C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is it worth

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Good suggestions guys, and I appreciate it.

After checking all of my resources, and going back over the list of parts, and talking again with the owner, we have decided on a price of $8000 for everything as is.

The one thing I know for sure is that we will find a lot more parts for that car once we start digging.

Her late husband stored crap everywhere. He even bought old buses so he could store parts in them. Talk about a hoarder. Both buses are still full of parts, either C1 or C2 parts, of classic chevy (1955-1957) parts.

I have been dealing with his hoard for about 8 years now, and I still find things that surprise me.

Did I mention that I found an old watch inside a 1954 Bel Air 4 door sedan. The watch tuned out to be a 1959 vintage Breitling NavTimer 804. We sold the watch for more than twice what the 1954 Bel Air brought. Nobody had any idea that watch was in there.

Anyway, she doesn't want to mess with Ebay, and I have to respect her wishes. My job is to make recommendations, then implement whatever decision she makes. And like I said before, she wasn't going to sell any of the old Corvettes, so this is a change.

So, I need to start locating the parts for the car, gather them all together, make sure the wheels turn on the car, then contact the potential buyers. There are three people who know about the car that are already interested. They are waiting for her to make the decision to sell, and the price.

Thanks again everyone, we will see what happens.

I will try to remember to get a picture of the car once I locate all of the parts that go with it.

Last edited by emccomas; 01-11-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Hi - jv04 …. What's it worth ? … "whatever some one is willing to pay" is a time worn cliché … maybe the question should be "what's its' value" : I know you're trying to determine value, but by what benchmark ? eBay ? is eBay as the sole arbiter going to provide you with an accurate benchmark of worth ? both listings you've referenced I don't think are, as both vehicles, if you can call them that are incomplete and just a pile of parts, basically junk. … so the next question is; what "value" are you offering a prospective purchaser, upon what basis are you determining your "base line" price ? is it a sum that is equal to the value of the individual parts or is it a price that is greater that the sum of the individual parts; which leads to this question; is the intent of the prospective purchaser being considered ie to rebuild a collection of parts into a viable car; and if so what other parts go with the car, will there be enough parts collectively to build a complete car, are you providing value in the sale … it's a bit like inviting a guest to dinner, but you eat all the food and leave the guest with an empty plate; … this is a link to a car found in Iowa …. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iowa-farm.html … it was a complete car, the total amount invested to return the car to the road was $40k which included the purchase of the car … you're asking $8k ; so would it take $32k to return your "car" to the road; or will the purchaser have to spend more than that to do so; will the purchaser see value in the price paid plus costs to complete - … as I see it, the value in this car is authentication of ownership, the number, type and condition of parts that will go with the car, and the condition of the Bird Cage and Chassis which has been sitting exposed to the elements for twenty odd years; is there something left on the table for the guest to have a meal, what value is being offered to make the contract fair - Best Regards GV

Originally Posted by jv04
Good suggestions guys, and I appreciate it.

After checking all of my resources, and going back over the list of parts, and talking again with the owner, we have decided on a price of $8000 for everything as is.

The one thing I know for sure is that we will find a lot more parts for that car once we start digging.

Her late husband stored crap everywhere. He even bought old buses so he could store parts in them. Talk about a hoarder. Both buses are still full of parts, either C1 or C2 parts, of classic chevy (1955-1957) parts.

I have been dealing with his hoard for about 8 years now, and I still find things that surprise me.

Did I mention that I found an old watch inside a 1954 Bel Air 4 door sedan. The watch tuned out to be a 1959 vintage Breitling NavTimer 804. We sold the watch for more than twice what the 1954 Bel Air brought. Nobody had any idea that watch was in there.

Anyway, she doesn't want to mess with Ebay, and I have to respect her wishes. My job is to make recommendations, then implement whatever decision she makes. And like I said before, she wasn't going to sell any of the old Corvettes, so this is a change.

So, I need to start locating the parts for the car, gather them all together, make sure the wheels turn on the car, then contact the potential buyers. There are three people who know about the car that are already interested. They are waiting for her to make the decision to sell, and the price.

