C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Proof of original motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Exactly! As usual eveyone wants to doubt it. THe main concern is its the original, so it is problem solved...nothing to doubt or discuss.
Someone else here recently photo'd or videod his to verify it was the original and he got a bunch of crap. Why waste someones time if they prove it if thats what ones really after?

I can hear a gear reduction starter and definitely a different cam, does sound well built. Decking a block is alll part of doing it right
Read post #39.

I think something is screwed up on this car & engine. You go to a incompetent engine builder 'to get it done right' for 10K and they shave the number pad??? Something wen't wonky and the previous owner went to Bill to get some authenticity back on his devalued eng - car package.. Else wise why wouldn't the owner have documented the pad more thoroughly if it was going to be decked? I don't think that Bill wrote that letter before the engine was pulled.

Would you pay 80K for that car - eng package, or move on to a similar car with a no-excuses pad? At 80K for an average SB 66 I'm not looking for something to drive around, I'm looking for investment potential.

Last edited by colo63sw; 12-13-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 PM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I have no dog in this fight, but I would like to make you guys aware of something. These days, computer technology has advanced to a state most people are unaware of. It would be extremely easy to duplicate the Bloomington Gold letterhead using equipment commonly available today. A case in point : a friend of mine passed away recently and I am going through probate. She had made a will previously, which was duly witnessed and notarized. The witnesses signed the document, and the notary also signed and stamped the document. After this was done, we took the executed will home and scanned it into my computer with a $189 HP multi-purpose scanner/printer/fax unit. I then printed it out on the same machine so I would have a copy. When I went to see a probate attorney, I wasn't sure which was the original and which was the copy, so I took them both with me. I explained to him that I wasn't sure which is which and that I would like him to make the determination. He looked at them closely, and said that he couldn't determine which was the original, and since this was a common problem, we needed "younger eyes". He called in a 23 year old secretary and had her look at it. She said that she thought that she could determine the original, but wasn't 100% sure. Bottom line? We had to submit both copies to the probate court with an affidavit that they were the only two copies in existence.

Given this, the statement that the letter was on "Official Bloomington Gold stationery" is highly subject to doubt; it proves nothing.

Last edited by tubman; 12-13-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 AM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
cuisinartvette,

Because nowhere in the posted letter does Mr. Locke state that
"HE personally inspected the block BEFORE it was decked. And he states the 'right' numbers were there at that time."
Greg
Gotta be honest, I THOUGHT that was the way it was word but you are CORRECT. With that in mind, I think clarification is needed from Mr Locke. It needs to be known what the facts exactly are.

Quick Reply: Proof of original motor?