C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My Restomods are off to Barrett-Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Just saw the super sonic car on tv...looked great.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Well sold '57! Congrats!!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:27 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Rob
Congratulations on the sale of the 57 ! I just watched it cross the line on TV.

Regards
Dan
Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Wow! I wish I had seen this thread earlier and followed this more closely. I remember a few of these.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Took a beating on the 57 and the 63, the market was flooded and everyone was sitting on their hands, plenty of money in the room just not spending it. Quite a few of the Corvette guys bought their cars back.

Can we say market correction....

Gonna be a long ride home tomorrow. The 65 did very well and it’s going to a good home.

Last edited by Not Red Rob; 01-20-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I want to give a huge thank you to Elio from LS Classics, not only does he build amazing products but he is a great guy, he was a life saver for us tonight at the auction, the 65 arrived dead and BJ never told me until they came to take the car and the battery had been completely drained by the transporter. Elio spent $500 on booster packs and worked on the car with the mechanics for over 2 hours to get the life back in the battery to get the car to drive across the block. If any of you ever have the opportunity to work with him, I can guarantee you will be impressed.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:22 AM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Not Red Rob
Took a beating on the 57 and the 63, the market was flooded and everyone was sitting on their hands, plenty of money in the room just not spending it. Quite a few of the Corvette guys bought their cars back.

Gonna be a long ride home tomorrow. The 65 did very well and it’s going to a good home.

Hi Rob,

If I may ask, how did the Corvette guys buy their cars back? Did they have someone in the audience with a bidders badge to bid on the cars for them? Call me a rookie but I tried to buy mine back and BJ would not let me bid.

I am sorry to hear you did not do as well as you hoped. I too took a beating.

Thank you in advance for the advice so I will know next time.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:35 AM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vintage Steel

Hi Rob,

If I may ask, how did the Corvette guys buy their cars back? Did they have someone in the audience with a bidders badge to bid on the cars for them? Call me a rookie but I tried to buy mine back and BJ would not let me bid.

I am sorry to hear you did not do as well as you hoped. I too took a beating.

Thank you in advance for the advice so I will know next time.
Not sure, but that’s what we were told by the owner of one of the $200k cars that was parked beside mine. He possibly had a friend bid with the agreement to buy back.

Art Morrisons 3G only brought $170k I expected it to bust the bank, with all of the promotion.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:22 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I want to give a huge thank you to Elio from LS Classics, not only does he build amazing products but he is a great guy, he was a life saver for us tonight at the auction, the 65 arrived dead and BJ never told me until they came to take the car and the battery had been completely drained by the transporter. Elio spent $500 on booster packs and worked on the car with the mechanics for over 2 hours to get the life back in the battery to get the car to drive across the block. If any of you ever have the opportunity to work with him, I can guarantee you will be impressed.
a sellers worse nightmare....the car won’t start and has to be pushed onto the auction block! He was a life saver for sure!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:21 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I’m so sorry, Rob! Your 57 and 63 were just incredible. I was in on your 57 because I loved it so much, but just couldn’t afford 200k plus. I knew it was easily worth 250k.
Your 63 was far better than the red one that sold for 350k. The atmosphere was just dead all day....it was very odd!!!
Again, I’m sorry, but it was a pleasure meeting you. Your cars are simply stunning!
i was most shocked that the crap *** blue split window build with the 1/2” gaps sold for 300k. What a turd that car is and why it’s been on the block three years in a row is questionable!

Last edited by 65silververt; 01-20-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:43 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

So sorry to hear this Rob, all of those cars are stunners. I absolutely love the FI engine setup in the 65. The 57 is a solid work of art, and the 63 is beyond a work of art.

I "think" I saw a red 63 resto-mod go across for like $350K as I was half watching the auction on TV. Is that a reasonable number for a 63 resto-mod?

Last edited by emccomas; 01-20-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:37 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt

I’m so sorry, Rob! Your 57 and 63 were just incredible. I was in on your 57 because I loved it so much, but just couldn’t afford 200k plus. I knew it was easily worth 250k.
Your 63 was far better than the red one that sold for 350k. The atmosphere was just dead all day....it was very odd!!!
Again, I’m sorry, but it was a pleasure meeting you. Your cars are simply stunning!
i was most shocked that the crap *** blue split window build with the 1/2” gaps sold for 300k. What a turd that car is and why it’s been on the block three years in a row is questionable!
That's the details that you can't see on TV. It certainly makes you wonder why some cars go for "all the money" and others that "sweat the details" don't.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:43 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

All I know is that 67 is one of the nicest looking cars I’ve ever seen. Just out of curiosity, how did it end up having Dave introduce it on TV prior to the bidding? That was awesome.

Ed
Old 01-20-2019, 09:18 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
Shill bidding?

These so called "no reserve" auctions are a scam since this is allowed and legal. Makes the honest sellers chumps.
How do you have shill bidding at a no reserve auction?? If the bidding stops at sold on your shill bid you now own the car and the 10% buyers premium is added to your shill bid! What is the scam your talking about? Explain please. Who are you saying is the scammer here?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Rattenni
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rob,

Sorry to hear that things went so poorly for you. I am not into Restomods and usually FFWD over them when watching (even the Vettes). When I saw your '63 I thought it was amazing... but I am partial to '63. Your twin turbo intake scheme using the actual hood decorative screen locations was super (even Zora would love it). Every other aspect I could note from the TV screen told me it was over the top..... of all the Resto's I've seen this is one I would be proud to own! LouR
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,078 Posts

I thought yours were better than a lot of those. How did some cars get to have a reserve and others didn't?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Beautiful cars and although I could never afford one I respect the skill it takes to design and build one, let alone the quantity you offered at auction. One area on many resto's that drives me crazy is when overly large wheels with low profile tires are used. For some reason it just does not look right to me. Yours were excellent. As far as not selling well, it appeared to me as a viewer that they were presented too close together. The TV announcers seemed to be less enthusiastic and commented "oh well, ANOTHER restomod vette" quite often. I don't know if that rather bored response was reflected in the room or not but it came though the TV to me. I'll keep my eyes open now for more of your creations. Is there a name for your garage or shop that I can follow? Thanks.

Last edited by Bigredwing; 01-20-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My Restomods are off to Barrett-Jackson

Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Shill bidding?

These so called "no reserve" auctions are a scam since this is allowed and legal. Makes the honest sellers chumps.
That is not shill bidding! If you have someone buy the car back for you they pay the 8% sellers fee & the 10% buyers fee. I believe if BJ finds out you will not be able to see there again.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Shill bidding?

Just curious...would you sell your $200k car for $50k? Or or would you pay the fees and buy it back?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:23 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Happens all the time, search it.
What happens all the time? Shill bidding at no reserve auctions> Did you search it? Your accusing auction company of shill bidding? Facts? Who are you accusing of doing the shill bidding? How often do shill bidders end up with top bid?

Quick Reply: My Restomods are off to Barrett-Jackson