C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My Restomods are off to Barrett-Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:24 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Wasn't there but watched online with my friend you met at the auction that had 4 cars there. He didn't do very well either. Seems like this was the year for pickups & land rovers. There is no rime or reason what sells for what at auctions. The trick is to guess what's going to be hot next year. It's a game we play.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:26 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Not Red Rob
I want to give a huge thank you to Elio from LS Classics, not only does he build amazing products but he is a great guy, he was a life saver for us tonight at the auction, the 65 arrived dead and BJ never told me until they came to take the car and the battery had been completely drained by the transporter. Elio spent $500 on booster packs and worked on the car with the mechanics for over 2 hours to get the life back in the battery to get the car to drive across the block. If any of you ever have the opportunity to work with him, I can guarantee you will be impressed.
I have worked with Elio in the past, great guy! He not only does exceptional work on resto mods, he also is one of the premier restorers of NCRS/Bloomington mid years Vettes. Very sorry to hear that you did not do well with your cars.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Rob.
I hope overall you came out ok. I was also surprised the Morrison car didn't do better. I think the sweet spot to sell Saturday was between 3-6 Scottsdale time. Even watching on tv I could tell there was a change in the room. Told my wife I wouldn't have been happy about going after a charity car like your 57 did. Sometimes those charity cars suck all the momentum out of the room and it takes a while to come back around. Don't be discouraged you and Jaime build some nice cars. Maybe try Mecum Indy it's fairly close for you.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:07 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

question for you B/J sellers, not that anyone knows for sure but do people like Ron Pratt, Rick Hendrick and the guy in the sky box Staluppi (sp) do they pay full freight on commissions?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by car junkie
It would depend on what and why I was selling.

I would like to read the BJ contract on this stuff, are they allowing sellers to bid on their own cars to prevent low ball sales on no reserve cars?

If that's true, then everyone including the bidders would know it. Straight forward enough I guess but it's hard to say that that is not a deception on some level.

What's in the contract about "friend" shill bids? or is this something that's not even brought up, wink wink, it's legal!

Like I said, my research indicates shill bidding, at least in AZ, is not illegal. Is it unethical?, yeah, I think it is. In an advertised "no reserve auction", if shill bidders are involved, that's a kind of hidden reserve that can be used to take advantage of gullible bidders. From my perspective, that's where BJ makes a large portion of their profits.

BTW, I'm not excusing willful ignorance on the part of bidders, all this info is out there and easily found.

Buyer beware.

This is is ALL auctions ...not exclusive to BJ, Mecum has owner buybacks all the time. Know what you’re willing to pay, the value of the car, and bid up to it. Venues like this thrive on bidding wars and a touch of alcohol to loosen the inhibitions a bit.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
It's the very definition of shill bidding.

Read again
"Not sure, but that’s what we were told by the owner of one of the $200k cars that was parked beside mine. He possibly had a friend bid with the agreement to buy back."

The seller of this car decided it was in his interest to have a friend bid the price up and if he ended up buying it back and losing even more on this car, THE GAMBLE, it was worth it to him.

This is very easy to understand!
Not shill bidding. If the guy buys his car back he pays the 10% buyers premium and same sellers premium. Then takes his car back to find a buyer willing to pay what he feels is the right price. A gamble yes but perfectly legal and all bidders and sellers are aware who can bid!!! If they don't want to gamble go to a reserve auction like Mecum. Who is the scammer you were talking about? Buyers and sellers are all aware before signing an agreement with the auction house.

Last edited by RJ1; 01-20-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:36 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun

This is is ALL auctions ...not exclusive to BJ, Mecum has owner buybacks all the time. Know what you’re willing to pay, the value of the car, and bid up to it. Venues like this thrive on bidding wars and a touch of alcohol to loosen the inhibitions a bit.
Absolutely no reason to buy your car back at a reserve auction!!! Why would a seller ever buy back their car at a reserve auction?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It was a difficult night, back on the road heading home. I can’t see anything wrong with the guy having his friend buy the car, it cost the guy almost $40k to keep the car. I’m certain you as the seller cannot bid on your own car. It was a pleasure getting to meet Everyone, got to hang out with Kurt Bush, Dave Kindig, Christie Lee & Art Morrison throughout the week, along with quite a few Forum guys. Also had the owner of the 63 split window that Dave Kindig built on the show come by several times, and loved the cars.

