C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] How the **** do you reach the fuse block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:20 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
All of us old geezers on here are really pathetic (and I’m including myself in that). But you have to give us credit for hanging in there and fighting the ravages of old age. One way or the other, we figure out how to get ‘er done.

Steve
you fellas get much credit. (16 months to 40!). The work ethic here is an inspiration
Old 12-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sibes67
and just wait if someday you also need glasses, WITH bi-focals in them; talk about a tough time even seeing the fuse you want to pull.
Tri-focals and cataracts forming here...very frustrating.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Hardscrable

Tri-focals and cataracts forming here...very frustrating.
I was able to ditch my tri-focals and get single vision glasses after I got cataract surgery. Cataract surgery is a piece of cake. Easiest surgery I’ve ha and I’ve had a lot.

Steve
Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I know several very well-off, older people that don't need to lift a finger ever again in their lives; but they continue to work on these cars... I find most of them came from a blue collar background or from modest-to-poor circumstances where they had to keep their own cars running decades ago....to get around and make it to work each day.

And, strangely, what they once considered a major, stressful PITA; is now a pleasant pastime (but they still b!tch about it)...
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Brian VH McHale (12-14-2018), L72copo (12-14-2018), rtruman (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

I was able to ditch my tri-focals and get single vision glasses after I got cataract surgery. Cataract surgery is a piece of cake. Easiest surgery I’ve ha and I’ve had a lot.

Steve
Went from bi’s to tri’s about15 years ago. Script changes every year. A constant battle seeing close up/arms length. Correct head angle and correct lense never seem to coincide.

Doc told me five years ago I had 5 - 10 years before cataract surgery. Last 6 months really starting to affect me at times. Either like my lenses are all fogged up or blurred at times. Doc says the cataracts are constantly changing my “prescription.” Varies thru out day. Far vision seems better. Actually taking glasses off to drive at times, can see better. Everyone tells me the surgery makes things much, much better. So maybe it will happen in my near future.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I know several very well-off, older people that don't need to lift a finger ever again in their lives; but they continue to work on these cars... I find most of them came from a blue collar background or from modest-to-poor circumstances where they had to keep their own cars running decades ago....to get around and make it to work each day.

And, strangely, what they once considered a major, stressful PITA; is now a pleasant pastime (but they still b!tch about it)...
That is me. Grew up on a “hardscrabble” farm. We didn’t have much. Farmed my whole life, small trucking business, etc. so working on things and keeping things running has always been a way of life. Retirement type leisure that most people enjoy doesn’t interest me. I need to tinker or do something semi-work like. My wife keeps telling me I need to learn to just relax...that just doesn’t compute. My self worth seems to require doing/accomplishing things.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Hardscrable

That is me. Grew up on a “hardscrabble” farm. We didn’t have much. Farmed my whole life, small trucking business, etc. so working on things and keeping things running has always been a way of life. Retirement type leisure that most people enjoy doesn’t interest me. I need to tinker or do something semi-work like. My wife keeps telling me I need to learn to just relax...that just doesn’t compute. My self worth seems to require doing/accomplishing things.
Yup. You're one of "those guys" as am I.... When I b!tch too much about paying bills (and I have plenty of money to do so) the wife reminds me of the days when I had a Rochester carb apart on our apartment kitchen table, rebuilding it at 12:30am so I could take our only car to work at my 12 hour shift in the freezing hangars at the Navy Depot...

I had two retinal tears in my right eye 18 months ago which they (amazingly) froze back together in the Doctor's office but like you I have my bad and good days....sometimes its like looking through a mist in that eye - so I feel ya.

On the flip side my 65 year old brother and I often discuss how incredibly lucky we are to be able to do what we do when we both have younger friends with serious health problems or, worse, just can't find a hobby that brings them joy in life.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

Yup. You're one of "those guys" as am I.... When I b!tch too much about paying bills (and I have plenty of money to do so) the wife reminds me of the days when I had a Rochester carb apart on our apartment kitchen table, rebuilding it at 12:30am so I could take our only car to work at my 12 hour shift in the freezing hangars at the Navy Depot...

I had two retinal tears in my right eye 18 months ago which they (amazingly) froze back together in the Doctor's office but like you I have my bad and good days....sometimes its like looking through a mist in that eye - so I feel ya.

On the flip side my 65 year old brother and I often discuss how incredibly lucky we are to be able to do what we do when we both have younger friends with serious health problems or, worse, just can't find a hobby that brings them joy in life.
Had a retina tear years ago so I understand.

My middle brother passed away at 35. My Dad very young. More and more friends, etc. gone...many way to young. I have/had many health issues but have to realize how blessed really am. Every day that you wake up is a gift. Also blessed to have grown up the way we did. Know the value of things, have work ethic. No silver spoon, no hand outs. We have much but live conservative by many standards. Important to be charitable while still here. Rather than live high on the hog and die with only a nickel left enjoy life, live comfortable, but have some left to give back after we are gone.

Typical thread, got way off track. 😊 Sorry !
Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well - back on track then....I've become a big proponent of those LED head lamps held on by a strap around your noodle...and get your reading glasses on BEFORE you climb under the dash...

But yeah I know of no better position than on your knees at the DS sill plate and humping over (there's a punch line in there somewhere) to get to the fuse box...

I recently had my 63 fuel gauge in and out 3 times without removing the cluster (long story) and it was a lot more effort I can assure you.

We can all fuss until the cows come home but it is what it is...
Old 12-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

Helps me
I use a old lawn chair
The following users liked this post:
449er (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:43 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Jeffs82c3

Helps me
I use a old lawn chair
And handy for naps. I like it.

Steve
Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

Helps me
I use a old lawn chair
👍. I can see how that could help immensely. I just have trouble cause spine, especially cervical ( neck ) has limited movement and turning/twisting is a struggle. I
Old 12-14-2018, 10:43 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

a pleasant pastime (but they still b!tch about it)...
You ever put the trim on the C1 waterfall glovebox door? Nothing pleasant about that at all, and yes I am still bitching about it 10 years later.
Doug

Old 12-14-2018, 10:48 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

. One way or the other, we figure out how to get ‘er done.

Steve
I find it just takes a lot longer. I used to be able to R&R a Muncie, laying on my back in about 45 minutes without any grief. Now, with a lift, it is about a 2 day process.
Doug

Old 12-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I find it just takes a lot longer.
Doug
Aint that the truth.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:59 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts

I find it just takes a lot longer. I used to be able to R&R a Muncie, laying on my back in about 45 minutes without any grief. Now, with a lift, it is about a 2 day process.
Doug
yeah, the days of sliding under the car unbolting the trans, dropping it on your chest and sliding back out from under the car with it are long gone for me.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You ever put the trim on the C1 waterfall glovebox door? Nothing pleasant about that at all, and yes I am still bitching about it 10 years later.
Doug
I have indeed, along with doing a C1 windshield; my therapist says the night sweats and facial twitch should stop in another year or so...

Get notified of new replies

To How the **** do you reach the fuse block?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Helps me
I use a old lawn chair
Clever, but those convict work boots on the patio furniture cushion ?
I assume the wife was out of town...
Old 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Knee pads. Car elevated slightly also helps. For illumination this baby lights up the world. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60...0227/305124392

HF mini light works well in tight spaces.
https://www.harborfreight.com/ultra-...ght-63601.html

John

Last edited by mrg; 12-14-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

My wife bought new patio furniture, I was supposed to get rid of the old one, but has become my working vette tool. lol

Quick Reply: [C2] How the **** do you reach the fuse block?