C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking at a 63 Vert tomorrow - advice on what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Smart. My frame showed normal surface rust underneath but the top was totally gone towards the back. Hiding severe rust with Bondo... wonder what else is being disguised. I have ~10k in a new frame, paint, and rebuild. Cheers
Old 01-10-2019, 10:04 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Yep.....run away fast. One would be way upside down trying to make this one road worthy.

Pat
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Hooked_4_good
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. The person that got stuck with this car is a woman. You can say that she kind of inherited it. She doesn’t know anything about it. I spent 2 1/2 hours looking this car over today and taking notes/pics. I educated her with what I found out and learned from you guys. Also told her that I was most likely passing on this. She does have other people that are looking at it. I do know that for a fact. Told her she should let the other potential buyers know about the frame damage so they can make a more informed decision. Thanks again for all great help.
I hope she sells it to somebody with the skill set to repair the rust reasonably but she should do a "full disclosure" IMO. Frame kick-ups that are mudded over don't really tell how bad the mess is. A gooseneck inspection camera might. The car could actually be unsafe to drive. You did the right thing...
Old 01-10-2019, 03:37 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Looks like the one on dispolay in the Holyoke (MA) Mall ?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm sure for $35,000 you could find yourself one in way better condition even if you had to do some engine work.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Better Cars all over Craigslist for less money.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:15 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,885 Likes on 793 Posts

As may have been said here already....."Run Forest, run!" That frame is major issue. Also, as noted above, if you are interested in buying a C2, get hooked up with someone who is very familiar and can tell you what is real, fake, bad or good. Suggest getting in contact with your local Corvette club and asking about someone who might be willing to help. Buying a "matching number" car is not something you need if you are just wanting a nice driver to enjoy. I had an expert look over my '65 before I bought it....then went over it myself and even spoke to the shop owner where it was restored....had photos and receipts of restoration (also had NCRS Top Flight docs and judging sheets). Made me feel a lot better before I plunked down my hard earned cash. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
As may have been said here already....."Run Forest, run!" That frame is major issue. Also, as noted above, if you are interested in buying a C2, get hooked up with someone who is very familiar and can tell you what is real, fake, bad or good. Suggest getting in contact with your local Corvette club and asking about someone who might be willing to help. Buying a "matching number" car is not something you need if you are just wanting a nice driver to enjoy. I had an expert look over my '65 before I bought it....then went over it myself and even spoke to the shop owner where it was restored....had photos and receipts of restoration (also had NCRS Top Flight docs and judging sheets). Made me feel a lot better before I plunked down my hard earned cash. Good luck in your search.

Wow! I'm usually not too partial to white, but that car is incredibly nice! Beautiful car!

Pat
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Found these guys on YouTube. Maybe they can find you what you are looking for in the model year range.

https://www.vanguardmotorsales.com

Quick Reply: Looking at a 63 Vert tomorrow - advice on what to look for