Thanks again everyone, we will see what happens.

I will try to remember to get a picture of the car once I locate all of the parts that go with it.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

just curious GV, what is this pile of parts value to you? Assuming you were a buyer for this load of parts resembling a car, how much would you be willing to pay based only upon the description and photos provided here?
And, welcome to the Corvette Forum. Good to have you aboard.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

There is a guy with a want ad looking to trade 2 corvettes for a mid year project. They would be easier sells probably.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

jv,
I think you're safe at $8K.
The car will probably sell at that price.
Greg
Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
jv,
I think you're safe at $8K.
The car will probably sell at that price.
Greg
to a blind man maybe. take what ever is offer and be glad you do not have to pay to get rid of it.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:23 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
to a blind man maybe. take what ever is offer and be glad you do not have to pay to get rid of it.

even if there IS a whole car worth of parts that come with it if the parts look like the car then literally nothing is decent as is.

Frankie I believe once observed or passed on an observation that at some low level of project quality you are no longer selling a car- you’re selling the dream of the car instead. This is one of those projects.

I commend you wanting to help the widow.
The following users liked this post:
GTOguy (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 364 Posts

Put these pictures on craigslist saying best offer and see what the market will hand you, that is a better guage of value than any of our opinions, plus it will give us something to talk about on the thread of "opinions of cars for sale" on here that always has craigslist cars on it.

Last edited by Rob_64-365; 01-11-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Hi 65hihp - Thanks for the warm welcome, I look forward to our continuing correspondence.

It's a good question you have posed, and a conundrum raised before and I guess will continue to be raised generally many times in the future, by anyone wishing to build a car, "what is this pile of parts value to you / me"

If I can paraphrase what I wrote above … "as I see it, the value in this car is authentication of ownership, the number, type, and condition of parts that will go with the car, and the condition of the Bird Cage and Chassis which has been sitting exposed to the elements for twenty odd years"

(a) The paperwork verifies ownership, more importantly it will assist in the transfer of ownership being recognised and registered by a Govt Road Authority allowing the "car" to be used on public roads, The Vin Tag is there but not the Trim Tag, that's not good, which may pose a problem in authenticating the identity of the "car" if one is wanting to eventually register the "car" for use on public roads.

(b) Parts, are there enough parts, especially key parts available to make a complete "car" or do you have to dig deep into your pocket to replace key parts that are missing, what type of parts are available, again are key parts like doors or trunk lid or hood missing, and small parts even though small which are difficult to source and expensive to purchase, are they available.

(c) What condition are these parts in, are they so worn and corroded that they can't be refurbished and they need to be replaced anyway, and the big one … all the little nuts, bolts, screws, clips, washers, wiper arms, window cranks, steering column & wheel, jewellery, etc etc etc … you'd really have to be a C2 expert to know what is missing, what needs replacing, and what is usable … the "shell" is pretty beat up, so there's a lot of body work there before the paint goes on … the chassis and bird cage supposedly restored, but these items which are key, they too are of questionable condition being outside and exposed to the elements for the past twenty years plus, they'll need work too, bushings, rubbers, etc etc

Based on what's been presented, if your intention is to re-build a car to use on public roads, I don't think this collection of parts is a viable purchase.

However, if your intention is to purchase to add parts and assist in the completion of another project, or build a car for limited off road use, say a race car, then maybe it might be worth ruminating upon the value(s) based on a particular need … "not to be confused with a want which is based upon a dream"

Personally, I'd view this as a collection of parts, and value would be based on the sum of the individual parts, which in turn is dependent upon condition.

I applaud jv04, his intent to assist a distressed damsel is Noble - Best Regards - GV

Originally Posted by 65hihp
just curious GV, what is this pile of parts value to you? Assuming you were a buyer for this load of parts resembling a car, how much would you be willing to pay based only upon the description and photos provided here?
And, welcome to the Corvette Forum. Good to have you aboard.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

A resto modder will want it. Put it on Bring a Trailer, you’ll get a ton of interest.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonio
A resto modder will want it. Put it on Bring a Trailer, you’ll get a ton of interest.

pffft. Put it on bring a trailer and you’ll find out the bottom dollar. Bring a trailer skews European, Japanese, and funky. I’ve sold British on there with success.

