C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Looking for incredible "silver" paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I couldn't get the text to post in the last post...but above is my Mercedes Chrystal Laurit Silver metallic.
Stan..
Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM
FyrCaptain1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Stan, very nice....I like the silver. Is that a current year model Mercedes or older
Old 02-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Captain,
It's older...but I don't know the year model. But, I'd guess its a 10-12 year old paint code.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:44 PM
tomy62
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have not read all the posts in this thread but if not done yet, look at Porsche GT Silver. Lots of metallic. It was a $3500 option on the car last time I looked.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I did not read this entire thread....so excuse me if I am repeating something already mentioned.

I do know that the paint mixing service I have in my shop has some serious fine bright aluminum mixing toners/pigments in it that if they were shot just by themselves...and no other colors added...they would darn near blind you. Then you could 'play' around with adding white pearl to the silver of your choosing to give the color even more radiance and make it somewhat glow.

I do know you can dump a lot of white pearl in silver to make it 'pop' and not drastically effect the sliver appearance until you start to get about 50% pearl.

I know in my paint mixing system I can take a silver and add a binder right to it and turn it into a basecoat...because the silver is made for basecoat. I also have silver toners that are made just for single stage. so I cannot say if other paint systems allow that.

DUB
Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My car is in its original (I THINK) 1959-version Inca Silver. I don't think it's my favorite silver - it has a slight trace of green in it, to my eye, especially indoors. It looks a lot better outdoors, and even then it depends on what the sky looks like (cloudy versus blue sky, broad daylight versus late afternoon, etc.). It's not as metallic as some other silvers. (I agree that there are a lot of nice silvers in German brands, in part because silver is the "national color" for German racing cars, ever since the Mercedes "silver arrow" Grand Prix cars of the 1930's, which were unpainted aluminum.)

The black coves on my car are not a standard offering. With a black interior it would have been either all silver, or had white coves. But whether the coves were changed later, or were part of a special order, I have no idea. (I've had the car since 1981. The avatar photo is from then, and the photo below is from a year or so ago.) (My hardtop is silver, too with black headliner, FWIW.)

The odd thing, is that years ago (probably sometime in the 1980's) I stumbled on some Corvette book, that had a photo in it of a silver with black coves '59! I am convinced that it was actually my car, due to a slight misalignment of the trim pieces above the driver-side cove, at the front of the door. But there was no picture credit in the book, and like a fool I didn't buy it. I've never seen that book again! I had bought the car in Kentucky (I lived in Illinois at the time), but it has a window sticker from "Corvettes Limited", from Madison (Madison, WI?). At one point I actually tracked down that there was at one time a Corvette club by that name in Madison, WI, but the guy I talked to had no recollection of a silver and black car....

It's not the color combination I would have picked, necessarily, but I like it a lot at this point. Plus, being in the SF Bay Area (and the east bay, at that), it's "Raiders colors, baby!" (For another year, anyway.....).

Last edited by SilverC1; 02-07-2019 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kawils2 (08-01-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Micksnip
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
I don't know who's car this is (someone here, I know) but, IMHO this is the prettiest silver going...

i have a 2004 Mustang Cobra, and my 61 vette,but that looks like the “mineral grey” color x one year on 2003 Cobras only. Dang if I passed on one cuz salesman portrayed it as silver, a deal breaker for me.
all that to say if you see a custom paint job, rather than paying 3k/ gallon, check out colors and become an expert at getting things “ close enough”, a good philosophy applied to our one-off 50<> years old car, which is essentially handmade or remade to a great extent. Or you can go insane about it, which would mean job security for me ( Mental Health Therapist). Whatever you’re comfortable with.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I like C7 Blade Silver. Some great looking cars on this thread. Looks like you can’t go wrong.
CorvetteMikeB (03-23-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 02:13 AM
jsans
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Silver Paint

When I bought this car back in 1985, I was told it's a replica of the original silver pearl color. It hasn't been repainted since, which speaks for the quality of the clear coat they put on it since it looks the same as it did back then. So I guess it's not so much the color, it may be more the type of paint, how it was painted, what type and how any clear coats, and the quality of the job.
ptjsk (05-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Metallics look good with 2 coats of clear min. Non metallics dont need any more than a single stage
Mercedes "Brilliant Silver" looks awesome on about any car
Old 03-23-2019, 10:57 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Blade Silver

Old 03-23-2019, 01:17 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

The cove on mine is a 65 Corvette silver pearl. really nice sheen and depth to it. pops in sunlight. Base coat Clear coat.
Originally Posted by Robert61
Silver is silver maybe a few shades difference. The brilliance you're talking about is the size and amount of mica. I'm going with silver also but I've got to get the cove thing figured out. Just my taste but I don't like a darker cove that the body. I've still got a long way to go before that decision.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:29 PM
FyrCaptain1
Instructor

Default Great examples.....

I'm excited, my Art Morrison Chassis arrives Monday!!! Ordered it with 14" Wilwood brakes and 6 piston calipers.....
Old 03-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Yello65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a gallon of Southern polyurethane silver base coat if your interested
100$ plus shipping
very nice silver
Gary
Old 03-24-2019, 06:58 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by 1snake
When I'm painting a car that's not an original color, I go to the new car lots and look at what is available.

The" true color of an object " cannot be seen correctly on a Computer screen, I-pad, phone screen or TV screen The best thing to do is get some sample metal plates, prime them, spray on the base color and then spray on the clear coat.
Stan's Customs (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:16 PM
FyrCaptain1
Instructor

Sorry this is not my car, the painter who is going to paint my 59 did this car.

GTS Customs in Simi valley Calif. His name is Greg. You can look his place up online.

Bart
CorvetteMikeB (03-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for incredible "silver" paint

Old 03-29-2019, 12:38 PM
FyrCaptain1
Instructor

Default My Chassis is in!!

Been waiting for this, finally my Art Morrison Chassis is here. Next week I will get the body blasted down to bare fiberglass with the Dustless Paint remover guys.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:16 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Mercedes Crystal Lauritt Silver metallic paint job......Do you have any more pics of this German Silver paint color on your C1 Corvette?
I have some but I can't get the computer that has them all in it to power up.
The car is on jack stands right now getting ready to install a stroker engine. Should have it back on its feet in a couple of weeks and will have new pics then, even if I can't retrieve the old ones.
I'm hoping I won't have any trouble repairing my old computer when I get it to the Geek Squad.
I just haven't had time to carry it in since we have also been doing a massive home rebuild for the last 14 months.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:30 AM
FyrCaptain1
Instructor

Very nice C2. Got my body basted today with the dustless system. Came out great!

Quick Reply: [C1] Looking for incredible "silver" paint