Gonna lick my wounds and take a little break, then back at it again.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by RJ1
Absolutely no reason to buy your car back at a reserve auction!!! Why would a seller ever buy back their car at a reserve auction?

bc BJ is almost exclusively no reserve. Mecum does no reserve also. At a reserve auction, you’re right.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-20-2019 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ1 (01-20-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM
jspan123
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Agree Elio is great to work with. Did my 62 and now installing his product on my 67 with LS.
Really provides that extra cool factor to the ugly but performance driven LS.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:27 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Rob,
Did Adams give all the car sellers bags of product?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
Beautiful cars and although I could never afford one I respect the skill it takes to design and build one, let alone the quantity you offered at auction. One area on many resto's that drives me crazy is when overly large wheels with low profile tires are used. For some reason it just does not look right to me. Yours were excellent. As far as not selling well, it appeared to me as a viewer that they were presented too close together. The TV announcers seemed to be less enthusiastic and commented "oh well, ANOTHER restomod vette" quite often. I don't know if that rather bored response was reflected in the room or not but it came though the TV to me. I'll keep my eyes open now for more of your creations. Is there a name for your garage or shop that I can follow? Thanks.

about the look of the wheels and tires. " drives me crazy is when overly large wheels with low profile tires are used"

Last edited by CorvetteMikeB; 02-10-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: new sentence
Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 67's
Rob,
Did Adams give all the car sellers bags of product?
I'll answer for Rob...no, they did not.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:11 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Have you seen all the 6 figure sale prices of C1 & C2 Corvette Resto-Mods on TV at the Barrett-Jackson Auction??? It appears Resto-Mods are gaining more in popularity and are becoming more desirable to own. The announcers mentioned the much better improved drivability factor and reliability factor.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

One of the resto mod sellers at BJ reported here that a lot of the restomods were “bought” by their owners, because the bidding was too low. So while the numbers appear high, they obviously don’t cover the costs to build these cars.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM
Big Hit
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Funny thing I did also see the TV commercials, mentioned.
What was really funny or "cool" was the company running the dual Corvette GiveAway where you purchased one ticket to win two Corvettes, one being a new and the second being a RestoMod. The company used our Black Widow in the TV commercial.

Regarding Top Quality RestoMod C1 or C2's pricing I just placed our 63 RestoMod for sale and both Auction Companies have noticed our Black Widow C2 SWC ZR1- LS9 listed and are attempting to have us consign it.
Sounds like more & more Top Auction Companies customers are starting to realize what us RestoMod kids have always known.....

Life Is Great
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Hit
Funny thing I did also see the TV commercials, mentioned.
What was really funny or "cool" was the company running the dual Corvette GiveAway where you purchased one ticket to win two Corvettes, one being a new and the second being a RestoMod. The company used our Black Widow in the TV commercial.

Regarding Top Quality RestoMod C1 or C2's pricing I just placed our 63 RestoMod for sale and both Auction Companies have noticed our Black Widow C2 SWC ZR1- LS9 listed and are attempting to have us consign it.
Sounds like more & more Top Auction Companies customers are starting to realize what us RestoMod kids have always known.....

Life Is Great

Get notified of new replies

To My Restomods are off to Barrett-Jackson

Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The timeless design of these beautiful cars mixed with the performance and reliability of a modern Corvette is a combination that I don’t think is going away very soon.

However, I believe that the level of popularity these cars, has resulted in forcing us builders to continue to raise the bar on our cars.

Rob
The following 2 users liked this post by Not Red Rob:
65silververt (03-14-2019), Big Hit (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:58 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

The timeless design of these beautiful cars mixed with the performance and reliability of a modern Corvette is a combination that I don’t think is going away very soon.

However, I believe that the level of popularity these cars, has resulted in forcing us builders to continue to raise the bar on our cars.

Rob

The price will have to go up with the" Bar" or someone's going in the hole.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 PM
baker19
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Rob
Couldn't agree more. As you know I had a friend look at your black 63 at BJ and said it was spectacular. While I decided to sit on the sidelines and watch the prices at BJ, cars like yours and Jeff Hayes' red car pushed me over the edge to do one myself.

One small plug for Rob - his cars are absolutely fantastic builds and you my friend have an eye for design and a great feel for tasteful yet unique components to include in your builds! It's guys like you that are in fact raising the bar very high for others. Also you were kind enough to give me some offline insight into a unique component of your build and so you will recognize that on my car when it's complete and so thanks for that.

I've "borrowed" many ideas from guys before me like Rob to use on my 63 SWC resto-mod currently under construction. I've also realized how expensive and time consuming these high-end builds are to do right.

Agree that this is not going away anytime soon but the bar continues to be raised every day.

I think the quote from Ferris Beuller sums it up "If you have the means, I highly recommend it"

Quick Reply: My Restomods are off to Barrett-Jackson