If the op wants to know what it’s really worth to a restomod builder PM Mike Coletta he will tell you.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:02 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

The front clip for a 63 is worth a fair amount of money if it is original and not hit. You could offer body parts for sale and the rest of what you have goes with it. If the front clip is a no hit and in good shape you may be able to sell it for $5,000 to $8,000.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB

pffft. Put it on bring a trailer and you’ll find out the bottom dollar. Bring a trailer skews European, Japanese, and funky. I’ve sold British on there with success.

If the op wants to know what it’s really worth to a restomod builder PM Mike Coletta he will tell you.
But where to sell it? On this forum? Maybe. I would think a world wide audience would be better. But what do I know?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts

I would take anything over $5K and run like the wind in the other direction. Have you checked the frame #s to see if they match the pop rivet VIN tag. Just say in maybe it's 3 cars. JMHO. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
If the front clip is a no hit and in good shape you may be able to sell it for $5,000 to $8,000.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I would bet that fiberglass, what's left of it is thin as tissue paper and brittle as a potato chip.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:42 PM
itsforfun
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If YOU are buying "stuff", YOU promised Her late husband YOU would help sell at his death, YOU are going to end up in trouble. Somewhere in the near future, somebody will suggest that YOU "got a deal" on the "stuff". And even though She did not NEED the money and YOU paid a fair price, YOU will come under strict scrutiny for the deal! You will NEVER be able to convenience people who "hear" about the deal that your motives were sincere. And She will have the lingering doubt about the deal. Your relationship will suffer.
The only fair way for YOU to come out unblemished is to have an auction!

Get notified of new replies

To What is it worth

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
You’re right. Nothing there to sell. Dump fees?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,330 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonio

But where to sell it? On this forum? Maybe. I would think a world wide audience would be better. But what do I know?
The forum is a world-wide audience.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by itsforfun
If YOU are buying "stuff", YOU promised Her late husband YOU would help sell at his death, YOU are going to end up in trouble. Somewhere in the near future, somebody will suggest that YOU "got a deal" on the "stuff". And even though She did not NEED the money and YOU paid a fair price, YOU will come under strict scrutiny for the deal! You will NEVER be able to convenience people who "hear" about the deal that your motives were sincere. And She will have the lingering doubt about the deal. Your relationship will suffer.
The only fair way for YOU to come out unblemished is to have an auction!
I am NOT buying this car.

When her late husband asked me to assist his wife (our last in person conversation before he passed away), I told him that I would do it with one condition. The condition was / is that I NEVER purchase any of the cars or parts. I did not want people, particularly the wife's miserable poor excuse for a human being son-in law, to ever question why I was putting a value that I did on something.

And so far, with over 50 cars sold, as well as quite a few rare parts (2 Rochester FI units, the nicest pair of 1st version 1956 two bolt ram horn manifolds that I have ever seen, a 1956 two four barrel set up, etc.) I have never bought or accepted as a fee / present / gift ANYTHING from the wife, with ONE exception.

She found an old Hill Chevrolet mechanics overcoat (Hill Chevrolet was the original Chevy dealer in the Huntsville area) and offered it to me. I refused to take it, again stating that I would not accept any form of payment for this work. She then said that I HAD to take it, because fate said so.

The name of the mechanic embroidered on the front of the mechanics overcoat was "Ed" (which is my name). The dollar value of this overcoat is maybe $50 to the right person, but to me it is priceless.

I took lots of pictures of the various cars that we sold over the years, and I had them put into a Shutterfly book as a present for the wife and daughter. I gave it to her a couple of days ago, which is when she mentioned (for the first time) the possibility of selling the 63.

I do not know if the frame number on the 63 chassis matches the VIN tag. I may try to determine that, or may not. The VIN tag on the car is clean, with no issues.

So, we do not need to have an auction, and the wife is pretty well set against auctions (but I will ask again).

Quick Reply: What is it worth