C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Breath in Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Eric Sakai
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Breath in Air Filter

Hello All:

Which air filter for 2x4 breaths more air in?
NAPA paper element; K&N Filter; or thick wire weave surrounded by foam mesh (this also needs some oil).

The K&N is sandwiched by black rubber which leave very small area for the air to flow through and I think I'm putting little K&N oil but end up too much maybe?
Because the foam area for the wire weave is taller, I'm think more air can flow through.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I ran the NAPA filter for a decade, I doubt that any small potential increase with the other products would make a seat of the pants difference.

Engine air flow demands are controlled by the carbs’ rear air valves and counterweights. I’m betting the car will never demand enough air movement that the air filter is the limiting parameter Each carb has about 384 cfm of air flow, so that’s 768 cfm. And that’s a theoretical max. About as much as a single Holley.

If anything is limiting air movement it’s prob the air cleaner lid that only has those side gills for the air flow.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: [C1] Breath in Air Filter