C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

3-point seat belt conversion

Old 12-14-2018, 04:57 PM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 144 Posts
Default 3-point seat belt conversion

So I ordered the 3-point conversion kit from Ecklers in bright blue. When it arrived, what I had was an inertia reel in bright blue, teal seat belts and the plastic sleeves that holds the transmission tunnel portion of the belts in black. So 3 different colors on a 3-point conversion. Not really what I want in my ride. Called and spoke to Corvette Mods that distribute either for Seat belts Plus or Solutions (forget which). Emphasized I was looking for a bright blue solution that was....you know....all bright blue. Was told yes, returned the Ecklers product, got the new package today and....can you guess? Same exact thing.
Before I bring all this to my upholsterer to dye/paint all the parts the same color does anyone know if what I am searching for exists?
Thanks
Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,464 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I ordered my shoulder belt system from Seatbelt Planet. Got bright blue and black retractor cover and buckle cover. Ordered a can of bright blue spray and finished the job. I suggest you return your order. Dennis
Old 12-15-2018, 06:10 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Seat Belt Solutions painted the plastic parts of my 3-point belts the correct color before they shipped them to me. They’re a manufacturer so its easy for them to that.

Steve

Last edited by RatDog; 12-16-2018 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Wrong company name
Old 12-15-2018, 08:41 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

So I failed to mention that my 66 is a convertible. The 3-point systems I see on both Seat belt plus and planet look to be more applicable for a coup given how the middle shoulder strap guide appears to want to live on the "B" pillar. To fabricate and use a guide for the seat back, would I then not have to mount the inertia reel upside down on the wheel well? If not upside down the webbing would be twisted it seems.

Both of the companies you mention seem to have the correct color webbing and as mentioned I could paint the plastic parts to match but the install of the reel with those units remains a bit sketchy in my mind.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,505 Likes on 2,778 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I ordered the three point belts for my ‘64 convertible in dark blue with GM buckles from Seat Belts Plus. Everything is dark blue. I have C3 clamshell seats and the included bracket is meant to attach to the seat. I was able to slide the bracket inside the plastic hardback, drill holes and bolt it in place. The retraction is not as smooth as I would like given the sharp angle, but works well enough.

The following users liked this post:
C2Dude (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Factoid
I ordered the three point belts for my ‘64 convertible in dark blue with GM buckles from Seat Belts Plus. Everything is dark blue. I have C3 clamshell seats and the included bracket is meant to attach to the seat. I was able to slide the bracket inside the plastic hardback, drill holes and bolt it in place. The retraction is not as smooth as I would like given the sharp angle, but works well enough.

unless the shoulder belt anchor point is up high, in the case of an accident that belt will yank out of the seat and slide down...maybe I am missing something, but that looks to be a false sense of security......IMO
Old 12-15-2018, 09:16 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

So keep in mind there is an inertia reel behind the seat, bolted to the wheel well. The web emitted from the reel is guided (in a C2 seat) up over the top of the seat just lateral to the head rest, over your shoulder and across your chest buckling to the receiver on the other side of the seat bottom. In a front end collision, presumably the inertia reel locks preventing any extension to the overall length. The guide on top of the seat keeps the web positioned over your shoulder. It would have to stay in place and restrain you.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:50 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2Dude
So I failed to mention that my 66 is a convertible. The 3-point systems I see on both Seat belt plus and planet look to be more applicable for a coup given how the middle shoulder strap guide appears to want to live on the "B" pillar. To fabricate and use a guide for the seat back, would I then not have to mount the inertia reel upside down on the wheel well? If not upside down the webbing would be twisted it seems.

Both of the companies you mention seem to have the correct color webbing and as mentioned I could paint the plastic parts to match but the install of the reel with those units remains a bit sketchy in my mind.
The belts work fine in a convertible. Note in the photos that there is a twist in the webbing of about 90 degrees between the seatback and the retractors. But the distance from the seat back to the retractor is great enough for the belt not to bind up.

I took the covers off of my retractors because there was too much belt and when it spoiled up, it rubbed agaiothe covers.

