C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] How the **** do you reach the fuse block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi

yeah, the days of sliding under the car unbolting the trans, dropping it on your chest and sliding back out from under the car with it are long gone for me.

Yup - last time I did that was about 10 years ago at age 58+ when I put the TKO 500 in my 67.
No more!
My new place has a lift! :-)

Last edited by tuxnharley; 12-14-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:11 PM
LateOutDrsMn
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
......As as far as falling asleep under there, that’s always a possibility for me. So is being being able to get out of there. My wife has a strict rule. If I’m going to be working under the dash or under the car, I must have my cell phone with me.

Steve
This! I don't know what it is, but I can get very comfortable underneath a car/truck. I remember about 20 years ago, I was in an old chevy truck, and she broke just outside of town. I was underneath fixing her, when I fell asleep, right there on the side of a busy freeway. I was woke up an hour later by the police wanting to know if I was ok. It got even worse after spending time in the Army, and learning all kinds of interesting places to sleep. Wife has found me asleep in our garage under most of our vehicles.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:52 PM
pgiganti
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I started this string of messages and can relate to the "old guy" malady of wanting to fix-it-myself. I'm 70, and while I've only been wrenching (and problem solving) on this '64 for six months, I've been working on my own cars and motorcycles for my whole adult life. My neighbor started me off as a teenager when he asked me to help him rebuild an old hit-and-miss washing machine engine. Now that I'm old, have many more aches and pains, am better off in that I could afford to pay a licensed mechanic to do my repairs, I still want to do them myself. I'm sure a mechanic could do the repairs in 1/4 the amount of time, and probably not break anything new in the process as I do, but I think when you get to my age it's not a matter of saving the money as much as it is proving to yourself that you can still do it—at my age! I will add that after six months of being inside, under, around, and in-between the various non-functioning parts of this car, I'm getting to know the workings of a '64 Corvette REALLY WELL!

Of course the contortions needed to change a simple fuse in a C2 do make me wonder if the licensed mechanic would just remove the seat and steering wheel first—and charge me the hourly rate to do so—or whether he would ask his wife to come in and reach under there and do it?

Last edited by pgiganti; 12-14-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiganti
I started this string of messages and can relate to the "old guy" malady of wanting to fix-it-myself. I'm 70, and while I've only been wrenching (and problem solving) on this '64 for six months, I've been working on my own cars and motorcycles for my whole adult life. My neighbor started me off as a teenager when he asked me to help him rebuild an old hit-and-miss washing machine engine. Now that I'm old, have many more aches and pains, am better off in that I could afford to pay a licensed mechanic to do my repairs, I still want to do them myself. I'm sure a mechanic could do the repairs in 1/4 the amount of time, and probably not break anything new in the process as I do, but I think when you get to my age it's not a matter of saving the money as much as it is proving to yourself that you can still do it—at my age! I will add that after six months of being inside, under, around, and in-between the various non-functioning parts of this car, I'm getting to know the workings of a '64 Corvette REALLY WELL!

Of course the contortions needed to change a simple fuse in a C2 do make me wonder if the licensed mechanic would just remove the seat and steering wheel first—and charge me the hourly rate to do so—or whether he would ask his wife to come in and reach under there and do it?
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah... what about the fuses and the dash lights?
Old 12-14-2018, 04:58 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I will confess, about 2 months after R&R the speedo and tach , and having them rebuilt, on the '72, when the power brake booster went out, i bought a new (rebuilt) PB booster,and took it and the car to a local mechanic (after i painted the booster properly),and said please install this new brake booster. I had replaced the master cyl with correct one at the same time I did the speedo and tach. I actually considered replacing the booster at the same time the dash was out, but didn't. You can replace the booster without dropping the column, using carefully assembled extensions and swivels, while laying under the dash, but not for me, again. $200 for labor, well spent.

