly like the one on the MGA - the one on the LeMans is decades later.

I too hated the inspection drill every 6 months; 9 times out of 10 the shop ALWAYS found something to hit you on that they would fix to push you through....for a fee...

Headlight aiming and brake drum turning were very popular...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-09-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:44 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I got pulled over for speeding once in that LeMans - the Virginia Beach cop had me and the wife both out of the car reading us the riot act.

She put her purse on the hood in front of the expired inspection sticker so the cop didn't see it.. I got off with a warning....did I marry well or not !?

You should tell that repro sticker outfit their website is bogus...your repro sticker should look exactly like the one on the MGA - the one on the LeMans is decades later.

I too hated the inspection drill every 6 months; 9 times out of 10 the shop ALWAYS found something to hit you on that they would fix to push you through....for a fee...

Headlight aiming and brake drum turning were very popular...
Yep, I'd say you married well, Frankie. That was quick thinking on her part.

Those inspections, and the personal property tax, have always done a fine job of dissuading me from ever living in VA.

Live well,

SJW
Old 12-09-2018, 08:52 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

It was in the lower center of front windshield, and inspection was every 6 months.

In the 1980s, it changed to every year, or the annual state safety inspection.
Then, effective Jan 2018, inspection decals moved to the lower left corner, as the state statute was changed.

Also, depending on the town, city, or county, you had either a second decal for property tax, or a 1” tall metal strip for your tax id.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

In Michigan, ANY of those sticker locations would get you an "obstructed vision" ticket (we don't have stickers or inspections).
Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
In Michigan, ANY of those sticker locations would get you an "obstructed vision" ticket (we don't have stickers or inspections).
Even in "rational" Virginia, if you previously had a private sticker in the currently mandated state inspection sticker spot you were at risk to get an obstructed view ticket.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 AM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

THAT'S the way it should be everywhere. Let's face it, in MOST cases it's just a money making scheme.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 AM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Before we had county stickers we had county tags. About 2 inches wide and bolted on with state tag. JBL
Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Not to be a spoil sport, but I can tell you that in Mass it is a felony to reproduce and affix any "counterfeit" inspection sticker. Using any altered or fabricated RMV document or plate is a 5 year felony. Not sure what the law is in Va, but you should research it if you haven't already.
RatDog (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:22 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JohnZ

And yet nearly all my Ford vehicles had a fairly large oval decal in their lower corners, picturing the UAW logo and plant location.

Anyways, Virginia law dictates locations and sizes of any decals. MI (or MA) laws would not impact in any way.

Last edited by *89x2*; 12-09-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:22 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by capevettes
Not to be a spoil sport, but I can tell you that in Mass it is a felony to reproduce and affix any "counterfeit" inspection sticker. Using any altered or fabricated RMV document or plate is a 5 year felony. Not sure what the law is in Va, but you should research it if you haven't already.
Thanks. I don’t know what the law says about that here in FL where I’m located. I was thinking about a VA sticker because that’s where my car was originally sold (Rosenthal Chevrolet in Arlington).

Anyway, I’ve decided not to get the sticker. Apparently, it’s not an accurate reproduction and I don’t like where it’s supposed to go on the windshield.

Steve

capevettes (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Many, many cars in Norfolk also had a large base (Navy/Army/Air Force) sticker on them....mostly on the bumpers but sometimes on DS lower left on windshield. Yeah, Virginia car's front glass could get a bit "busy"...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-09-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RatDog

Thanks. I don’t know what the law says about that here in FL where I’m located. I was thinking about a VA sticker because that’s where my car was originally sold (Rosenthal Chevrolet in Arlington).

Anyway, I’ve decided not to get the sticker. Apparently, it’s not an accurate reproduction and I don’t like where it’s supposed to go on the windshield.

Steve

(Bob) Rosenthal was THE big VETTE Dealer in that era. Wasn’t until the 90s when Koons in Tysons started to really stock a bunch. About the same time, Criswell in MD ramped-up their inventory too.

Rosenthal also had had a big pre-owned Corvette lot across from their new. Probably until 1990, then focused on Jeeps, etc
ultimately, their Chevy store lost its franchise in 2008/2009 timeframe.
About the same time, Bob Peck (a few miles down Glebe Rd) and Pallone in Springfield closed, leaving just Koons in the area.
Page opened a few years later in the Annandale mercury dealership spot. But used to have Chevy stores all over. Kline, was another which closed down in the area.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yes - made Dad worked in Federicksburg for a while in the 60s and I ferried cars back and forth to Tidewater for him...
Bob Rosenthal sold a LOT of Corvettes to military folks from the Pentagon and Quantico....

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here live in Virginia in the 60’s?

Old 12-09-2018, 11:47 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by *89x2*

(Bob) Rosenthal was THE big VETTE Dealer in that era. Wasn’t until the 90s when Koons in Tysons started to really stock a bunch. About the same time, Criswell in MD ramped-up their inventory too.

Rosenthal also had had a big pre-owned Corvette lot across from their new. Probably until 1990, then focused on Jeeps, etc
ultimately, their Chevy store lost its franchise in 2008/2009 timeframe.
About the same time, Bob Peck (a few miles down Glebe Rd) and Pallone in Springfield closed, leaving just Koons in the area.
Page opened a few years later in the Annandale mercury dealership spot. But used to have Chevy stores all over. Kline, was another which closed down in the area.
My family lived in Alexandria during my elementary and high school years. My '67 was originally sold at the Arlington Rosenthal and that's the same Chevy dealer where my dad bought his '61 and '64 Impalas so I was in that dealership a number of times back in the day. Small world.

Steve
*89x2* (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:01 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1598468944]I got pulled over for speeding once in that LeMans - the Virginia Beach cop had me and the wife both out of the car reading us the riot act.

Headlight aiming and brake drum turning were very popular...[/QUOTE]

Does the Commonwealth still contract with private garages for that work? What a bad idea that was . . . and what a gold mine for dishonest shops.

I took my Sprite in for it's 6-month one time and the shop told me that my brakes were put on backwards and needed to be completely redone. I told the guy "no way". As I recall, he put a reject or temporary pass of some sort on the windshield and I took it somewhere else where it passed with flying colors.

I can't remember if it was the VA inspection shops or the County/State operated inspection stations they used to have down in Miami, but I remember having to hit the gas to fly onto a ramp and then hit the brakes once on the ramps. This was how they measured braking power. I've always wondered how many people ended up flying off the other side of the ramp?

Overall, when done correctly, I think inspections are a good idea. I don't need that to make sure my cars are safe but there are plenty of drivers out there who do need that.

Steve
Old 12-09-2018, 12:11 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yes - made Dad worked in Federicksburg for a while in the 60s and I ferried cars back and forth to Tidewater for him...
Bob Rosenthal sold a LOT of Corvettes to military folks from the Pentagon and Quantico....
Frankie - I may have told you this before, can't remember, but I have a friend from elementary school and high school who currently lives in Fredericksburg. She and her husband owned a big auto parts and recyling business there in the mid -60's into the 70's. Their place won an award from the Commonwealth for it's design and how well it fit into the neighborhood (not an easy accomplishment for a auto junkyard). My friend and her husband had to sell the business as part of their divorce settlement. She is quite wealthy now because of that business.

Steve

Quick Reply: Anyone here live in Virginia in the 60’s?