You may may want to put a small folded cloth on top of your retractors before you put your top down. Otherwise, the far ends of your convertible top window may come in contact with your retractors.

Steve
Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

Thank you Steve for including the pictures. The belts I received from Corvette Mods who essentially resells them from Seat Belts Solutions, came with no installations so the pictures help. I was able to download instructions but the diagrams are not real clear.
Yours are clearly all one color, Teal I believe. Did you have to paint the plastic parts of were you able to get all "right" out of the box? Where did you get yours?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

My bad Steve, you already answered my questions, thanks
Old 12-16-2018, 07:58 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My bad Steve, you already answered my questions, thanks
No problem.

I made a mistake in that post. I got my belts at Seatbelt Solutions in Jupiter, FL, not Seatbelts Plus. I fixed it in my post. Seatbelt Solutions is Ecklers’ supplier

Have you determined if your car has the mounting plates for the retractors? Early ‘66 cars did not.

Steve
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

Actually I did not know where to look for them, I was under the impression that they mounted way higher on top of the wheel well. I see from your install that that was a wrong impression. Working on the seat project today (fitting different seats) and I'll palpate the carpet, see if I feel anything.
So Seat Belt Solutions then.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:18 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually I did not know where to look for them, I was under the impression that they mounted way higher on top of the wheel well. I see from your install that that was a wrong impression. Working on the seat project today (fitting different seats) and I'll palpate the carpet, see if I feel anything.
So Seat Belt Solutions then.
Here’s what you’re looking for. The hole where the bolt should have a plastic plug in it. You can see the plug lying there under the bolt.

Steve
Old 12-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

I have a 57 and was concerned about being stabbed by the steering wheel shaft so I installed a collapsible steering column with the rack and pinion using lap belts.

Last edited by Roger Walling; 12-16-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:24 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

perfect Steve. I'll pull the carpet up this morning and look. Even if mine does not have that, your pictures will get me there.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:30 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

I here you Rodger. I am carefully making some changes, preserving the OE seats and seat belts, trying not to introduce any new holes. All this in an effort to introduce a little more safety and comfort. I have read about the OE steering column and would give a collapsible unit a hard look but have not found anything that would fit a 66. There are tilt wheel conversions but nothing so far with an energy absorbing collapsible provision that I have seen at least.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

I here you Rodger. I am carefully making some changes, preserving the OE seats and seat belts, trying not to introduce any new holes. All this in an effort to introduce a little more safety and comfort. I have read about the OE steering column and would give a collapsible unit a hard look but have not found anything that would fit a 66. There are tilt wheel conversions but nothing so far with an energy absorbing collapsible provision that I have seen at least.
You probably will have to buy the collapsible steering shaft and do a little creative cutting and welding in order to do it.
There is nothing in the world that you can not do with a little though.
(with the possible exception of understanding your wife's though processing. )

Get notified of new replies

To 3-point seat belt conversion

Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

And see, I thought that only applied to my wife.
I have fabricated a bunch of stuff over the years but I know my limitations. A steering column is pretty important and I am an amateur engineer/fabricator. Making and welding parts for my seat rails so that they will fit the OE hard points, not worried. Chopping up a column and welding it back together...I'm not there yet.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 443 Likes on 204 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by firstgear

unless the shoulder belt anchor point is up high, in the case of an accident that belt will yank out of the seat and slide down...maybe I am missing something, but that looks to be a false sense of security......IMO
Guide should be on high (on-top) of seat or have a very solid side mount that won't pull out.

If you have head rest you can use MGB seat belt guides (need a little bit of filing)

Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 AM
C2Dude
Burning Brakes

Default 3-point

That is a good pix for guide positioning, thanks. The seats I am fitting have an adjustable headrest supported by two chrome posts emitted from the top of the seat back. The seat backs lock and they have just the right amount of side bolster to hold you but yet not interfere with getting in and out with the OE steering wheel. I'll have seat heaters in them as well to help extend the driving season for us. One other member had sent me pictures of a welded up belt guide that recruited the head rest posts for attachment. Figured to go that way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3-point seat belt conversion