Doug
Old 12-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I will confess, about 2 months after R&R the speedo and tach , and having them rebuilt, on the '72, when the power brake booster went out, i bought a new (rebuilt) PB booster,and took it and the car to a local mechanic (after i painted the booster properly),and said please install this new brake booster. I had replaced the master cyl with correct one at the same time I did the speedo and tach. I actually considered replacing the booster at the same time the dash was out, but didn't. You can replace the booster without dropping the column, using carefully assembled extensions and swivels, while laying under the dash, but not for me, again. $200 for labor, well spent.

Doug
Yah I have to admit that I keep debating more and more about just paying some one to do some things rather than doing myself. I enjoy tinkering around but getting harder to do some things that in the past I wouldn’t have thought twice about diving in to.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:44 PM
pgiganti
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

OK. Here's the latest on my fuses and under-dash lights: I've managed to check all the fuses with a Volt/Ohm meter and all the fuses are good. I also used the meter to check the voltage reading on each side of each fuse. I get 12 volts on both sides of each fuse with ONE EXCEPTION. The fuse marked PNL reads only 6 volts. This is of course the power to those non-working lights. At this point I have no idea why it too doesn't read 12 volts. It's clearly not a dead short, but it's likely this is why my clock, radio, and dial lamps don't shine.

Not sure what could reduce the voltage on that one circuit to exactly 6 volts. Any ideas?
Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If the 6v is only on one side and the other reads 12v, it's probably corrosion on the fuse clips. Pull that panel fuse and clean any corrosion off the two clips at the ends of the fuse. I'd even try a different fuse because there may be some internal resistance at the end cap. If the 6v is on both sides of the panel fuse see below:
Does the voltage vary when you rotate the dashlight brightness up and down at the headlight switch? Almost fully counterclockwise should turn the dash lights to full bright and the voltage to 12 volts. Check that before you deal with the fuses.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 12-14-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Hardscrable
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If the 6v is only on one side and the other reads 12v, it's probably corrosion on the fuse clips. Pull that panel fuse and clean any corrosion off the two clips at the ends of the fuse. I'd even try a different fuse because there may be some internal resistance at the end cap. If the 6v is on both sides of the panel fuse see below:
Does the voltage vary when you rotate the dashlight brightness up and down at the headlight switch? Almost fully counterclockwise should turn the dash lights to full bright and the voltage to 12 volts. Check that before you deal with the fuses.
This ^^^
Old 12-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
My wife’s C6 has the fuse block right in front of you in the engine compartment. I only need to go into recovery mode with that car after I’ve managed to get into and out of the seat.
There's another fuse box in the C6 under the passenger side dash under the footwell. It's about as easy to get to as the C2 fuse box.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:46 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pgiganti
OK. Here's the latest on my fuses and under-dash lights: I've managed to check all the fuses with a Volt/Ohm meter and all the fuses are good. I also used the meter to check the voltage reading on each side of each fuse. I get 12 volts on both sides of each fuse with ONE EXCEPTION. The fuse marked PNL reads only 6 volts. This is of course the power to those non-working lights. At this point I have no idea why it too doesn't read 12 volts. It's clearly not a dead short, but it's likely this is why my clock, radio, and dial lamps don't shine.

Not sure what could reduce the voltage on that one circuit to exactly 6 volts. Any ideas?
Corroded rivet in the fuse box. Or, bad fuse, do you still get 6V with a new fuse? Continuity OK is not the same thing as current flow OK.

IMO, you can jumper it, or just go for new main wire harness.

Old cars, like old car owners, do not work as well everywhere, as they once did.
Doug

Old 12-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by AZDoug

Doug
Yes I farm out some of the trickier tasks too, like getting my trailing arms rebuilt - but then certain members kick my teeth in because I don't do all my own work....

Back on topic - 6v on one side of the fuse is wrong of course....many times its corrosion or the fuse holder "fingers" have become too weak to ensure a good connection... Some wrap the ends of the fuse in a chewing gum wrapper when this happens to make the ends larger. I, of course, would never do that

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-15-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Jist did a dead battery swap, in trunk on 2012 jag.... secret squirrel process. Makes a 64/65
looks like a cake walk.".

Quick Reply: [C2] How the **** do you reach the fuse block?