C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fan Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,249 Likes on 837 Posts
Default Fan Shroud

Ok, question. In my never ending quest to eliminate overheating in a C2 BB roadster I have bit the bullet and bought a new DeWitt HD radiator. I have scrapped the electric fans as suggested by members here in the forum and am going back to OEM set up with a clutch fan and 7 blade fan from an A/C car. I have a high flow aluminum water pump and deep groove pulleys. I bought an after market fan shroud from CC because my original one was cracked and broken Although not an exact reproduction it is the same size and shape. Now for my question:
In the upper driver side corner is a large irregular shaped hole (as pictured). The new shroud did not have it so I cut it out to match. (Maybe I should have not done this) I am guessing it is there to let air get to the alternator that is mounted directly behind it but don't know for sure. Is this what that is for? Did my cutting out the hole in the shroud affect air flow back to the fan by letting some spill out or did I do the right thing? Just wondering. (disregard the lower placement of the new shroud as it is not completely mounted yet.)
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

read the link below
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-shroud.html
The following users liked this post:
Vette5311 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,249 Likes on 837 Posts

Wow, I read the link. The amount of knowledge and information available on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Thanks again. I kinda wish I had not made the cutout in the new shroud as I well be spending much more time at lower speeds than over 80- mph but, what is done, is done. I guess I'll just be going with what the factory did and live with it, or of course there is always duct tape!

Get notified of new replies

To Fan Shroud

Quick Reply: Fan Shroud